Advent Week 2: Responding to God’s Call

By   •   December 9, 2013

advent

For Week Two, read Matthew 1:19–21: Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

Meditation

We’re given just a little glimpse of Mary and Joseph before Jesus was born. They lived in the hill country of Galilee. Joseph was a religious man. Mary gives every evidence of having a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures, even though she was a teenager. The Bible teaches that God was so pleased with her that He chose her to be the mother of Jesus. Mary and Joseph weren’t married, and yet Mary became pregnant.

I’ve often put myself in Joseph’s place— imagined his thoughts, his aspirations about the girl to whom he was engaged. But Joseph decided to break the engagement privately.

While he was thinking about these things, God’s angel appeared to him in a dream to give Joseph an explanation of the situation. All Joseph’s suspicions were put away. He accepted what God had said through the angel, and he was immediately married to Mary.

Both Joseph and Mary followed the call and plan of God, and through their obedience the way was prepared for Christ to come and bless us.

Are you seeking to follow God’s call on your life? Are you actively responding to Him?

Read the Meditation for Week One »

Do You Need God’s Love in Your Life?

Follow the Steps to Peace online to learn about Jesus or recommit your life to Him.

1. Einar says:

i think its so encouraging that your focus is on children this Christmas. I hope that sometime the initiative will include children in the Middle East. There children don't learn about Jesus Christ and God's love. Instead they are taught about hate and how to become suicide bombers and kill to “go to paradise” God bless your work.

2. alice says:

Jesus has done so much for me. I only focus on the Lord's calling everyday to devote to Him because He is my all and everything I am. He is doing miracles in my life and in the lives of those around me. Praise His name. I am so thankful for Him and with a grateful heart I give Him Praise for all the light to live in His glory for His love and salvation is to no one else but His name. Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. I hope for Him to come and preparation for His comings. Blessings to you for this season of celebrating His birth. Thank you Lord Jesus, the Father God who gives us salvations to believe His son, Blessed be His glorious name on earth and onto man. Thank you Jesus may your light reaches to your family of believers and to those who needs your love and care this season of remembrance of your gracious birth to mankind. Blessings and peace to celebrate His comings, In the name of Jesus Christ, His will to surround with angels of mercy and peace to His callings and His righteousness, blessings to all.

3. Martin says:

I praise God for the BGEA and would like to recommend it in churches around the world, which have not heard of it. As to the Christmas season: We live in a wild time and I have observed that in the minds of many Christians the meaning of Christmas has been steadily eroded. The reason is our obsession for self and our drive for liberalism. We have become so accustomed to romanticize the Christmas story that I feel that we need to get back on track as to the real meaning of Christmas, namely that Christ came into a chaotic and brutal world and that out of the unfathomable love of God His Father he came to die for us on Calvary. That gives a totally different perspective on the significance of Christmas. I don´t discard all the diverse tradition which we have adopted from our parents over the years. As a theologian, though, I must convey the message of the true Christmas as a prelude for Calvary.

4. Patricia (Pat) says:

I have been going through “the dark night of the soul” and long to be back with My Holy Spirit Praising Jesus. Please pray for me – I am 81 years old and long to be Praising My Lord. All blessings,

5. Michael says:

I have been serving Christ for 23 years. This has been an unusual year and I am re-searching for my next step. I am grateful to Him for His many blessings and desire to follow Him obediently for all my days.

6. Japhet says:

God has been speaking to me so loudly through my daily devotion this past few months. I am torn in two different scenarios though. I'm 22 years old and a seaman by profession. I was greatly wondering if God really wanted me to serve Him as a Pastor. I have been speaking to different occasions and I can truly say that Speaking/Preaching/Teaching are what my heart desires to do. But giving up the profession I have on the other hand is really hard to do! God's will be done! His way is always the best. I am trusting that He would work things for the best. And that He would honor the desires of my heart! Thank You so much for this message. This encourages me to always take heed of His call and respond accordingly. God bless everyone!

1. Jim says:

Japhet, how wondrrful it is to hear the call of God on your life! It reminds me of a few of the twelve who were fishermen in the family business but when Jesus called to Peter He said “follow Me and I will make you a fisher of men.” I pray the Lord will make His will clear to you brother! You sound ready to leave all and serve your King. Blessings to you.

7. Cheryl says:

I am seeking God's call on my life wondering.

8. Abel says:

I believe in the teachings of the Word Of God. I understand, therefore, that, the example of Joseph's acceptance of Mary, irrespective of the prevailing atmosphere, is actually Heavenly divine. We all need to be merciful by God but through our humble living in faithfulness to him.

9. ANGELIKA AND CHILDRENS says:

I LOVE JESUSCRISTO AND HIS BIRTH. NEVER IN MY LIFE I KEEP SOME PRECIOUS TO BELIEVE BUT TODAY My LIFE CHANGED BECAUSE HIS HISTORY AND ALL WHO IS HIM AND WHAT HE IS DO IT FOR MY AND PEOPLE ALWAYS IS SO PRECIOUS I LOVE JESUSCRISTO BECAUSE TODAY HE IS MY SAVIOR AND LORD FOREVER WHO KEEPS MY LIFE IN HIS ARMS AND PRECIOUS HANDS, WHO TAKES THE CONTROL FOR ALL SITUATIONS ABOUT THIS COMMENT FOR DECISION MAGAZINE IS PRECIOUS ANGELS TO TALK THAT FOR MY IS THE MORE IMPORTANT IN MY LIFE AND THANK YOU TO THE HEAVENLY FATHER FOR SENDING THE LORD JESUSCRISTO IN THIS EARTH AND LOVE TO HISS ANGELS. DECISION MAGAZINE THANK YOU GOD BLESS YOU THANKS JESUSCRISTO FOR THIS CHRISTMAS TIME FOR BLESS AND FOR THE BIRTH FOR THE LORD JESUSCRISTO THANKS YOU BLESS ANGELIKA.

10. Anna says:

I have many gifts of the spirit. The holy spirit has communicated to me I am to be an apostle for the glory of GOD. I am need of spiritual teaching on the gifts I have. Can you guide me in this journey with Jesus Christ. Blessings to You.

1. AYO says:

i want to hear GOD when HE speaks. At times i think may be there is a problem somewhere.. Please can you help me on this. I need GOD in every decision of my life.