How to Overcome Fear, Anxiety and Worry

By   •   May 18, 2015   •   Topics: ,

Historians will probably call our era “the age of anxiety.” Anxiety is the natural result when our hopes are centered in anything short of God and His will for us. —Billy Graham

When Billy Graham wrote those words in 1965, no one knew how true they would be 50 years later.

At its best, anxiety distracts us from our relationship with God and the truth that He is “Lord of heaven and earth” (Matthew 11:25). At its worst, anxiety is a crippling disease, taking over our minds and plunging our thoughts into darkness.

But God wants so much more for us than to walk through life full of fear, worry and anxiety.

“Do not be anxious about anything,” the Bible tells us in the book of Philippians, chapter 4, “but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Our instructions don’t stop there. The chapter goes on to tell believers exactly what we should focus on. And it’s not fear, terrorism, illness, death or evil.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you” (Philippians 4:8-9, ESV, emphasis added).

The first step to an anxiety-free mind is to give your life to Jesus Christ. Once you’ve taken that step, it’s important to fix your thoughts on Jesus and the promise that He is preparing a place for His followers in heaven (John 14:2-3).

Below are some resources meant to help you overcome fear and anxiety and live life the way Jesus teaches us—a life full of faith, truth, hope, peace and joy:

True peace comes from a relationship with Jesus. Choose peace with God today.

1. Charity Johnson says:

Need prayer for my anxiety. I don’t know which way to go. I need God like never before in my life.

2. Jeff Moulton says:

So needed to find this today! I know it’s Gods will for me to have run across this!

3. Jacob says:

Please Christian family pray for me.. I’m a 19 year old young man and I’ve recently developed anxiety and depression that’s been taking over my brain and how I feel during the whole day.. I’m trying so hard to rid my mind of these fears and thoughts and I’m reading my word and giving it all to the Lord and I feel as nothing is changing even though I’m trying:( I really need prayer family.

4. Darlene Breeden says:

Good

5. Kate says:

Pray for me. I have depression, spirit of fear.

1. Darlene Breeden says:

Pray for me anxiety only God can help me

2. Tracy Bush says:

I need the lord daily. I am convinced more and more that I have fallen away and my problem maybe that even though I thought I have turned my life over to him I haven’t. I want to pray and lift all these going thru anxiety because it is a lie of the enemy and it plagues you with fear and helplessness. I want the bondage to be broken from this and a new spirit to come alive.

6. john marube says:

pray for my life. fear and worries are my daily propblems

7. Amber says:

I suffer from severe anxiety and obsessive compulsive thoughts. At times these things make me feel completely and utterly insane literally. The words of our Lord Jesus and the word of God are all that I can trust in this world. Thank you for posting these verses. Defiantly could use more promising words of affermation as this world is evil and it’s a daily struggle.

8. Samuel Radebe says:

Need more of the motivational statements about fear,anxiety and worry