What Does Money Have to Do With It?

By   •   April 7, 2009   •   Topics:

With so much focus on the financial aspects of our lives, we can easily forget to put God in the center of the equation. But God has a lot to say about what we do with our money. How we handle money affects our relationship with Him. Because of this, each financial decision is a spiritual one.

Reliance upon God

God is the owner of everything. Psalm 24:1 tells us, “The earth is the Lord’s, and all it contains.” Because God is the owner of everything, He is the provider of anything.

Look at what Luke 12:22-24 says about His provision.

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat, or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Consider the ravens: the neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!”

Do you believe that? Do you believe Him? Reliance upon God means reliance upon His word and believing it to be true. Have faith in what God promised us through His word.

Hebrews 11 explains faith as something that cannot be seen. In today’s economic climate, society, and the Christians among it, worry about not getting things we need. In fact, most of us worry about not getting things we want.

And so, we borrow or “purchase” with credit. This makes us reliant upon what lenders can get for us, rather than what God will lovingly and willfully provide for us.

Commitment to God

Matthew 6:24 tells us, “You cannot serve both God and money.” When we place too much emphasis on money, or what it can buy for us, we put something in our lives that will compete with God.

With today’s “buy now, pay later” mentality, debt competes with God for our hearts and our devotion, because it is a form of imprisonment. We are no longer free to give as much to God and His causes since we are bound to lenders.

Jesus died for us so we can be free. Spending ourselves into debt goes against that, because He does not want us to be in bondage. When we are in debt, we are enslaved to it. We are bound to it, constantly worrying how we are going to make monthly payments.

Luke 4:18 tells us that Jesus was sent “to proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free.”

When we are free from the claws of debt and the trap of materialism, we are not only free from bondage. We are free to be content.

Contentment with God

Not only does God have a lot to say about money, He has much to say about contentment.

Paul writes in Philippians that he has “learned to be content in whatever circumstances.” First Timothy 6:8 gets more specific about this issue when it comes to money. “And if we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.”

If we understand God’s role as the provider and our role as the steward, we can become more content with our financial circumstances. We, as humans, shoulder much of the responsibility that belongs to God. When we fail because we are not God, and cannot do what He alone can do, we become discontented. This hinders our relationship with God.

Experience the fullness of a relationship with God today. Rely on God for what you need, commit to Him regardless of your circumstances, and become content with Him and what he provides.

1. rochelle adams says:

This article is so true. If we live by the scriptures discussed and believe them, life becomes simple and carefree

2. Billie Hill says:

Thanks for the truth in the plans God has for our lives; showing us how to live the abundant life in Christ Jesus.

3. Ezekiel Brown says:

This has confirmed to me what tithing is all about. Thank you for this blessing.

4. Rosella says:

Earlier this month, it became clear what tithing was about. I’d always given from my leftover monies. Reading this today really opened my eyes and my spiritual heart. God blesses me with everything I have, so I must give to Him first, not what’s leftover. Thank you God, for speaking to me through this reading. My family and I have been struggling, financially, with our mortgage payments. Now I will give to God first and trust in Him that He will take care of me, my family and our lives. Now that it’s clear to me about how financial obligations can take away from my focus and obedience to God, I will change my thinking. I will trust that God will provide all I need. I love you, God. Thank you for always taking care of me. Thank you for my blessings. Help me to be obedient to Your will. Amen!

5. Mike says:

Thank you for this truthful message about money

6. Libby says:

I appreciate this holy message & biblical teaching. Thank God for me reading this and will apply it now to my daily living.

Touch & agree with me for me to be an good steward of my monies, faithful tither, rely on God to provide for me, and be content with all of his provision.

7. John Abney says:

Why is it that we only call on God to help us when we have gotten ourselves in such a state that we think we will never recover. God uses the mistakes we maketo tteach us that we would do better if we followed Him from the start. God has made everything, including money, and we are responsible to God to care for it as much as we care for the plants or animals around us.

8. Lety says:

Lord help me in thes area of my life since my husband & I are going to a financial struggle for his business and a rental property that we owe half of bad tenants are not paying their rent and I’m having hard time to pay bills on that property this situation is robing my peace. !.lord help me to let go and to trust in you,!

9. Kelly says:

After reading this article, I never thought of the burden debt has over our giving to God. A year ago my husband and I prayed about getting rid of debt. In one year we cut it in half and are able to help others now. We will continue through this next year. Thank you God for all your provisions.

10. Angel says:

God definetly talk to me today.. Is for sure that I often think about how I’m gone to pay my debts. Even when I think I’m not, but when I read this article, definetly I do. I’m always said to others don’t worry, God is in control. And I forgot to tell that to myself sometimes, I will work with that today with the help of Jesus.. I do. God bless you all!