Billy Graham Named Among Gallup’s ‘Most Admired’ for 57th Time

By   •   December 30, 2013

Billy Graham at home

Billy Graham has once again been named by Americans as one of the most admired people in the world.

It’s an honor the 95-year-old evangelist has held 57 times in the 67 years the annual Gallup poll has been conducted.

Mr. Graham first appeared on the list in 1955. Since then, he has been named among the top 10 most admired men a record number of times.

According to Gallup, each year, American adults are surveyed by phone and asked to answer an open-ended question about which person in the world they admire most. This year’s survey took place Dec. 5-8 and polled 1,031 Americans.

President Barack Obama took the top spot, with 16 percent of those polled naming him as “most admired.” The sitting president has held the No. 1 position for 57 of the last 67 years.

Former President George W. Bush and Pope Francis were tied for the No. 2 spot. Mr. Graham and former President Bill Clinton were next on the list.

Hillary Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, Michelle Obama and Sarah Palin topped this year’s list of most admired women.

While Mr. Graham holds the record for most appearances on the “most admired men” list, Queen Elizabeth II holds the record for most appearances on the women’s list, with 46 top 10 finishes since 1948.

Mr. Graham turned 95 on Nov. 7, the same day his latest video message, The Cross, aired on nationwide television.

The 30-minute video, which is still available online and on DVD, is the flagship video in a series of new messages that are part of the nationwide movement, My Hope America with Billy Graham.

The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association enlisted the help of young believers including rapper Lecrae, singer Lacey Sturm and professional football player David Tyree, all of whom joined Mr. Graham in explaining the Gospel to people across North America.

“With all my heart, I want to leave you with the truth,” Mr. Graham told millions of viewers who watched The Cross.

The “pastor to presidents” says he has wept for the United States and prays continually for Americans to repent of their sin and put their faith and hope in Jesus Christ.

1. Cliff Aull says:

Billy Graham is so very deserving of his ranking as one of America ‘Most Admired’ people in the world. He is truly a man of God and has preached the gospel to the masses all over the world in his life time in a simple and convincing way that Jesus is the only way to salvation..

2. Norma Perry says:

Billy Graham, you truly are a servant of our Dear Lord Jesus, God bless you & your wonderful family!

3. Lela Powell says:

The only person on the lists I would pick would be Reverend Billy Graham . If only America
    would follow his message THE BIBLE we would once again have a great country.

4. Floyd S. says:

I first heard Dr Graham as a teenager in Memphis along with Johnny Cash and Andre Crouch. Nobody preaches more clearly and with so much passion as you! Today, I serve as pastor of a small church and we watched “The Cross” together! How heart warming it was. May God give you grace till you see Jesus face to face!

5. Mary says:

I am from Kenya and I watched the cross video online from Kenya. Of all the preachers of my time, Billy Graham has come through as the most authentic of them all. God bless him for sharing with the world this message of hope.

6. Andrea says:

I am not surprised that Dr. Graham is in that list as many times as he is. He is the number one top evangelist and man of God. He saved me and so many more and if he had another 10 years here on earth he would be able to save this nation and all its people. He is the best thing we will ever see in ministry. His ‘THE CROSS’ was the most wonderful message I have ever seen and I am so proud of him for doing it. We love you Dr. Graham.

7. Patrick says:

Dear Reverend Graham, congratulations! Thank you for your sharing who Jesus Christ is with me.

8. DELLA says:

I have always loved and respected, Billy Graham. Our world needs more of him. Thanks for being such an inspiration. Thank U, Della Prentice

9. Helen M. Anderson says:

Mr Graham, why shouldn’t you be most admired ? To me you remind me of David, a man after God’s own heart. You are a pillar of strength, determination and profess the love of Jesus to all. You have drawn millions closer to our beloved Lord Jesus Christ and in these years you have never faultered. You have been a inspiration to me for many,many years. God so loves you Mr. Graham, for all you do in our precious Lord Jesus’s name..

10. mARCIA says:

I thank God for you and your faithfulness to His Word all these years. I was glad to see you in My Hope America; it reminded me of Samson’s last act. May God use it to reach more hearts for Him in these your last days, than in your combined youthful days. God’s peace and Joy be yours until you see Him face to face