God’s Plan for Japan

By   •   October 14, 2010

As I write this letter, I am preparing to travel to Japan for an evangelistic Crusade in Osaka, the country’s second-largest city. Japan is among the most unreached countries on earth, and we need your prayers for this challenging opportunity “to advance the gospel” (Philippians 1:12, NIV).

Although it is one of the world’s 10 largest nations by population, Japan has few churches, and average church attendance is under 100. Christians in Japan have remained a tiny minority for 450 years.

The economy is stagnating after decades of prosperity, and recent studies show that many Japanese people are becoming disillusioned over the emptiness of lives focused on materialism. An attitude of pessimism and hopelessness is increasing, especially among young people. Sadly, in one survey by the Gallup organization, 85 percent of Japanese teens said they wonder why they exist, and more than one in 10 wished they had never been born.

The Bible says we are made in God’s image. We are all unique, and God has a plan for each of our lives. The problem every human being faces is sin that brings separation from God–a separation that results in a deep loneliness, an emptiness, a void.

The churches in Osaka asked for our help in making known the truth of the Gospel that liberates mankind from despair. Christians have come together praying that the light of God’s truth will penetrate the darkness that hovers over the great country of Japan. Pray that the seed that is sown in the hearts of thousands will take root and a great harvest of souls will be won to the kingdom of God.

The Apostle Paul declared that when people receive the Word of God from those who faithfully preach, they accept it “not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God” (1 Thessalonians 2:13). This is the reason we boldly preach the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. It alone has the power to transform hearts of men, women, and children.

After our meetings in Japan we will travel to Latvia, a former Soviet bloc nation on the Baltic Sea, and have the same opportunity there to invest in the lives of those who need Christ. Will you pray with us that Christians will invite friends, neighbors, and loved ones to attend the Crusade?

Pray that the Holy Spirit will pierce hearts by the power of the Gospel. Prayer is the vital step in preparing the way for the work of God. Paul appealed to those who partnered with him in spreading the Gospel, asking them to join him in praying “that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored” (2 Thessalonians 3:1). Pray that hearts will be open to the truth that God loves them and sent His Son to earth to redeem mankind from sin.

While I am in Japan, my son Will is preaching at a Crusade near Montevideo, Uruguay. This is our third large outreach in that country in three years because “a great door for effective work has opened” (1 Corinthians 16:9).

The opportunities God gives us for evangelistic ministry continue to grow, and we are able to keep telling people about the hope found in Jesus because friends like you both pray and give.

We want to make “the most of every opportunity” (Ephesians 5:16). God honors faithfulness, and He will multiply the impact of sacrificial gifts from His people. If you can help us with a donation this month, know that giving to the work of the Lord has an effect that lasts for eternity.

May God bless you in all the things you do that make a difference for His kingdom.

Sincerely,
Franklin Graham
President

Help Spread the Gospel

Your gift can help BGEA spread the Gospel through every available means and to every nation. Donate online today to support Festivals or other ministries.

1. Salematou says:

Mrs, Salematou Yansane says May God in the name of his precious son Jesus name, says to you one day well done my diligent son. Thanks for what you doing around the world.

2. Chiharu says:

As I am Japanese, I have waited a long time for a revival of Japan. I want to say “Thank you” for all your prayers and supports. I beleive that our prayers have moved God's hand and shaken Japanese people's hearts. I am amaized by God's great plan!

3. Gloria says:

I will pray for God to use you to open many hearts for the Lord in Japan, you and your family are such wonderful people and you are instruments of God's to share his love for all of us.

4. Mike says:

We need to let the power of the Holy Spirit work in the conviction of sin in their hearts. We need to pray and allow the Holy Spirit to lead us and instruct us on being a witness for Christ. May God make a way for there to be more crusades in these last days!

5. steven says:

I PRAY AND WISH I COULD BE AS OPTIMISTIC AS EVERYONE ELSE IS ABOUT THE SUCCESS OF THIS OSAKA CRUSADE, I DO BELIEVE SOME JAPANESE WILL GIVE THIER HEARTS TO CHRIST, NO DOUBT! BUT AS WHOLE, JAPAN HAS HEARD THE GOSPEL FOR MANY MANY YEARS VIA SPEAKER PROCLAMATION AND TRACT DISTRIBUTION, YET ONLY 1 PERCENT HAVE COME TO BELIEVE THE GOSPEL. JUST AS PAUL TEACHES ABOUT ISRAEL AND THIER MESSIAH, THERE IS 'A REMNANT”!!! IN JAPAN AS WELL!!!

6. Arllen says:

I can't wait to hear of the great and glorious testimonies that will result from these meetings! I am praying that the Lord's presence will be there very manifestly! It shall be well with the Japanese–in Jesus' name!

7. Rita says:

I too am very happy to see you are going to Japan…When my husband and I were stationed in the Air Force in Miisowa, Japan I would sometimes walk to an off base catholic church in stead of going on base…I was surprised how few christians were in attendance…I also would like to say that while my husband and I were RVing across the US we went to the Cove and were truly blessed with its beauty and sense of peacefullness…We went to the prayer room where along with a Japaneese lady we prayed together. Your father has been an inspiration to me also since I accepted the Lord at the Billiy Graham Crusade in Madison Square Garden in 1957 …God Bless

8. barb says:

To open their minds, hearts, and spirits to the things of the Lord, to the things that matter most remove the scales from of there spiritual eyes.

9. Kevin says:

I grew up Catholic but I came to know Christ as Lord and Savior in college through the invitation of a Japanese man. So I feel somewhat indebted to the Japanese people. God bless your outreach in Osaka and move many to repent and receive Christ.

10. KEVIN says:

I have learned that a combination of hydrogen and oxygen make water, without an electric spark you only have two invisible gases. If we combine love with the gospel of CHRIST along with the Holy Spirit, the recipitents thereof will see who he really is. I pray for a wave of the Holy Spirit to wash over the children of Japan. GODS spirit is with you pastor Graham!!