How to Overcome Fear, Anxiety and Worry

By   •   May 18, 2015   •   Topics: ,

Historians will probably call our era “the age of anxiety.” Anxiety is the natural result when our hopes are centered in anything short of God and His will for us. —Billy Graham

When Billy Graham wrote those words in 1965, no one knew how true they would be 50 years later.

At its best, anxiety distracts us from our relationship with God and the truth that He is “Lord of heaven and earth” (Matthew 11:25). At its worst, anxiety is a crippling disease, taking over our minds and plunging our thoughts into darkness.

But God wants so much more for us than to walk through life full of fear, worry and anxiety.

“Do not be anxious about anything,” the Bible tells us in the book of Philippians, chapter 4, “but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Our instructions don’t stop there. The chapter goes on to tell believers exactly what we should focus on. And it’s not fear, terrorism, illness, death or evil.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you” (Philippians 4:8-9, ESV, emphasis added).

The first step to an anxiety-free mind is to give your life to Jesus Christ. Once you’ve taken that step, it’s important to fix your thoughts on Jesus and the promise that He is preparing a place for His followers in heaven (John 14:2-3).

Below are some resources meant to help you overcome fear and anxiety and live life the way Jesus teaches us—a life full of faith, truth, hope, peace and joy:

True peace comes from a relationship with Jesus. Choose peace with God today.

1. Kevin bukhaya jr says:

Great work there, especially for the youth in this generation.

2. Maria says:

God is good ALL the time!!

3. Charlie Benton says:

Thank you.

4. Hannah says:

I struggle with anxiety on a daily basis and lately it has been a lot worse than normal. I found that through writing it helps calm me down. Sometimes I write my prayers out, sometimes I just simply write down Bible verses that are directed toward whatever emotion I am feeling at the time. Then I just simply read them over and over. It seemingly helps calm my nerves. If you will though keep me in your prayers, as I will you. I feel as though anxiety is robbing me of my joy right now. I serve an awesome God, and I know in His time, He will take this away from me.

5. Marilee Joyce says:

Helen
    You posted your comment last month but I hope you see this. I want you to know that Jesus loves you and that He wants to ease your anxiety and pain, I know the “human” in us struggles to trust, but please put your faith and trust and hope solely in Jesus Christ and know that He wants to carry this burden. Relief and freedom from your anxiety is just a prayer away, God bless you and all who read this and who need God’s perfect peace — the only true source of peace.

6. Tim Rhyne says:

7. Samuel Aladinrin says:

I thank God for reading these words on anxiety. God bless you as I was gladly blessed.

8. Cynthia says:

I have been so stressed out because of the latest news on the media. My husband told me to read the Bible and I then found this article. It made me feel better. God’s grace and mercy is so amazing! He is so good to us! Praise His name! Thank you, God, for protecting your sheep and keeping us sheltered from the storms of life.

9. Gemma says:

I have always believed in God and our Lord Jesus. But sometimes I feel like he has forgotten me! I feel so selfish feeling like this, but I still try to put my children first, no matter my feelings. I will have full happiness soon as long as I believe. 🙏 📖 ⛪

10. Sandra smith says:

I want to thank you for the advice.