Billy Graham Named on ‘Most Admired’ List for Six Decades

By   •   December 28, 2016

For a record 60th time, Billy Graham has been named as one of the 10 most admired men in the world.

Gallup released its annual list at the end of 2016 after asking more than 1,000 people throughout the United States which man they admire most in the world. Mr. Graham received fifth place on the list.

The 98-year-old evangelist has been among the top 10 every year since 1962 (except 1976, when the survey didn’t happen). He also appeared on the list every year from 1955-1961.

President Barack Obama took the top spot, with 22 percent of those polled naming him as “most admired.” President-elect Donald Trump took the No. 2 position at 15 percent.

Pope Francis was in the No. 3 spot, followed by Vermont Senator and 2016 presidential candidate Bernie Sanders in No. 4.

2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton was named the most admired woman for the 15th consecutive year and 21st time overall. First Lady Michelle Obama took the No. 2 spot.

As founder of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association in 1950, Mr. Graham has preached the Gospel to more people in live audiences than anyone else in history. Hundreds of millions more have been reached through television, video, film and the web.

The evangelist has preached in remote African villages and in the heart of New York City. He has ministered to heads of state as well as the simple living bushmen of Australia and the wandering tribes of Africa and the Middle East.

Mr. Graham has also written 33 books. His recent works include Where I Am: Heaven, Eternity, and Our Life Beyond (2015), The Reason for My Hope: Salvation (2013), The Heaven Answer Book (2012), Nearing Home: Life, Faith and Finishing Well (2011) and Storm Warning (2010).

The “pastor to presidents” continues his ministry through prayer at his Montreat, North Carolina, home. His work is also being carried out by multiple ministries of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

The Gallup poll was conducted Dec. 7-11, 2016, surveying 1,028 adults nationwide by phone. The overall margin of error is plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Learn more about the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

Browse classic Billy Graham sermons through video and audio.

1. King Johnson says:

Shalom Everlasting! -)+

2. King Johnson says:

🙂

3. Annalin sharmila George says:

Excellent, evangelist.

4. Pat Lindenmeyer says:

I have admired this awesome man all of my entire life.

5. Stephen John says:

Billy Graham is for sure one of the best ‘admired men of all time. I’m also sure that Billy’s most admired man is ‘Jesus Christ’ when he ministered on our planet some 2,000 years ago, and also ministers in our hearts now and for ever more. God bless Billy Graham, a very admirable man of God. Amen.

6. ALEXANDER FIIFI-YANKSON says:

I have been immensely blessed by the ministry of evangelist Billy Graham. The books that he mailed to me more than three decades ago are still having an impact on my life. I still use a devotional sent to me by his ministry in 1971. I thank God for his life and ministry.

7. eric alexander says:

Dear Dr. Graham, Thank you so much for all your service in the cause of Christ. I am paralyzed and when I watch your crusades on tv and listen to your shows on radio I am always blessed. Thank you again.

8. Coyt Atkinson says:

If we are lucky enough to get to heaven I think Billy Graham will have a front row seat.

9. King Johnson says:

Shalom peace and Glory in the name of our Lord and savior. May God continue to bless the living Legacy of Rev. Dr. Billy Graham! God bless every single other person who has made it on the list and who isn’t on the list yet!) When you serve God with your wife and not yourself you will get honors far greater than anything in the world to give you!)+ God bless our leaders, future Leaders and new generations!)+

10. G. Walker says:

Billy Graham and his writings have been a rich blessing to me and my husband for decades. We thank God for him and his ministries.