Lecrae’s Arresting Call to Serve Christ

By   •   August 24, 2010

Growing up on the south side of Houston, Lecrae Moore was raised by a single mother and heavily influenced by relatives who were gang members. “I was brought up in hip-hop culture, and I idolized my uncles, who were involved in gangs. I even wanted every tattoo those uncles had. I just sat on their laps and soaked it all in.”

As a teen, he was imitating the life his early influences lived before him. Still, he knew something was missing. He kept a Bible in his car as what he calls at that time of his life “a good luck charm.” As it turns out, “luck” couldn’t protect him from getting caught in possession of drugs.

A Merciful Moment

The police officer who arrested him saw the Bible in his car, and asked Lecrae if he knew what that Book is all about. Lecrae replied that he didn’t know, but that he knew he needed to understand. The officer let him go, if he promised to spend some time in the Bible.

Lecrae held up his end of the deal.

“I never wanted to get into that kind of trouble again,” said Lecrae, who has performed at many “Rock” youth evangelism events for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

At the encouragement of a Christian leader, he attended a conference and heard what Jesus Christ had done for him on the cross. Thus began the transformation in his life as he asked Jesus to be his Lord and Savior.

Hearing God’s Call

With a talent already intact, Lecrae began freestyle rapping after Bible studies. Encouraged by his community of believers, he took his gift to the juvenile detention centers to minister to the residents. He later performed at BGEA’s Rock the River Tour West, where he became more passionate than ever about sharing the message that saved his life.

“It is very humbling that I get to do this, and I don’t want to get used to it,” he said at the time. “People are hungering and thirsting for something. I want to serve them with quality music, and more importantly, deliver a message that will challenge and inspire change in their lives.”

The most crucial thing he says he does to prepare for an event like Rock the River in St. Louis (2009) or Rock the Range in Denver (2011) is to pray and focus on the Scriptures. “I spend time in prayer and meditate on God’s truth, and allow that truth to penetrate my heart. If I don’t believe it can change anyone, they are just empty words.”

Although he is well regarded as one of the premier Christian rap artists, he does not forget the depths from which God brought him.

“I have to remember what God did for me. He loved me when I was unlovable. I feel fortunate to have a huge family that extends beyond race and culture. Now, I also have a Father who shepherds us all. When I think about that, it blows my mind. There’s nothing like it.”

Lecrae and Michael W. Smith in Haiti

Do You Need God’s Love in Your Life?

Visit PeaceWithGod.net to learn about Jesus or recommit your life to Him.

1. Pakuo says:

Praise God…..”The harvest is plenty, but the labourers are few”….All of us, in our respective fields could serve god, like Lecrae.

2. Marco says:

I have heard rap my entire life but nothing like this, so glad! Praise God for men like Lecrae. May God continue using him for His honor and glory.

3. Anthony says:

I love what you're doing, keep up the good work. I heard Jesus muzik and I was hooked, keep up the good work and God Bless.

4. G-man says:

Now is the time and season to take back our youth for Christ! God will use the least and simple things to confound the wise. For a long time it had been thought that Rap had no place in the participation of the Gospel. God will use any and everything that is willing to bring His message forward. It is the anointing upon brother Lecrae and the yielding of himself to be a willing vessel that allows the beautiful and profound message of the Gospel to flow from his lips the way our diverse expressing God empowered him to bring it!! Bless you bra, and keep being that instrument for our Savior (Romans 6:13)

5. DannyO says:

My triplets are looking forward to continuing with his rhythm because all the tracks are for the Glory of GOD…Praise the LORD Almighty!!! One does the beat one does the rhyme and one sing the lyrics they are a blessing from GOD and I thank him.

6. Kwame says:

Continue to let God use this amazing association to spread the Good News.

7. Anthony says:

I'm grateful to God for Lacrae being saved and his calling. My wife and I rededicated our lives to Christ four years ago and I was looking for some godly music to listen to. I saw his video on the GMC channel, praying for you and that was it. I pray that Lacrae is held up by Jesus and continues to bring glory to God and reaching out. We so need that music in our day. Selah

8. Kindle says:

I have a story very much like Lecrae, but I went to prison and now am in my hometown doing gosel rap. I would love to get the message out and to share my testimony with my broters and sisters! Facebook is Kevon Kindle McCready and check out Kindle at reverbnation.com. If you are having an event, I would love to be apart of it! Please contact me on facebook or reverbnation.com! GOD bless you all!!!

9. Susan says:

This is proof positive that “through Christ all things are possible”. If this young man can turn from evil EVERYONE can!! And God bless the officer who saw with 'spirit eyes' that this young man deserved a chance. God Bless You!

10. David says:

God bless Lecrae and his ministry.Christian Rap Artist.