Billy Graham’s Advent Devotion, Week 1: Preparing to Celebrate Christ’s Birth

By   •   December 3, 2017   •   Topics:

The word Advent means arrival, and it refers to the arrival of Jesus Christ into the world. The “Advent season” usually starts four weeks before Christmas and concludes with the celebration of Christ’s birth. Some churches emphasize the Advent season more than others, but all Christians look forward to celebrating Christ’s birth during this season of the year.

Why was Jesus’ birth so important? The reason is because slightly over 2,000 years ago, God stooped down from Heaven and became a human being: Jesus Christ. As the Bible says, “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us” (John 1:14).

Think of it: God became a man! He did it because He loves us—and that’s what we should celebrate as Christmas approaches. Take time between now and Christmas to reflect on this great truth.

Week One: Starting December 3

Read Isaiah 9:6—In this Scripture we find the message and meaning of Christmas. Isaiah the prophet gave five awe-inspiring names of our Lord that encourage us, thrill us and fill us with hope at this Christmas season.

1. Wonderful. When He did His many miracles, the Scripture says, “The people wondered.” (Luke 11:14)

2. Counselor. The officers said, “No one ever spoke like this man!” (John 7:46)

3. The Mighty God. He is the God-Man. He said that He and the Father are one. (John 10:30)

4. The Everlasting Father. It was by Him, the living Word, that all things were created. He is the designer of the whole universe. (John 1:3; Hebrews 11:3)

5. The Prince of Peace. There will never be lasting peace on earth until He comes again to reign in righteousness. But He is also the Prince of Peace in other ways. None can have peace with God apart from Him and the peace that He made through the blood of His cross. (Colossians 1:20)

The full meaning of these words from Isaiah should give us enough strength, hope, and joy to face any crisis, endure any sorrow and meet any temptation. How has Jesus shown you recently that He is “Wonderful, Counselor … the Prince of Peace”?

Do you need God’s love in your life?

1. Connie French says:

I love the Lord with all my heart. I have been seriously ill for 15 years. I was in the hospital here and in Indy for 10 years. I always talked to people about the Lord. I have a wonderful husband who takes care of me. We are poor, but trust in the Lord. I accepted Jesus when I was a little girl, your Father Rev. Billy Graham was in Evansville, Indiana and I was there. Thank him for me. And as I pray for others, please remember me in yours. Thank you and may the Lord bless you during this Holy season. Merry Christmas.

2. Donna Dardar says:

Thank you so much for the devotionals.

3. Michael Sullivan says:

I need him in my life

4. Pesirina says:

I thank God for using you to help us grow in God’s word. In my darkest hour, I have turned to God knowing that Him alone is our source. My first child was out of wedlock and I i was miserable. God found me in my darkest hour by bringing other Christians to show me his way, that was when I rededicate my life

5. Andrew Walsh says:

Thank you for these blessed devotional thoughts on the first Advennt of our Savior. Joy to the world and peace unto all with Him He is well pleased. Advent is something special at our home as we do the Advennt candles, etc. and read the scripture sand pray for God’s peace upon our land and world and pray for the Lord’s second Advent.

6. Adeniyi David says:

I am blessed by reading this message, it’s a message for the season. May God continue to bless your ministry. Thanks sir.

7. Martha Porter says:

Thank You So Much for posting these brief messages. I will look up all of these scriptures and read them.

8. Bonnie Chisenhall says:

Wonderful scripture. God is soooo good.

9. Lila Whittaker says:

My Mom is 93 years old and is not saved. She is trusting in the wrong things for her salvation. God bless you and your family. Merry Christmas!

10. Patrick (Pat) says:

I have been listening to you since I was a little boy. I finally got to see you in New York City. When you got up to speak God touched me in a wonderful and mighty way. I could feel His presence like never before. Tears streamed down my face and a lady that seemed like an Angel put her hand on my shoulder and told me everything was going to be alright. Thank you Billy Graham for all you have done for me and countless others and although there has been ups and downs everything has been alright since I let God come completely into my life. You are a wonderful big part of that happening. Thank you Billy Graham, this 61 year old man loves you sir.