Sowing Seeds of the Gospel: Who is the Holy Spirit?

By Excerpted from "Does the Holy Spirit Shine Through You?" by Billy Graham   •   February 3, 2011

It is impossible to understand the Bible, Christian living, the structure of the church, or our own relationship with God without understanding the Person and work of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not an “it.” The Holy Spirit is a person. The Bible says that He is not something. He is Someone. He is God.

There are three persons in the Trinity—God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit. The Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit is all-powerful. We read in Micah 3:8, “I am full of power by the Spirit of the Lord” (NKJV). The Bible says that God is present everywhere. No matter where we go, He is there. “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?” (Psalm 139:7, NKJV). The Holy Spirit can be in your heart and my heart, and we may live a thousand miles apart.

The Holy Spirit has all knowledge. The Bible says, “The Spirit seaches all things, even the deep things of God” (1 Corinthians 2:10). It is the Holy Spirit who teaches us and takes us deeper into God’s truth as we go along in our Christian life. We are to grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ, but we can grow only by the help of the Holy Spirit.

The moment that we receive Christ as Savior, the Holy Spirit comes to live in our heart. Our Body becomes the temple of the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit helps us live the Christian life.

There is not a person anywhere who can be a Christian without the Holy Spirit. There is not a person who can follow Christ without the help of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit sees everything that goes on. He knows what goes on in our hearts. He knows what goes on in our minds. Nothing is hidden from Him.

And the Bible says that the Holy Spirit is eternal. In Hebrews 9:14 we read “the eternal Spirit.”

The Holy Spirit is called holy. The Bible says, “Be holy, because I am holy” (1 Peter 1:16). One of the Holy Spirit ministries is to help make us holy. We ought to be more holy today than we were yesterday. We should always be conforming more to the image of Jesus Christ, and it is the Holy Spirit who helps us in this growing process.

Read Part Two »

*”Does the Holy Spirit Shine Through You?” is part of the Billy Graham Sermon Series. All Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version, unless otherwise noted.

1. Jerami says:

Thank you JESUS for the GIFT of being able daily to walk in The HOLY SPIRIT….

2. Gary says:

Question; if someone calls you on your phone, is the phone a person? No, of course not, and neither is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is god's internet. There is always an angel of God on the other end of the line, “a person” so when we talk with God, we are talking with a “person.” but the Spirit itself is like the air which is the source of our “winds.” The Holy Spirit is in it and not a person, but there is always a very special person on the other end of the line.<>< ===><>Gary Sechler

3. Rafael(Brazil) says:

I liked this article. I have every day to know more about the Holy Spirit, because He is amazing!!!! Thanks, God bless you and me!

4. Tracey says:

Hii Astrid, I read your request to be baptized by the Holy Spirit, and your desire to perform miracles as proof of His Existence. We, as Christians do not look to signs and wonders as proof of God's presence. The Christian lives by faith alone. God commanded in His word that we not be drunk on wine(which is sin) but instead to be filled with His Spirit. He also says that if we pray according to His will, He hears us and we can know that we have what we've asked for. It is God's will that you be filled with the Holy Spirit. Ask God to fill you with His Spirit. Believe He has filled you according to His word. Thank Him for keeping His promise. Give Him control of your life. If you don't believe you are filled, you are not. You are filled by faith. (God said it, I believe it, may not understand it, may not like it, and thats that…)The filling of the Spirit is a moment by moment continual experience. We are filled at the time of sallvation, (this is eternal) but the Spirit will search us and show us unconfessed sin in our lives . We are not to search ourselves, this is the Spirits function. As sin is revealed, we confess(admit it is sin) repent, (have a change of mind and desire) Thank Jesus for dying for it. God says if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness. We believe we are forgiven and cleansed based on His word. Our prayer then is :Father, fill us with your Spirit.

5. Raymond says:

Paula, the Holy Spirit is given to every person once they believe the gospel of Jesus Christ, Eph. 1:13-14. Walking in the Holy Spirit and being filled with the Holy Spirit are the same, Galatians 5:14-17,25. Doing this constantly takes growth, Eph. 4:13-15. Prayer language is an evidence and not the evidence. If a little child does not know to pray that way are they not saved, when they believe. Read 1 Cor. 12:8-11, 29- 13:9; 1 Cor. 14:1-18. God wants us to grow and these things will come the closer we are to the Lord.

6. Mash says:

The Holy Spirit is eternal, omniscient and omnipresent. God bless you all.

7. Paula says:

The Holy Spirit comes to us after we are born again. It is a higher level in our walk with Christ. You can be born again, but not filled with the Holy Spirit untill you invite Him in just as we do Jesus Christ. He fills you and Baptizes you just as He did the apostles. The evidence of the Holy Spirit is a prayer language other than your own, given by the Holy Spirit.

8. Bobbie from Missouri says:

What a Wonderful Awesome Savior! Where would I (We) be without HIM? Thanks and Praises to YOU dear Holy Ones; The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit!

9. Brenda says:

I know the Holy Spirit lives in me. He even had me write a song about HIM! How amazing is that?

10. mark says:

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to write out a post. They were a blessing to read. I gave my life to Christ a couple years ago and even though a lot of my problems in my life I still carry I can handle it because I know the Holy Spirit is in me and He doesn't let me walk alone. Each pound of problems on my shoulder its as if The Holy Spirit turned it into a grain of sand. GOD BLESS everyone..