Billy Graham’s Advent Devotion, Week 3: Sharing the True Christmas Message

By   •   December 9, 2016   •   Topics:

Live Nativity scene; Volunteers as Mary, Joseph, shepherds; also a camel, llama
The live Nativity is always a favorite at Christmas at the Billy Graham Library.

Do you know people who need to hear about God’s love and forgiveness? Billy Graham’s third Advent meditation focuses on sharing the true Christmas message.

Week Three: December 11-17

Read Luke 2:8-10—On that first Christmas night, the angels appeared to shepherds on a hill near Bethlehem. Alfred Edersheim, the great 19th-century Jewish-Christian scholar, wrote in his book The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah that the shepherds and the sheep to whom the angels appeared near Bethlehem were no ordinary shepherds and sheep.

The sheep were those bound for the temple sacrifices. The shepherds were outcasts because of their necessary isolation from religious ordinances. And their manner of life rendered legal observances unlikely, if not absolutely impossible.

How wonderful that in God’s wisdom and love the angels should appear to them—the doomed and the outcast—that night.

Today we can declare to the world that the Good Shepherd cares for all people and wants to give them peace. Christ came on that first Christmas for one great purpose—to die on the cross for our sins. Now God offers forgiveness, inner peace and eternal life to all who will repent and believe in His Son. This is the Christmas message!

Do you know people who need to hear about God’s love and forgiveness? Will you share the true Christmas message with them this year?

>> Read Week 1 of the Advent devotion

>> Read Week 2 of the Advent devotion

You can have peace today.

1. Mary Wood says:

It has been a difficult year. We moved from my hometown to a new city, a new home, in March. My husband was having heart problems and 4 weeks after we moved here he ended up in hospital where he died a week later. Praise God he went to be with Jesus. I have been leaning on His strength as I adjust to a new place and being on my own. Fortunately my oldest son & his family live here and I also have a sister here and another sister an hour away. God is good and He has proven His faithfulness to me.

2. Paul Roosenberg says:

Thank you and may our Lord continue to bless your endeavors

3. Giggy says:

I always thoroughly enjoy these wonderful messages. Thank you and may each of you have a truly Christ centered Christmas.

4. Rex Hess says:

Fascinating! I,d never heard that information about the sheep and the shepherds before. The devotional threw new light on how God plans. – for me.

5. charley clark says:

Never in my life has the world needed Jesus Christ more than it does in this time in History.Charley Clark age 78

6. Jacqueline says:

My father who is now 70 was saved at a Billy Graham crusade when he was younger I think in his early 20s in Australia. My Dad is really unwell at the moment and I’ve started watching all the old sermons of Billy Graham myself Love the way he spoke and sends through some great messages. Would love to receive the devotions.

7. Carmen B Leuck says:

Thank you for the Advent devotional.

8. Jack jones says:

Praise theLord always

9. Glenda Peek Hornsby says:

I have watched you since I was 3 yr’s old I fell deeply in love with you Billy Graham I told my Mom and Daddy I was going to marry you when I got big I have always loved you and I will always pray for you I can’t wait to meet you and Ruth in heaven it will be an an honor l will finally meet you at the Pearly Gates of Heaven and rejious in our Almighty Lord and his son Jesus Christ Thank you for devoting your life to him for you have many people on this earth and you will be Crowned with so many you won’t be able to hold your head up it with the Lords help you will be able to I love you so much and can’t wait to meet you in heaven I’m praying for that day to come soon I love you Glenda Peek Hornsby

10. Frankie Sorrell says:

This is the true message of Christmas. Your relationship to Jesus is the most important and the only way to having peace in your life.