Is Jesus the Only Way to Heaven?

By   •   October 19, 2015   •   Topics: ,

How is Christianity different from every other religion in the world? The answer focuses on Jesus Christ, “the Son of the living God” (Matthew 16:16).

Christ means “anointed one.” It is the term for the ancient Hebrew word Messiah—the anointed one whom God would send to save His people. The first believers of the early Christian church recognized Jesus as the Messiah promised in the Old Testament. Their period of world history was full of discouragement and despair. The promised Messiah shone as a beacon in the darkness, and His light has never dimmed: “In Him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. … The true Light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world” (John 1:4, 9).

Today, as world leaders struggle with seemingly insurmountable problems, this darkening and menacing situation accentuates the brightness of the One who proclaimed, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in darkness, but have the light of life” (John 8:12).

Jesus alone can offer eternal life because He is the only one who lived a sinless life and provided the perfect sacrifice for our sins by His death on the cross. He lived on earth as man, but was also divine. Because He was divine, He rose again three days after His death—the only one ever to die and come back to life on His own—then ascended into heaven. While the founders of various non-Christian religions of the world have died and been buried, Christ is very much alive!

Jesus was the only one to claim to be God and the only one to prove it. In His words, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).

Because the Bible is God’s inspired Word and God cannot lie, it does not contradict itself or teach falsehoods. It is in this very Scripture that Jesus is revealed.

Are you sure of your future in heaven? You can be.

1. todcornett says:

I have been told by several people I have never met in my life that I was glowing!

2. Fynn Emmanuel says:

there is no salvation in no one else God has given no other name under heaven by which we must be saved. only Jesus

3. Sharon says:

Jesus is my Savior, my guide, and my support. He is with me every day, no other God can claim that. He is alive and shows himself in many ways to me. Praise be to God

4. Michael maleng says:

Jesus is truly God. Those who believe in him will be saved. He is the way, the truth and the life.

5. Tom Sprague says:

What would happen if our President stood up and proclaimed to the world–“Jesus is the only way to heaven?”

6. Maelin says:

Hi, I lost my mom in April 2016 and I’m only 11 years old. she died when I was 10 and I miss her so very much. I live with my dad now and they were divorced, and me my brother and my sister are so sad. her first grandchild was not even 1. my brother said he doesn’t know how he’s going to have to tell his son his grandma died when he was very young. I spend time with them, not as much as I used to, but we still see each other sometimes like on holidays or in the grocery store or things like that. I hope you reply to this and pray for my family and just give us some advice. thank you. #PRAYFORUS

1. Jean Marie says:

I prayed for you and your whole family. I’m sorry for the pain you’re going through. Let Jesus help you be strong. You are very loved. I will keep you in my thoughts.

7. Brandon says:

I have been conflicted with religious beliefs for as long as I can remember. What religion is the true religion. Recently, the past couple weeks I have been having thoughts of suicide. My wife of 5 years with who I’ve been with for 13 years left me for another man. We’ve been together from the time I was 17. I don’t really want to die, but I find it unbearable to go on. As I look for answers, I find myself looking for God’s word. Does this make me a believer or a pretender? I know I hope there is a God. Jesus Christ. Please be there for me.

1. BGEA says:

Hi Brandon,

We just prayed for you. Thanks for writing in. Many people go through life, not caring which path is right, yet what we hold true affects everything we do. We board airplanes, assuming they will fly. We flip a switch, knowing that it will turn on a light. Isn’t it also important to know the truth about God and our souls?

You might hear some say that all religions are true, that they all end up in the same place and there are multiple paths to get there. But that can’t be right because religions ascribe to different, contradictory beliefs. If one religion says there are many gods, for example, and another religion says there is one God, both of them can’t be right.

You might also hear someone say that there is no truth. But how would a person know THAT’S true? It’s true that we are writing to you right now. It’s true that you are reading this. It’s common sense that truth exists, so saying there is no truth isn’t much of an argument.

So what DO we know?

Jesus Christ is the only one in history who said, “I am the way and the truth and the life” (John 14:6). He is what makes Christianity different from every other religion in the world. The Bible tells us that if we have Christ in our lives, “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8:32).

When Jesus Christ came into the world, it was full of discouragement and despair. But He shone as a beacon in the darkness, and His light has never dimmed: “In Him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. … The true Light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world” (John 1:4, 9).

How does Jesus give us life? We all sin, meaning we all do and say things that we shouldn’t, things that go against God’s will for us. The penalty for sin is death, not just physical death but eternal separation from God. And yet … Jesus Christ loved us so much that He paid that price for us. He died on a cross so our sins can be forgiven. He rose again three days after His death—the only one ever to die and come back to life on His own—then ascended into heaven. While the founders of various non-Christian religions of the world have died and been buried, Christ is very much alive!

When we put our faith in Him, He guides us through life and helps us live our lives in a way pleasing to God.

In Jesus Christ we have the most profound truth. He is the only One who can bring peace and joy and the total satisfaction you have been searching for.

Sometimes people have a hard time with the fact that accepting Christ is really a simple thing. They want to DO something to earn their salvation. But that’s what separates Christianity from other religions. Christianity is about what Christ has already done for us. There is nothing we can do to EARN salvation; we must accept it as a gift from God by putting our faith in Christ. Ephesians 2:8 says, “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God…”

Also remember that while Christianity is called a religion, it’s not about rules and traditions. It’s about a living relationship with Jesus Christ. He is the only one who points us to truth and transforms our lives.

We know you feel that life for you has hit a dead-end. But you need to know that nothing is impossible for Jesus. Luke 1:37 says, “For nothing will be impossible with God.” He created you, He owns you and your life, and taking your own life is as far from Jesus’ love as you can get. But if you give your life to Jesus—meaning putting Him first, and let Him shape your life, nothing can ever separate you from His love.

We are very concerned that you have considered suicide, and we urge you not to take this drastic, final step. God loves you and wants what is best for you. He says, “You are precious to me . . . and I love you” (Isaiah 43:4). The very reason Jesus Christ came to earth to offer Himself in sacrifice is so that we might have life in all its fullness. It is His desire that we are set free from depression, fear, frustration and hurt so that we might experience this abundant life.

Thoughts of taking your life do not come from God but from Satan. Jesus said, “The thief’s (Satan’s) purpose is to steal, kill and destroy. My purpose is to give life in all its fullness” (John 10:10). We are warned in 1 Peter 5:8-10, “Be careful – watch out for attacks from Satan, your great enemy. He prowls around like a hungry, roaring lion, looking for some victim to tear apart. Stand firm when he attacks. Trust the Lord. . . . He personally will come and pick you up, and set you firmly in place, and make you stronger than ever.”

Ask Christ to take all your problems; “cast all your anxiety on Him” (1 Peter 5:7). Then center your attention upon His love for you and His wonderful plan for your life. Rest in the assurance that Jesus will “never leave you nor forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5).

God wants to help you if you will let Him, and so do others. God knows about your problems, and He also knows the answer to them. By yourself you may feel helpless, but with Christ’s help there is hope for tomorrow. He can bring good out of even the toughest situations.

We urge you to begin by giving your life over to Jesus Christ (click the link below). Then share your problems with a pastor or with someone else who can help you and encourage you. We just said a prayer for you and will continue praying. You can also chat with someone at the link below or call 1-877-247-2426 to talk to someone who cares!

The Suicide Prevention Hotline is 800-273-8255

For some practical advice about how to live each day with God, click here: http://bit.ly/LivingDailyWithGod

You might also be interested in this short video about God’s love for you: http://bit.ly/GodLovesYouVideo

Or in this short note about unanswered prayer: http://bit.ly/UnansweredPrayer

God bless you, Brandon.