National Day of Prayer Event Held at Billy Graham Library

By   •   May 1, 2014

People gather in the Billy Graham Library lobby

There’s something about walking through the entryway of the Billy Graham Library with its iconic cross-shaped window towering overhead.

And Thursday, as people gathered at the Library in observance of the National Day of Prayer, entering at the foot of the cross seemed especially fitting.

This year, Billy Graham’s daughter Anne Graham Lotz serves as honorary chairman of the National Day of Prayer—a title both Billy and Franklin Graham have held.

The Library event started with a recorded reading of this year’s national prayer. In it, Lotz urges a spirit of repentance and revival and that, “we choose to stop pointing our finger at the sins of others, and examine our own hearts and lives.”

“For the glory of Your Name hear our prayer, forgive our sin, and heal our land,” Lotz says in the prayer.

David Yerry, director of development for the Billy Graham Library, then read the Lord’s Prayer. Serving at BGEA for 19 years, he said one thing has remained constant in the ministry.

“Prayer was foundational to the core Billy Graham team,” Yerry said. “It’s really woven into the fibers of everything we do.”

Though the National Day of Prayer unites people across the U.S. to pray like attendees did at the Library, he noted that both individual and corporate prayer is important every day.

Billy Graham’s longtime friend and ministry partner Cliff Barrows once told Yerry how people would gather and kneel on sawdust covered floors before the 1949 Los Angeles Crusade.

“The floor would be wet with their tears,” Yerry said. “[Prayer] really is something we do.”

A Place for Prayer

Day in and day out, Library volunteers get to see the power of prayer.

“Occasionally you see someone that comes in here and fights with God, and as soon as they go through those doors and hear [Billy Graham preaching], ‘Yes there’s coming a great day of judgment!’ they open the door and come running out under conviction,” Library volunteer Cecil Pruette said.

“The best part is so many go through there, come into the prayer room and accept the Lord as their Savior. That’s what it’s all about,” he added.

Pruette, who’s been a volunteer since the Library opened in 2007, prays with a group of friends every Monday morning for revival across the nation.

“Prayer is vital in everybody’s life, especially a Christian’s life,” he explained. “Because you are praying not so much for yourself, but for others who may be outside their salvation.”

Pruette prayed as a young boy for God to make him “healthy, wealthy and wise.” Outside of eye problems, he says he’s in good health for a 76-year-old. And a day away from a return visit to Honduras, Pruette has been on more mission trips than years he’s lived—77.

“God has blessed me,” he said.

The focus of the 63rd annual National Day of Prayer observance is centered on Romans 15:6, “So that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

“Today is a great recognition, but we need to pray every day,” Pruette said. “If you have a friend, you talk to you your friend. God is our friend, and you have to talk to Him.”

1. Milkias Tasisa says:

God bless BillyG&the whole his family through his journey to heaven,may God make us those who finish their journey…pray for me in that i would be a good follower of Jesus

2. camellia sprouse says:

I thank god for the Graham’s. im a new child in Christ, I love hearing anything u have to say. I really would like to have the dvd 7 days in the HOLLY LAND. thank you god bless u

3. faith kevin Elikem says:

I want to follow you from now on, please pray for me for God to speak to me and to send his spirit to me I avail myself for him to use me, thank you!

4. Marjorie Sides says:

It was an honor, privilege, and exciting to be a participant of the National Day of Prayer at the Billy Graham Library.

5. april says:

I am always excited to listen to Billy Graham I have gone to many of his crudisaid and there been very touching I would like to some day come to his library but I don’t know where that is if that possible God Bless you and the family

6. Betty Thompson says:

My husband and I have followed Billy Graham with our prayers since the beginning of his ministry. We praise God for the many who have found our Savior and are walking in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Praying that many others will come to know His daily presence in their lives.

7. Barbara Peterson says:

Praise the good Lord!!!

8. Rose Sadler says:

not real sure this is the place to say that you’re not but I need to be remembered in prayer I have lost to son’s in the last 9 years I’m trying so hard to follow Jesus and understand anger seems to get in the way has started smoking again after quitting for a year I need prayer desperately.

1. cindi says:

Rose I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine the pain you have suffered. I was just wondering what your son would say to you if he could. Would he want you to be happy and not angry? Would he want you to have peace in your heart? Would he tell you of the happiness that he has found in his fathers arms? I pray that the love of our Father fills your heart, and that someday soon you find peace

2. Jeff says:

I prayed for you, Rose. Promise may that you will pray and talk to God who loves you so much that he sent His Son to die for you.

3. Kim says:

Rose, you are covered in the blood of Christ. You pain, your fears, your worries & doubts are all in God’s strong and gentle hands. He will guide you through this. Cling to his direction and provision – and keep your eyes open for the blessings he will bring to you through your current circumstances.

4. Bob Tucci says:

I too am addicted to tobacco. I will pray fo r you, please pray for