Advent Week 3: Sharing the True Christmas Message

By   •   December 13, 2014

Nativity Scene
The nativity scene is always a favorite at Christmas at the Library. This year's animal lineup included a camel with two humps. Get details on Christmas events: http://bit.ly/ChristmasAtLibrary2014

Week Three: December 14

On that first Christmas night, the angels appeared to shepherds on a hill near Bethlehem. Alfred Edersheim, the great 19th-century Jewish-Christian scholar, wrote in his book The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah that the shepherds and the sheep to whom the angels appeared near Bethlehem were no ordinary shepherds and sheep.

The sheep were those bound for the temple sacrifices. The shepherds were outcasts because of their necessary isolation from religious ordinances. And their manner of life rendered legal observances unlikely, if not absolutely impossible.

How wonderful that in God’s wisdom and love the angels should appear to them—the doomed and the outcast—that night.

Today we can declare to the world that the Good Shepherd cares for all people and wants to give them peace. Christ came on that first Christmas for one great purpose—to die on the cross for our sins. Now God offers forgiveness, inner peace, and eternal life to all who will repent and believe in His Son. This is the Christmas message!

Do you know people who need to hear about God’s love and forgiveness? Will you share the true Christmas message with them this year?

Read the Meditation for Week Two »

Read the Meditation for Week One »

1. Pastor .Stephen Sarkar says:

Praise living mighty Lord Jesus name.thank you so much .my pray to you .please pray to our church for bangladesh

2. Cathrine McCulloch says:

I wasn’t raised in a non Christian home but in extreme abuse. I was locked away in my room my whole childhood. God made himself known to me there always was comforting me. I was saved by a Billy Graham trac in my early twenties. I have since then have volunteered in juvi jails, camps, and crisis lines for teens. I am now stepping out to do a fundraising concert to raise money for a teen homeless shelter. Please pray for favor – thank you so much for your ear and heart!

3. Nancy Puche says:

So nice to be reconnected with the Billy Graham organization. I’ve been sharing the weekly Advent messages.

4. Richard Mckissack says:

I believe in the birth of Jesus,the death and the resurrection so that we may be saved.where in the bible
    Does it tell me I should celebrate his
    Birth and how.I feel the scripture warns me not to do most of the things associated with Christmas because these things were associated with heathens and pagan worship.I am nowhere close to where I want to be in my faith but have recently been praying and
    Asking Jesus to guide and help me to turn from sin and live a life closer
    To him.i would appreciate any feedback.thank you for your time,
    God bless.

5. Sandra Denton says:

The True Meaning of Christmas, is What Keeps Me Going!!!!!!!!!!

6. Leonard says:

My King Jesus. my redeemer who delivered me….. I am a free christian now in Jesus Christ John 8: 36… Thank You Father for sending your Son… Love and God Bless You all!!…..

7. Mang tombing says:

Amen! Amen!

8. mlian cung says:

Very good short Christmas message. .thanks

9. lalboi kipgen says:

Thanks alot. PRAISE THE LORD.

10. Pastor.A.James Williams, M.Th. says:

Timely Christmas message for the lost World. thank you for the word to the people who are in darkness