Billy Graham’s Daughter Kicks off My Hope Week in Black Mountain

By Lisa Moseley   •   November 5, 2013

Gigi-Graham

Nestled in the Blue Ridge range of the Appalachian Mountains is the quiet town of Black Mountain, N.C. For residents of Montreat, longtime home of Billy Graham, this small suburb is more than their neighbor; it’s a place where they claim as their own.

So when the announcement was made that Billy Graham would be presenting a new message, the local community took notice. Montreat Community Church, where Gigi Graham and her family are members, spearheaded an effort to bring My Hope America to Mr. Graham’s own neighbors.

“A large majority of the business owners in Black Mountain are Christian,” Gigi said. “Daddy always said it’s worth it even if just one will commit their lives [to Christ].”

Invitations were distributed to local merchants so they could invite their customers to a birthday celebration for Billy Graham at the Black Mountain Center for the Arts. A framed photo of Mr. Graham’s late wife, Ruth Bell Graham, sits inside the center, which she helped raise funds to build.

The meeting room set up for the viewing of My Hope America’s first program installment entitled “Defining Moments” quickly filled to capacity. There were people standing in the doorway to catch a glimpse of this important message.

And when they realized even that wasn’t enough, a second room up the stairs from the first – staged with cupcakes and punch for guests to enjoy after the screening – turned into a secondary viewing space.

At the end of the presentation, Gigi Graham’s husband, and My Hope regional coordinator, Jim Wilson gave an invitation for those in attendance. In a room that was full of mostly Christians, six people indicated decisions to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

Gigi shared that in her father’s early days of preaching, he was once filling in for renowned pastor Torrey Johnson at an event where the leaders were not confident in the young Graham’s substitution. Even then when just one man came forward at the invitation, it was all for the glory of God.

“My father impressed that the way to spell evangelism was P-R-A-Y,” Gigi said. “That is what we continue to do for My Hope. We will pray that these programs will reach even one that need to hear the Word.”

For local and national TV listings of “The Cross,” click here.

1. Shirley says:

My husband and I have watch you a long time!! he used to get up and go out when you gave the alter service,(when we watch on TV….He is a retired minister! It caught up with him!! praise the Lord!!Happy Birthday!!

2. Anna says:

Happy Birthday beloved brother in Christ! May God continue to use you in miraculous ways. Thank you for your faithful service to Christ Jesus in the last 50 years. The message of hope for all to hear. I will watch “My Hope For America” God Bless!

3. Mike says:

Happy Birthday Dr. Graham!God continues to bless America through you.

4. Diana says:

Have a blessed birthday! Thank you for showing the love of Jesus to the world. I am praying for multitudes to be saved tonight.

5. Cathy Endorf says:

Happy Birthday! Thank you and Bless you for all your years of preaching. You are my hero of the world. Thank you Lord for sharing Mr Graham in my journey in life. Cathy Endorf

6. Cathy Endorf says:

7. Betty says:

Happy Birthday Thankyou for being a faithful servant for our Lord. Your willingness has touched so many lives including mine. I felt the conviction in my heart and I continue to draw nearer to Our Lord Jesus Christ

8. amy says:

Happy Birthday, Dr. Graham! I grew up watching you on television with my family. I praise the Lord for all He has done through your unfettered willingness to share the gospel. You a beacon of light in this dark world and I am thankful for you.

9. Daphne says:

I attended a BG rally in OKC as a teenager. I wrote a research paper about him at Will Rogers HS (Tulsa) in the 50s. And today I am a volunteer with BGEA, “SearchforJesus.org” (online evangelism). May God continue to bless you and BGEA. With love!

10. Charlene says:

My family has been blessed by your ministry since the beginning; Dad sang at your first tent meeting in 1949, Charles Turner, and I was saved at the early age of 9 at that first meeting. A very blessed and happy birthday from our house to yours!