Anxiety is the natural result when our hopes are centered in anything short of God and His will for us. —Billy Graham
When Billy Graham wrote those words in 1965, no one knew how true they would be 50 years later.
At its best, anxiety distracts us from our relationship with God and the truth that He is “Lord of heaven and earth” (Matthew 11:25). At its worst, anxiety is a crippling disease, taking over our minds and plunging our thoughts into darkness.
But God wants so much more for us than to walk through life full of fear, worry and anxiety.
“Do not be anxious about anything,” the Bible tells us in the book of Philippians, chapter 4, “but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
Our instructions don’t stop there. The chapter goes on to tell believers exactly what we should focus on. And it’s not fear, terrorism, illness, death or evil.
“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you” (Philippians 4:8-9, ESV, emphasis added).
The first step to an anxiety-free mind is to give your life to Jesus Christ. Once you’ve taken that step, it’s important to fix your thoughts on Jesus and the promise that He is preparing a place for His followers in heaven (John 14:2-3).
Below are some resources meant to help you overcome fear and anxiety and live life the way Jesus teaches us—a life full of faith, truth, hope, peace and joy:
- 10 Bible Verses on Anxiety and Fear: What God’s Word says about being anxious.
- How Can I Deal with Crippling Anxiety? A response from BGEA staff.
- Is it Wrong to Take Medicine for Anxiety? Billy Graham’s Answer.
- The Cure for Anxiety: A timeless radio message from Billy Graham.
- 15 Quotes for an Anxious Heart: A collection of inspiring graphics to read, post and share.
- What’s Wrong with the World? A mobile-friendly page with Steps to Peace with God.