Statement by Franklin Graham on the Death of Dr. Chuck Smith

By   •   October 3, 2013

Chuck Smith

Pastor Chuck Smith was my friend. He preached his last sermon from a wheelchair this past Sunday. Physical death ushered him into God’s presence for eternity on October 3, but his earthly ministry will be remembered as impacting generations since the 1960s. He taught the Bible from cover to cover—Genesis to Revelation—and verse by verse multiple times.  He believed the Word of God and lived by it.

For the last several decades when I traveled to southern California, Pastor Chuck always took time to share a meal with me and fellowship over what the Lord was doing.  I was with him this summer and had the privilege of preaching for him at his pastor’s conference and in a special crusade sponsored by Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa.

He will be missed but for those who know Christ as Savior we have the same hope Chuck wrote about in his book, Comfort for Those Who Mourn, when he stated, “One day I will move out of my body and into God’s dwelling that Jesus has prepared for me—this is Living Hope.”  There is no greater comfort than to know that my friend’s incredible journey through life led him to Heaven.

Franklin-Graham-sig

Franklin Graham
President and CEO
Billy Graham Evangelistic Association
Samaritan’s Purse

1. Kathy LVance says:

Chuck smithWas great man now he is in gloryChuck smith you be mis from family people who knewYou work with youGod blesd your new home in heavenKathy LVance

2. Neil says:

I knew Pastor Chuck at the young age of 13,I am now 65. He was my pastor before Calvary Chapel. I didn't receive Jesus into my life until 8 years later. Sure loved those tent days. My friend will be missed by many. He is now rejoicing in Heaven!!

3. Ron says:

Chuck was a Great Man He was the initiator of the Jesus Movement. Many came to Jesus because of Him

4. Almost out of tears says:

I feel like a sheep without a shepherd. I miss him so very much. I don't know where to go from here – but I'm so happy for him that he has received his reward and I cant wait to see him again.

5. Lynne says:

What a lovely tribute. Thank you

6. Danny says:

He was to we Pastor DAD.

7. Chaplain Judy says:

As a BGRRT member and a Calvary church member, I am deeply saddened by our loss of Pastor Chuck. My condolences to his family and friends. The world's loss but Heaven's gain. God bless.

8. Chaviva says:

He baptized me in the ocean in 1970 and I have loved him ever since. He will be missed but I am excited he has entered glory.

9. CornelRO says:

I began listening to pastor Chuck many years ago not knowing anything about Calvary Chapel I loved his Spirit lead words. Now I am a CC pastor and still listen to him almost every day. I was blessed by God through his life and ministry.RIP P Chuck

10. Melba says:

I remember the many years back in the early '70's' when I would listen to his program and that soft-speaking voice would be used by God to 'lead, guide and direct me without any sense of condemnation' for he knew Romans 8:1 applied!