Crisis-trained Chaplains Ministering in Georgia After Storm Slams Southeast U.S.

By   •   January 3, 2017

People examine a barn that was destroyed during a storm that swept through the southern U.S. on Monday, Jan. 2. (Source: Associated Press)

Crisis-trained chaplains with the Billy Graham Rapid Response Team are ministering in Albany, Georgia, where a major storm killed a woman and caused widespread damage across the southern part of the state.

Powerful thunderstorms impacted the Southeast United States last week, killing five in Alabama and damaging property, while also creating power outages. Albany, roughly three hours south of Atlanta, was caught in the middle of the storm, too. Initially, officials with the National Weather Service were investigating the possibility of a tornado in Albany, but since have stated the damage was caused entirely by straight line winds that achieved speeds of 85 miles an hour.

This marks the first deployment of the year for the Rapid Response Team, which will serve in southwest Georgia alongside sister ministry Samaritan’s Purse.

The Billy Graham Rapid Response Team is an international ministry of crisis-trained chaplains ready to deploy at a moment’s notice to natural and man-made disasters. Since its inception in the wake of 9/11, hundreds of chaplains have had the honor of praying with hundreds of thousands of people worldwide, all in the name of Jesus.

Please keep all affected by the storm in your prayers.

1. Rev. Betty Smith says:

Good Morning! I am an Indigenous Buddhist Minister, President of the Cherokee KeetoowahFoundation. I would to provide support; hands-on!

2. Sonya says:

Driving in to get a few necessities, I did my best to avoid the heavily damaged areas. It looks like a war zone. I was uplifted to see so many people helping, smiling, laughing and despite the tragedy the kindness expressed by everyone. God bless all the areas, other towns and people hit. I was spared. PTL.

3. Lisa Cowart says:

How do I become part of the crisis team?

4. Rosalyn says:

God bless you all,thank you for being there for people in their time of need.

5. Emily says:

Thank you for coming to help! It truly means a lot to my town!

6. Carol G. says:

Let’s continue to pray for the friends and families of the victims of disasters around the world. Let’s pray for the first responders, doctors, nurses, volunteers, and the dedicated men and women who serve Christ with BGEA and Samaritans
    Purse, as well as other God-centered organizations. None of us ever know when we’ll need help from others!

7. Sandra tharpe says:

My prayers be with you and God bless these people

8. Janie Hull says:

Prayers for those who are heading out to help!

9. Dewey Lackner says:

Sending prayers to all those affected by the storms and for the Rapid Response Team as they deploy to help those in need. Praying for strength and healing. Praying that all those affected will know Jesus.

10. Gregor Hinds says:

I am saddened to learn of this tragedy. I know Albany from the movie “Courageous” and ” Fire Proof”, so sad. I haven’t the means to give, but I pray for their strength and am grateful that comfort is reaching them through the service of the chaplains.