Billy Graham Trivia: What Did Billy Graham Like to Read as a Child?

By   •   August 10, 2015

BG and sister
Billy Graham was the oldest of four children. Here, he's with his sister, Catherine.

Q: What did Billy Graham like to read as a child?

BG, Catherine and Dad
Billy Graham’s father said his son’s yelling probably gave him his booming preaching voice.

A: The Tarzan books.

Billy Graham loved to read novels for boys, especially the Tarzan books about an orphaned boy raised in the African jungle.

He would hang from trees in the yard, giving his version of the Tarzan yell, frightening the wits out of passing horses and drivers.

But making all that racket could have helped Billy Graham in the long run.

“I think that yelling helped develop his voice,” his father said later.

—From Billy Graham: God’s Ambassador

1. Rosemary Swenson says:

I was 9 years old when I attended Billy Graham’s crusade in L.A. in 1949. I remember all the adults talking about the powerful preaching by the young evangelist and the notable people getting saved. In the ’50’s we began watched every televised crusade. Later I attended crusades at the L.A. Coliseum, the Hollywood Bowl, the Anaheim Angel Stadium, the San Francisco Cow Palace and The Rose Bowl. As a UCLA student I listened to The Hour of Decision every Sunday night on the radio.
    I’ve attended 2 seminars at The Cove and Miss Anne’s seminar in Dallas. I’m 75 now, and I’m thankful that Billy, Ruth, Franklin and Anne have always lifted up Jesus as Savior, Comforter, and Friend. God bless each one of them.

2. Francette Paul says:

I pray that God keep you safe and sound.

3. Dawn Marie says:

Billy had a handsome Father – love the photo of his daddy, him and another sibling above. Their hats are dapper and they look really happy – and I can sure see where Billy gets his height and handsome good looks. Very blessed Family.

4. Judy Adkins says:

Happy to read that in 2016 Franklin Graham will be preaching in 50 States. Would be a blessing if the Billy Graham Crusades were still being done !!

5. Jilly says:

This is too funny!

6. Jeannine Larcom says:

My first guess was the Bible. I never would have thought of the Tarzan books. Great info.!

7. Gonja Augustine Moni says:

I like the preacher and his teachings.

8. William Belcher says:

I have always loved Billy Grahams preaching. We need more men of G od like him today. America has to get back to God I pray every day for our country. Christians have been quite to long we have stood back and let the Supreme Court destroy our country,why did we let this happen?

1. Deborah Senti says:

You are right William. We as Christians have become too complacent and as long as things are status quo we let it happen. We need to have righteous anger and stand up for God’s mandates even if it makes us unpopular. I pray for our country and our leaders even the ones I don’t care for. God tells us to love them the way he loves us. Somehow we need to stand together and say enough is enough!!!
      Thank God for Billy Graham , Franklin Graham and the rest of the family for doing what they can to make a difference to lead this troubled world to the feet of Jesus!!!!!