“The Christian faith is a singing faith, and a good way to express it and share it with others is in community singing.”
These are the words of Cliff Barrows, Music and Program Director for the Billy Graham Team, who has led congregational singing and crusade choirs around the world. Music has played a significant role in the programming of the Billy Graham crusades and rallies, for which he has been responsible since their beginning in 1945. Together, he and Mr. Graham have shared the Gospel around the globe.
Mr. Barrows has also hosted the weekly “Hour of Decision” radio program since its inception in 1950.
For significant contributions to Gospel music, Mr. Barrows was inducted into the Nashville Gospel Music Hall of Fame in April 1988, and into the Religious Broadcasting Hall of Fame (NRB) in February 1996. Along with Billy Graham and George Beverly Shea, Mr. Barrows was inducted into The Conference of Southern Baptist Evangelists’ “Hall of Faith” in 2008.
Mr. Barrows was born and reared in Ceres, California. He and his wife, Ann, make their home in Marvin, North Carolina.
April 6, 1923
Harriet M. and Charles Tilson Barrows (both deceased)
Betty Ruth, 1953
Clifford (Bud), 1955
William Burton, 1962
Marvin, North Carolina
- 1944: Ordained to ministry, Baptist Church, Ceres, California
- 1944-1945: Assistant Pastor, Temple Baptist Church, St. Paul, Minnesota
- 1945-present: Director of Music for Billy Graham Evangelistic Team; association began at a rally in Asheville, North Carolina
- 1950-present: Program Director for “Hour of Decision” radio program carried weekly over 500 stations worldwide, and television ministry of the Association
- 1965-1970: President, World Wide Pictures
Education & Honors
- 1940: Diploma, Ceres Union High, Ceres, California
- 1944: BA in Sacred Music, Bob Jones University
- 1968: Honorary, Doctor of Sacred Music, John Brown University
- 1988: April – Inducted into the Nashville Gospel Music Hall of Fame
- 1996: Elected to Religious Broadcasting Hall of Fame (NRB)
- 2008: Inducted into the “Hall of Faith,” The Conference of Southern Baptist Evangelists