Advent Week 2: Responding to God’s Call

By   •   December 9, 2013

advent

For Week Two, read Matthew 1:19–21: Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

Meditation

We’re given just a little glimpse of Mary and Joseph before Jesus was born. They lived in the hill country of Galilee. Joseph was a religious man. Mary gives every evidence of having a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures, even though she was a teenager. The Bible teaches that God was so pleased with her that He chose her to be the mother of Jesus. Mary and Joseph weren’t married, and yet Mary became pregnant.

I’ve often put myself in Joseph’s place— imagined his thoughts, his aspirations about the girl to whom he was engaged. But Joseph decided to break the engagement privately.

While he was thinking about these things, God’s angel appeared to him in a dream to give Joseph an explanation of the situation. All Joseph’s suspicions were put away. He accepted what God had said through the angel, and he was immediately married to Mary.

Both Joseph and Mary followed the call and plan of God, and through their obedience the way was prepared for Christ to come and bless us.

Are you seeking to follow God’s call on your life? Are you actively responding to Him?

Read the Meditation for Week One »

Do You Need God’s Love in Your Life?

Follow the Steps to Peace online to learn about Jesus or recommit your life to Him.

1. daniel says:

After many yr of dark turmoil. in my life two days i finally gave my self totally to God i know i have a great callinng on my life. For God has blessed me with favor abundantly. and my soul mind and body are for ever gratefully. Ans i praise Him

2. mat s. says:

God spoke to me and said he called me since I was a little boy. And I have known it. For 6 years I have been running and now I want to run to him. I don't want to waste another second not completing his plans for my life.

3. Matt says:

God supplies all our needs. If I needed a cent, he'd give me a thousand dollars. If I needed a headache healed, he'd strengthen my immune system so I wasn't sick for a while. And when I sinned against him, he gave me his son for salvation.

4. Annie says:

Once again, Thank You Heavenly Father, the precious Wonderful Gift, Your only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. I have heard You speaking to my heart. I want to follow Your call, no matter what it may cost, Amen!

5. Brenda says:

I don't know what God's call on my life is.

6. Evans says:

The birth of Christ teaches us a lot of invaluable lessons. The circumstances surrounding His birth and the edifying example set by Mary and Joseph leaves much to be desired and emulated.

7. anna says:

GOD KNOWS WHAT WE ARE GOING TO SAY BEFORE WE SPEAK TO HIM ,READ PSALM 139 AND BE AMAZED AS I WAS, OUR LORD HEARS US , HE KNOWS OUR HEART AND HE IS LISTENING, MAY GOD BLESS EACH OF YOU. HE IS ALL SEEING, ALL KNOWING, ALL POWERFUL AND EVERYWHERE PRESENT. GOD KNOWS US, HE IS WITH US, AND HIS GREATEST GIFT IS TO ALLOW US TO KNOW HIM .

8. Pam says:

I love Jesus Christ with all of my heart my soul and mind. I am waiting patiently on his calling in my life. It has not been easy many trials I have gone through but I will stand for him. I have been stepping out in faith and I know God is very faithful I was a drunk and dabbled iinto drugs. I was a rock singer in the secular world. God has taken alcolhol away from me and drugs.I give him all the Praise and Glory for all he has done in my life. I have lost my house my car.I have been divorced 3 times looking for love when right in front of me all the time Gods love was all I needed.He will take you through the darkest hour he will never leave you or Forsake you.He has healed me of being raped when I was young. And I have alot more to telll.I haved walked the streets of fire now I am walking for God.I will carry his cross and everyone needs to love him for he is truly amazing the blood he has shed for each and everyone of us.And I thank him everyday for taking me out of the valley and standing me on the mountain high.and I know ihe is already using me I am a worship singer but I feel he is calling me for more. Thank you Jesus. I give Him all the Glory. Keep following God surrender it all. He will get you through the darkest hours. God Bless each and everyone of you.

9. Betty says:

I am praying for a wonderful gift this season, and that is the salvation of my oldest son, Bradley and a grandson, Allan. My greatest privilege was receiving that salvation 69 years ago at the age of 6. I want Brad and Allan to know God's forgiveness and the excitement of His walk with them.

10. Obafemi says:

It pays to follow God with all of our existence.