The Importance of Bearing Fruit

By   •   July 9, 2010

John 15:8, Jesus tells us, “My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be my disciples.” When we are followers of Jesus Christ, it is important for us to have proof of this faith. Not just for the encouragement of other believers, but to show those who don’t believe that the Gospel is real.

So, what does that look like? Let’s examine some of the traits of a fruitful disciple.

A Confident Prayer Life

John 15: 7 describes the prayer life of a disciple:

“If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you.”

Here, the word abide doesn’t merely mean to hang around or wait. It bears the connotation of endurance, and a sense of expectancy. That is how we must see biblical hope. In the world, the word hope means to “wish.” In the Bible, it refers to a sense of holy expectation – not so much “hoping,” but knowing that God is going to come through for you in a way that is consistent with His word.

When those around us see that we are confident that God is going to come through for us, the chances are better that they will take the Gospel more seriously because they see that it works.

A Joyful Heart

Take a look at John 15:11:

“These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.”

It is important to understand that being full of joy doesn’t mean to feel “happy.” When circumstances are not ideal in the life of a fruitful disciple, he or she may still have a feeling of sadness or disappointment, but have a sense of peace at the same time. This is a picture of biblical joy – having a deep peace about a situation out of knowledge that God’s perspective is different and that He is all-knowing.

The world is not looking for us to lead perfect lives; they are watching us to see how we handle it when we don’t.

A Genuine Love for Others

A love for Christ and indifference toward someone else cannot successfully coexist. In John 13:35, Jesus tells us that, “All men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

As stated above, the world is watching us. Love for someone else is not dictated by a feeling, it is represented by a choice – and an action. When we choose to love other people by our service to them, even those who are unlovable, we are speaking volumes about the very real and overtaking power of the Gospel.

It is to our Father’s glory that we bear much fruit, and it is also important to the Great Commission:

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28: 19-20)

Help Us Fulfill the Great Commission

Your financial gift will help us to boldly preach the Gospel around the world and in our own nation. Please send a generous gift today.

*All Scripture references are taken from the New American Standard Bible.

1. marenda says:

I am praying for my fellow friends that are missionaries and would like prayer that I would live a godly life, for my prayers to be answered in amazing ways. I am also praying for revival in my town of Pullman Wa. I pray for my customers at my job for there salvation. I pray for all the Christians to be filled with the Holy Spirit and live the life God called us to live.

2. sarah says:

Thank you for this message…it helps a lot… God bless!

3. orlando says:

This doesn't mean that the tree will grow the same fruit, by it's roots culture, traditions, beliefs, in whatever case, maybe the tree is fruitful when nurtured with fertilizers, by the Spirit of the LORD JESUS.

4. Sherrie says:

Need guidance for my current job. It is very challenging as the folks I work with are not Christians (not by action anyway – cussing, name-calling, mean spirited). I try so hard but am having a hard time coping daily with this. Ask that God lead and guide me. He gave me this scripture tonite…Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heat, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths. I have prayed for each one of you this evening…thanks for the prayers in advance.

5. lhiz resma says:

It's really encouraging and a wake up call too..thanks! God will finish His work to each one of us. Just like how he became patient to Jacob. He will not give up on us. Sometimes we become head hardened but still God is so merciful, that if He called us already as His child, no one can snatch us from HIS hands!Hosanna to the Highest!

6. Tony says:

Hello Brenda, if you would let me… I respectfully recommend you: please read James Dobson's “Love must be tough” regarding your marriage and your husband's adulterous relationship.

7. Carol says:

Please pray for my husband. My son has a call to be a missionary but my husband doesn't understand. He thinks our son is abandoning us. I will pray for these other concerns also.

8. ELIZABETH says:

WE MINSTER TO OTHERS IN SPIRIT AND LOVE. WE WENT ON CHURCH VISITATION TO THE ELDERLY AND GOT MORE JOY OUT OF IT THAN THEY DID. WE TRY TO DO THIS WEEKLY

9. jean says:

Please pray for my husband and youngest daughter. In Jesus name. Thank you.

10. Servant says:

Please pray for my wife. I don't know that she has accepted Christ as her Savior and Lord. I don't see the fruits as an inspector of her tree, not the judge. It appears that she is seemingly consumed by the world and worldy things. There is no real warmth, niceness, or acceptance as a long-time family member coming from her toward me and many times others in the household. There is more warm interaction and acceptance with her family and friends in other parts of the country, and her Facebook family, than those in her own home; those who have been there for her directly in sickness and in health, in good times and lean times. Though not perfect myself, I toil hard daily for Caesar and try always to put and keep God first; walking closer to Him who is Almighty and makes everything my wife seemingly takes for granted in her life, possible. I pray that she comes to know the Savior of the world for her own life; whether my daughter and/or I benefit or not from her change. For hell is a real place and is also eternal, and I know my God wishes no one should perish. I also pray (similar to sister Brenda) that God will restoration her to Himself, and if it's His Will to our marriage, which I feel suffers as a result of the status quo. In Jesus' name.