Advent Week 3: Sharing the True Christmas Message

By   •   December 13, 2014

Nativity Scene
The nativity scene is always a favorite at Christmas at the Library. This year's animal lineup included a camel with two humps. Get details on Christmas events: http://bit.ly/ChristmasAtLibrary2014

Week Three: December 14

On that first Christmas night, the angels appeared to shepherds on a hill near Bethlehem. Alfred Edersheim, the great 19th-century Jewish-Christian scholar, wrote in his book The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah that the shepherds and the sheep to whom the angels appeared near Bethlehem were no ordinary shepherds and sheep.

The sheep were those bound for the temple sacrifices. The shepherds were outcasts because of their necessary isolation from religious ordinances. And their manner of life rendered legal observances unlikely, if not absolutely impossible.

How wonderful that in God’s wisdom and love the angels should appear to them—the doomed and the outcast—that night.

Today we can declare to the world that the Good Shepherd cares for all people and wants to give them peace. Christ came on that first Christmas for one great purpose—to die on the cross for our sins. Now God offers forgiveness, inner peace, and eternal life to all who will repent and believe in His Son. This is the Christmas message!

Do you know people who need to hear about God’s love and forgiveness? Will you share the true Christmas message with them this year?

Read the Meditation for Week Two »

Read the Meditation for Week One »

1. Annie says:

I will speak of Your Love and Forgiveness also before Kings and Nations, and will not be ashamed,…..for I'm not ashamed of the Gospel of christ: for it is the power of God unto Salvation to every one that believeth. AMEN!

2. joan says:

It was my privilege to lead some one to Christ this Christmas. It is the best gift for him to receive Christ as his personal Saviour and gave me great Joy Blessing to you Billy and family

3. Dave says:

People for the last 4000 years have attempted to reach out to god. With Jesus God reaches out to people.

4. Patrick says:

I think it is amazing work of GOD who can come down on this earth to show his love towards man kind, and his greatness.

5. Jeremiah says:

God becomes a man so that we may have abundant life in Him. Merry Christmas to everyone.

6. Sharon says:

Thank you Mr. Graham for giving my husband and I a way to celebrate advent. We have used your devotionals and they have been a blessing.May God continue to bless you and your family. God is so good to us.

7. Leicia says:

Thank you, Mr. Graham, for reminding us of God's loving provision for all of us. Reflecting on the experience of those ancient shepherds is wonderful. Merry Christmas, Mr. Graham.

8. Annie says:

My LORD and my Savior, Make me a light in a dark place. No matter where You are going to take me, I want to follow Your call with all my heart! MERRY CHRISTMAS to you Rev. Billy Graham, your family and your Ministry BGEA…..!!!

9. Lillian says:

I love to hear this again and again from Billy Graham..What a wonderful inspiration to all who hear him talk…Thank you…God Bless and Merry Christmas..

10. Deon says:

Praise the Lord!!!! Shared with our church this morning that when God created the earth “the angels shouted for joy” (Job 38); when God sent His Son Jesus Christ and the angel appeared to the shepherds, “the angels sang for joy…a Savior has been born…Christ the Lord…Glory to God in the highest….”