The Importance of Bearing Fruit

By   •   July 9, 2010

John 15:8, Jesus tells us, “My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be my disciples.” When we are followers of Jesus Christ, it is important for us to have proof of this faith. Not just for the encouragement of other believers, but to show those who don’t believe that the Gospel is real.

So, what does that look like? Let’s examine some of the traits of a fruitful disciple.

A Confident Prayer Life

John 15: 7 describes the prayer life of a disciple:

“If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you.”

Here, the word abide doesn’t merely mean to hang around or wait. It bears the connotation of endurance, and a sense of expectancy. That is how we must see biblical hope. In the world, the word hope means to “wish.” In the Bible, it refers to a sense of holy expectation – not so much “hoping,” but knowing that God is going to come through for you in a way that is consistent with His word.

When those around us see that we are confident that God is going to come through for us, the chances are better that they will take the Gospel more seriously because they see that it works.

A Joyful Heart

Take a look at John 15:11:

“These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.”

It is important to understand that being full of joy doesn’t mean to feel “happy.” When circumstances are not ideal in the life of a fruitful disciple, he or she may still have a feeling of sadness or disappointment, but have a sense of peace at the same time. This is a picture of biblical joy – having a deep peace about a situation out of knowledge that God’s perspective is different and that He is all-knowing.

The world is not looking for us to lead perfect lives; they are watching us to see how we handle it when we don’t.

A Genuine Love for Others

A love for Christ and indifference toward someone else cannot successfully coexist. In John 13:35, Jesus tells us that, “All men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

As stated above, the world is watching us. Love for someone else is not dictated by a feeling, it is represented by a choice – and an action. When we choose to love other people by our service to them, even those who are unlovable, we are speaking volumes about the very real and overtaking power of the Gospel.

It is to our Father’s glory that we bear much fruit, and it is also important to the Great Commission:

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28: 19-20)

Help Us Fulfill the Great Commission

Your financial gift will help us to boldly preach the Gospel around the world and in our own nation. Please send a generous gift today.

*All Scripture references are taken from the New American Standard Bible.

1. l says:

It's best to lose the material, the temporal, in order to gain the eternal. Love, His love, really is everything, and, one's spiritual status is that which motivates to action, whether consciously or sub-consciously. In JESUS, the TRUTH – we trust.

2. Paula - says:

It's true that “Love is not dictated by a feeling but it is a choice and acting on it.” The same is true that people watch us how we handle imperfect situation in our lives. God bless you!

3. Bearing Fruit says:

Bearing good fruit is the only positive proof that people judge in your walk… I ll be the first to admitt that improvement is always needed. Life is not always the easiest.

4. Mavic says:

Please pray for the salvation of my family…that they may know about the love of Christ..that their names will also be written in the Book of Life.. Thank you so much.. God bless

5. Lucy says:

I have read the above requests and my heart goes out to all of you. You sound so close to Jesus in your walk. Keep close. Every day is a new day. I pray for all of you with tears. Your faith is a blessing to me. Keep your chin up—to Jesus, and always love. He can give you joy in the midst of the most hurting situations. Keep the faith with love.

6. tina says:

To Robert regarding your stepdaughter, I am also a stepmother, I always stood very strong in my Godly morals and did not waiver. She will come around your light must shine bright in her eyes right now and that's when people or our children tend to look away and criticize. So you stay strong in the Lord and believe, and pray for her and her children she will come around. I will also keep you and your family in prayer. I know exactly what you're going through. My stepsons have come back, not walking in the Lord but they are realizing what I have been to them with Christ's help they always lean to me and I always tell them the Godly way and they listen so hang in there. God Bless

7. annnalee says:

Please pray for me to find a job to help my single parent. Thank you.

8. Lena says:

Please pray for my husband…he don't believe in God and Jesus the Saviour. I've been praying for him around 8 years. He only believe that all the good things he had because of his good attitude and kharma. He don't believe the grace from God..

9. Robert says:

Please pray for one of my “30-something” stepdaughters and her family. She has demonstrated that she has never really accepted me as her stepfather, even after over 14 years! Although we helped raise one of her children for a year while she was still a single mother many years ago, she recently insulted me even further by saying I'm not any of her children's step-grandfather! My wife hung up on her when she did that, and has cut her off, not having anything to do with her, which still saddens me, even with her disrespectful behavior toward me. My wife and I have pledged to remain together no matter what. Please pray that the Lord will help her daughter see things His way, as well as for our reconciliation with her also.