3 Pointers Christians Can Draw from NCAA College Hoops

By   •   March 10, 2017   •   Topics: ,

’Tis the season for NCAA March Madness—the joy of victory, the heartbreak of defeat. And believe it or not, there are a few takeaways for Christians in their everyday walk with Jesus.

Here are three pointers:

1. Know Your Opponent

Good coaches always know what they’re up against. They don’t take the opponent lightly, and neither should Christians. The Bible says Satan prowls like a lion, looking for someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8). During March Madness, it’s easy to get caught up in the buzzer beaters and last-second defensive stops, but remember the stakes are much higher in life than on the basketball court. God’s Word equips us for the daily battle.

2. Stay Focused

There are plenty of things to distract us from our relationship with God, so it’s important to remember our training. Athletes have to dig deep in those final minutes to finish strong, but if you’ll notice, they typically look to the coach for direction, especially when the game is on the line. Take this as a reminder to stay in constant contact with our Heavenly Father. Pray without ceasing, particularly in the trying moments when you feel completely out of breath.

3. Make Adjustments

No game plan is perfect, even if it’s successful at first. Dangerous shooters go cold, scrappy defenders turn ankles and teams have to adjust. Our faith is similar—sometimes we get in a rut. That’s when we need to remind ourselves that God is alive. His Word is life-changing, but only if we’re willing to dive in and let Him challenge us.

Have you gotten complacent in your faith? Or ignored God altogether? Make it your goal to put Him first.

1. Veronica Christensen says:

Complacency. I’m struggling to hold on. I was always so encouraging to others to hold on to Jesus. I’m sick with a rare disease. At night it is so hard to fall asleep. My anxiety level is so elevated. I pray to Jesus and listen to scripture and songs. My marriage has not been a good one. I made an idol out of my husband. Always trying to please him but nothing was ever enough. I know God set me free but I didn’t leave my husband. I think the emotional stress has helped to bring on this disease. We can’t make a god out of anything. I know Jesus is with me. I’m not sure I will make it to the end. Only with Jesus can I make it. Gee, I always tried to help others even in their terminal illnesses. Now, I can’t cope.

1. Carolyn Hampton says:

I understand perfectly what you’ve gone through and what you are still going through. The old hymn just came to mind, He Promised never to leave me, never to leave me alone. I find the closer I try to become and the greater my desire to be close to God, the more I am attacked by Satan. Are you able to get out of the house? If so, do so. Don’t isolate. Join a life group or start one. Friends are so important. They pray for you, encourage and love you. I was so touched by your comments that I want you to know I will faithfully pray for you. We can be distant friends. Just remember if you woke up God has a purpose for your life. Remember God loves you and so do I.

2. Elizabeth Lierley says:

Well written

3. David Zuhlke says:

Points well taken and relevant to your daily life as well. Today for many, it is all about how we feel about things. This is an emotional state subject to ups and downs. Emotion is a big part of perseverance but it is not the only thing. Today’s christian’s need to remind those around them that feeling good on earth does not translate to feeling good in heaven. There is a way to feel good in heaven and experience the joy of a final four position and an eventual championship in life on earth and that is through Christ our Lord, our coach and referee laying out the way to salvation and glory in heaven. Enjoy the games!

4. Alison says:

Thank you for these three applications for life. The struggle is real, and the enemy always attacks at work when I’m overworked, stressed and tired, using coworkers to go straight to the deep wounds of the heart. Wounds that have been covered by The Blood, but surface when tired and not prayed up and in the Word as much.
    God’s blessings to you!!

5. Eric Sloop says:

🙏

6. Greg Hutchison says:

GOD BLESS YOU for these comments. I was a student at Indiana University (195 -1991) Basketball was very important at this time and has always been at IU IU happened too win the Men’s National Basketball Tournament, while I was there. I was a member of Christian Student Fellowship with many of the athleets at IU. I was on a Four Year Army ROTC Scholarship and I did the Color Guard Responsibilities for the IU Basketball and Football games. It was a blessing to see so many Christians, including Athletes, such as Running Back Anthony Thompson (He is now a Pastor in Terre Haute Indiana) and other members of the IU Basketball Team. Please keep bringing stories of Athlete’s Faith In Jesus and the importance in their daily lives.

1. Greg Hutchison says:

Hope other Christians realize the value that athletics can bring to a Christian, disciplined daily walk with JESUS>

7. Ed Bartolini says:

The visible and physical is often a metaphor for the unseen and spiritual. The unceasing prayer is the best link between the two as our reminder that God calls us to sanctification and heaven awaits.