Franklin Graham Issues Statement on Arizona Shooting

By   •   January 10, 2011

As the American people grapple for answers to the question of how something as senseless as this shooting could happen, we need to be measured and cautious before we place blame.

Hasty accusations have already been made before much information is known and an investigation has occurred. I believe this is counterproductive and could in itself incite hatred. This is not a time for political opportunism.

Just because we disagree with someone from another political party does not mean we wish them harm. Furthermore, if something horrific happens to a person, it does not mean those who hold differing views are responsible for the actions of a disturbed individual.

What frightens me is that our country has accepted murder, violence and rape as entertainment that we see portrayed every day on TV, movies and video games. If we as a nation are not careful, we could see the destruction of the foundation upon which this nation was built.

Clearly our politicians and pundits on the left and right must also be careful. Their leadership and rhetoric must set an example for decency and civility.

My prayer is that God will put His loving arms around the families and victims in their time of loss and great suffering, and that they would sense His presence and comfort in their lives.

1. Karen says:

In my prayers for all of those affected by the tragedy in Tucson, I will remember you, Cheryl and your family. May the Lord strengthen you and give you peace. May the Lord's peace be with us all.

2. Claudia says:

Amen = So Be It!

3. Rose says:

I believe the three last sentences from Cheryl speak so clearly of the love of Jesus Christ. It is not always easy to think that way, but it is right and true. As Christians our hearts need to conclude to this.In addition I believe we all need to get serious about how we live our faith out and first by praying that our leadership becomes a true example of as Franklin said “decency and civility”.

4. Roberta says:

Thank God for this man of wisdom (Franklin) to stand up and speak from the Father's heart. Thank you!

5. Sheri says:

I am sorry for the loss of your daughter Cheryl. It is really terrible. I am a nurse. And after all these years that we have been able to identify mental disease, it is really sad we have not come upon a cure. The fact that you knew she had accepted Jesus as her saviour is great. It has got to be of comfort. You, if anyone, would know what a senseless death looks like.

6. John says:

I agree with Timothy's comments.

7. Keith says:

Thank you Franklin for coming forth and to speak out against the name calling, insults and so forth all in the name of political greed. It is a shame that those making these accusations cannot for at least the time of mourning keep to themselves. I may disagree with some of our leaders as well, however, I still pray for them as it has been commanded to do so. Thank you for using the BGEA to speak up and the work you do. I know that your Dad must feel the same sort of sadness as we continue to hear, day in and day out. Amongst the most recognized of Evangelist, I thank you for sharing the thoughts.

8. Timothy says:

Timothy, Let us awaken tto the state spiritual state of the United States as a whole. Pray,in the name of Jesus, that God will move among His people.

9. Billl says:

AMEN!!!

10. Cheryl says:

As I have read the numerous postings of the individual that perpetrated this horrible crime, it is very clear to me that he is suffering from mental illness. My own daughter died last year at the age of 19 from the affects of schizophrenia. She lived her whole life for Jesus Christ and was struck down with delusions after leaving for college. I will admit that our daughter never acted violently towards anyone nor herself however, the delusions caused her to go into a ravine in a State Park and die of hypothermia. Having witnessed schizophrenia first hand, I know the shocking truth of how it ravages a person's mind, thought process and reasoning. In addition to praying for the victims and their families, please pray for the shooter and his family. There is still hope for Jarod to accept Jesus as His Lord and Savior. I'm not suggesting he should not suffer the consequences of his actions, only that Jesus loves him too.