5 Answers from Billy Graham About Easter

By   •   April 12, 2017   •   Topics: , , , ,

As we approach Easter, many ponder the meaning of the holiday. Over the years, people have written Billy Graham concerning their questions about its significance. Here, we have chosen several of the most commonly asked questions about this observance—along with Billy Graham’s answers.

Q: I’ve never understood why people refer to the day that Jesus died as “Good Friday.” It seems to me that Jesus’ death was a great tragedy, because it brought the life of an innocent man to an end. What’s so good about that?

A: You’re right, up to a point; Jesus was innocent of any crime, and from a human standpoint He didn’t deserve to die. You also are right in saying that Jesus’ death was a great tragedy—for it was.

>>Read the rest of Billy Graham’s Good Friday explanation

Q: Did Jesus realize that He was going to be arrested and put to death when He went to Jerusalem for the last time? It seems to me that He easily could have called on the crowds who supported Him to demand His release. Then He could have avoided what happened afterward. Why didn’t He?

A: Jesus probably could have incited them into action and thus avoided His arrest and death. But He didn’t—and the reason is because He knew He had come into the world to die for our sins. Shortly before going to Jerusalem, He warned His disciples that “He will be handed over to the Gentiles. They will mock him, insult him, spit on him, flog him and kill him” (Luke 18:32). Later He told the Roman governor, Pilate, “For this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world” (John 18:37).

>>Read what what else Billy Graham says about the crucifixion

Q: I have a friend who doesn’t bother with God or church most of the year, but as Easter approaches she suddenly gets religiousgoes to church, observes Lent and so forth. Do you think she’s a real Christian, or is it all fake?

A: Only God knows your friend’s heart, and whether or not she sincerely wants to follow Jesus and has committed her life to Him. Perhaps a seed of faith was planted in her heart as a child, and as Easter approaches she senses a need to have it grow.

>>Read the advice Billy Graham gives on evangelism

Q: In your opinion, which was more important, Jesus’ death on the cross or His resurrection from the dead? Some of us were talking about this the other day in our small group Bible study, and we couldn’t come to any conclusion.

A: Both Jesus’ death on the cross and His resurrection from the dead are equally important; they cannot be separated from each other. Without Jesus’ death, we have no hope of God’s forgiveness; and without Jesus’ resurrection, we have no hope of eternal life. Like the two wings of an airplane, both are essential!

>>Read more of Billy Graham’s answer

Q: This Easter, I felt kind of a tug in my heart to give God a bigger place in my life. How do you suggest I go about doing this?

A: I’m thankful for that “tug” toward God you felt in your heart—and I want to assure you that it didn’t happen by chance. Instead, God gave it to you, and right now He is drawing you to Himself. Jesus said, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him” (John 6:44).

>> Billy Graham explains how you can turn your life over to God this Easter

Our prayer is that you can fully celebrate Easter—that is, celebrate what Jesus has done for you through His death on the cross and through His resurrection. Today, you can find peace with God through knowing Christ.

1. Tara Fry says:

I thank Jesus every day because of what He did for us on the cross. I love Him so. I try to read from God’s Word every day. It enriches my day.
    I thank God for you, Dr. Graham. You make His Word easy for each person to understand. I love my devotional book, HOPE FOR EACH DAY. It is an older one, and I have others, but this is my favorite. Thank you for all you do for those who need to know Christ and for those of us who are Christians.

2. Wapanglemla says:

Dear Mr Graham thank you for your wonderful words Of wisdom, you are truely amazing. God bless us all Amen.

3. Debbie says:

I have a boss that just told me that she will not be celebrating Easter. Jesus was a good guy but she just doesn’t believe he died and rose from the grave. He was a really good guy when he was on Earth but that is all. How does a Christian respond to such a comment! I was so taken back I merely stated, I was sorry she felt that way and exited.

4. Corey Geog says:

I have a friend from Abkhazi and he is concerned that his mother has never heard the gospel of Jesus Christ. He himself is working on his faith. Is there a bible in Abkhazian? I am going on a visit possibly this fall and want to help in any way I can in this part of the world. Please help me be best prepared. God Bless and thank you.
    Corey Geog

5. Zina Taylor says:

Thank you Mr. Billy for your straight forward uncompromising teachings of Jesus Christ. You have been a blessing to the world!!!!

6. Rosalind Pike says:

Thank you Dr. Graham I love all of your comments about Jesus and his word. It is all uplifting to me. Thanks for all your ministry.

7. Linda Todd says:

Your ministry was a great part of my childhood watching Billy Graham Crusades with my grandparents and when I was saved at the age of 11, walking down the isle to Just as I am at my local church, the same song you used, now as an adult I truly understand those words, so much grace, no matter our condition He takes us, I live in a small community where Satan is running rampid, I would love to start a minisrty for those that have no hope, is there any suggestions on how to get started. Your sister in Christ, Linda Todd

8. Phyllis says:

Easter is one of my favorite holiday ‘ s (beside Christmas) which is my favorite. Jesus came to earth to live and show others the way to live and gave his life on the cross so others could be with Him in heaven before He arose from the grave to provide salvation to all who will just believe in Him and trust in Him for salvation.!

9. Jose Luis Becerra says:

I watch Christian programming I read the Bible I go to church my home Church I watch christian programming I read the bible I go to church my home church World Harvest International Church Delano California but it seems the presence of God is far from me

1. Linda Todd says:

Sometimes God does feel far from us you mentioned all the things you do and where you go, sometimes we get so busy with this that we forget that Jesus isn’t a religeon, He is our Savior that wants to have a very personal relationship with you, spend time with Him, He wants us to commune with Him, He wants our love and devotion to Him, ask, seek, knock, and keep on until you hear from Him, He’s there it’s a promise He said I will never leave you or forsake you. Ask Him is there anything in your life that makes you feel the way you do…Sister in Christ Linda

10. Phil Hanna says: