They Saw Christ in Her

By   •   October 27, 2010   •   Topics:

When Rapid Response Team chaplain Toni New began snapping photos Oct. 26 in a Haitian clinic, the lonely people basked in the attention she was giving them and broke into wide smiles. Toni asked Ricardo, a translator, to ask if the group of eight would like prayer.

All of the people raised their hands, then Toni asked if they would like to pray individually or as a group. The consensus was individual prayer.

Toni approached a woman who appeared to be older, asking her age. The answer was 45. She then asked the lady if she was a Christian; she was not. When Toni took the next step and asked the woman if she would like to receive Jesus, the answer was a resounding “yes.” That is when Toni led the woman in the sinner’s prayer and shared the plan of salvation with her.

As the two women chatted via the translator, Toni shared how she had been a Christian her whole life. “I hope that I can spend the rest of my life serving the Lord,” replied the Haitian woman. “But there is nothing here for me and I want to be in heaven with the Lord right now.”

Toni welcomed the woman to the family of God – and told her they were now sisters. “I am so glad you are part of my family,” the Haitian responded. “You have shown the people that you care about them and love them. That is why we all wanted prayer from you and wanted to receive the Jesus you have.”

Before Toni departed, the woman told her it meant so much to everyone that she spent time with them and tried to bring joy to their hearts.

“Whenever I look at your picture,” Toni replied, “I will pray for you.”

Are you sure of your salvation?

Follow the Step to Peace online to recommit your life to Jesus.

1. Marcella says:

God bless what have you done Toni, as a christian, we do not always talk about Jesus but we have to do like Jesus has done, share the love of Jesus to many people who need help in the world.

2. Linda says:

Ellen: Jesus is the only begotten Son of God who came to Earth to redeem us all from our sins. He died a cruel death on the cross, carrying the sins of the world on his body…he rose again after 3 days and is the Savior God promised in the Bible. Jesus now sits at the right hand of God the Father in Heaven, but He left the Holy Spirit (the 3rd person of the Holy Trinity) on Earth to be our Guide, Comforter, and Friend. Jesus is LORD! Praise the LORD! “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world, but the world through Him might be saved.” John 3:16-17

3. Mary says:

I would like to thank Toni and the Loved One for the Mission work they are doing in Haiti. It gave me chills for the wonderful work of God that you all doing for God's peoples. I had a Haiti love one that just went to be with the Lord on May 12, 2010 so my heart goes out to those families in Haiti.

4. KatRich says:

I so enjoyed reading this about Toni. She is a beautiful woman inside and out that I have the pleasure of knowing. You would never know the physical pain she is overcoming each day to be there for those who need to hear her testimony and love for Christ. To everyone there with Toni and Al, bless you for doing what so many of us can't. God Bless.

5. ELLEN says:

HEY WORLD …THIS IS ELLEN…WHO IS THIS JESUS EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT?

6. Estanislao Garza says:

I try to let people know JESUS has open arms for them. Are you ready to get your hug?

7. Buzz says:

Simply a joy to read about this lady spreading the gospel in Haiti with all their difficulties there.I pray that she brings many sould to Christ. God bless you Toni.

8. Jane says:

Beautiful testimony and encouragement to my heart to share the love of Jesus with the people in my world…

9. Jean says:

Many here in the US have not seen Who Christ really is and I, myself have been shocked to hear that some have never seen the love and kindness of bringing a sick friend a bowl of soup! This world is hurt and hurting and needs Christ NOW more than ever, let us be Christ to this sinsick dying world!!!

10. Ginger says:

What a blessing for Toni and Al to be able to be a part of the Haiti Mission work. I know God put her there for just this time with the Haitian woman. Toni and AL we are praying for you and the people you come in contact with while in Haiti. God's blessing on you all.