How to Overcome Fear, Anxiety and Worry

By   •   May 18, 2015   •   Topics: ,

Historians will probably call our era “the age of anxiety.” Anxiety is the natural result when our hopes are centered in anything short of God and His will for us. —Billy Graham

When Billy Graham wrote those words in 1965, no one knew how true they would be 50 years later.

At its best, anxiety distracts us from our relationship with God and the truth that He is “Lord of heaven and earth” (Matthew 11:25). At its worst, anxiety is a crippling disease, taking over our minds and plunging our thoughts into darkness.

But God wants so much more for us than to walk through life full of fear, worry and anxiety.

“Do not be anxious about anything,” the Bible tells us in the book of Philippians, chapter 4, “but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Our instructions don’t stop there. The chapter goes on to tell believers exactly what we should focus on. And it’s not fear, terrorism, illness, death or evil.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you” (Philippians 4:8-9, ESV, emphasis added).

The first step to an anxiety-free mind is to give your life to Jesus Christ. Once you’ve taken that step, it’s important to fix your thoughts on Jesus and the promise that He is preparing a place for His followers in heaven (John 14:2-3).

Below are some resources meant to help you overcome fear and anxiety and live life the way Jesus teaches us—a life full of faith, truth, hope, peace and joy:

True peace comes from a relationship with Jesus. Choose peace with God today.

1. Virginia says:

Just want prayer for worry anxiety depression for years. Learn to relax and I love God with my heart.

2. Marcy says:

I need help

1. BGEA says:

Hi Marcy,
      Thank you for reaching out. A member of our team would be honored to talk with you. Please call toll-free: 1-877-247-2426 or visit https://peacewithgod.net/ and click on the chat icon.

3. Marcy says:

I am a Christian but I need to get closer to Jesus Christ as my lord and saviour. Sometimes I pray and still worry about my problem . It’s like am losing my faith in Christ.

1. Renae A says:

I know exactly what you’re going through. I am in the middle of possibly making a huge decision right now, whether or not to buy a car. I am afraid that I won’t be able to make it work come when I go back to college in the near future. I know if I just have faith it will be okay, and I pray about it, but I still worry. I feel like I don’t have the faith in God that I should…. I’m praying about that too, and I’ll certainly pray for you as well.

4. Patrick says:

Thanks

5. Elaine M. Matchett says:

Looking forward to receiving your updates.

6. Joshua says:

I am a minister who is a single father I ask for prayer because I am battling anxiety like never before the enemy is trying to make think I’m sick with a disease that I know Jesus told me I don’t have and it’s causing my body to feel sick. I will over come this n I just lost my job Jan 31st. I’m not ashamed of my struggles I need help. Minister or not, we are one body in the Lord Jesus I appreciate every prayer that’s prayed for me. Love you guys in Jesus name

1. Stacy says:

Dear Joshua,
      While I was searching for ways to help my severe anxiety and panic attacks, I came across your post. I am sorry that you are suffering. I am a single mom going through something similar. I am currently unemployed also, and was taking care of my parents when they were ill at the same time. My daughter is on medical leave from college and needs a 60K surgery that my insurance won’t pay for, I am Catholic and fell far away from my church, lost my faith and hope.
      I actually looked up the cost for cremation because I felt like ending it all because I cannot make my daughter better and she suffers horribly.
      I then read your post again and decided to go talk to a priest tomorrow.
      I hope you feel better soon and I hope I do too.

7. Ro2 says:

I’ve been a christian for many years and until now have not been able to overcome worry, fear ane anxiety. Please I need your praye with me.

8. Ro2 says:

I’m a christian but struggle with with worry, fear and anxiety. Please pray for deliverance and healing of heart and mind. Thank you.

9. Joy says:

A few months ago our family experienced a suicide in the family. Ever since then, I have feared that I might do the same. My anxiety gets the best of me and I begin to get scared of myself (as crazy as it seems). I would greatly appreciate prayer over my life that God will show me His truth daily and that the enemy will not longer attack my mind.

10. Elena says:

I am a Christian but I struggle with worry and anxiety. Please pray for healing of my mind and deliverance thank you!

1. Susan says:

I’m praying for you to have peace and calmness. I was awakened in the middle of the night with worry and fear myself, so please pray for me too-thank you!