Preparing to Celebrate Christ’s Birth

By   •   December 2, 2013   •   Topics:

advent candles

The “Advent season” usually starts four weeks before Christmas and concludes with the celebration of Christ’s birth. Some churches emphasize the Advent season more than others, but all Christians look forward to celebrating Christ’s birth during this season of the year.

Why was Jesus’ birth so important? The reason is because slightly over 2,000 years ago, God stooped down from Heaven and became a human being: Jesus Christ. As the Bible says, “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.” — John 1:14, NIV

Think of it: God became a man! He did it because He loves us—and that’s what we should celebrate as Christmas approaches.

Week One: December 2

Read Isaiah 9:6 — In this Scripture we find the message and meaning of Christmas. Isaiah the prophet gave five awe-inspiring names of our Lord that encourage us, thrill us, and fill us with hope at this Christmas season.

1. Wonderful. When He did His many miracles, the Scripture says, “The people wondered” (Luke 11:14, KJV).

2. Counselor. The people said, “No one ever spoke the way this man does” (John 7:46, NIV).

3. The Mighty God. He is the God-Man. He said that He and the Father are one (John 10:30).

4. The Everlasting Father. It was by Him, the living Word, that all things were created. He is the designer of the whole universe (John 1:3; Hebrews 11:3).

5. The Prince of Peace. There will never be lasting peace on earth until He comes again to reign in righteousness. But He is also the Prince of Peace in other ways. None can have peace with God apart from Him and the peace that He made through the blood of His cross (Colossians 1:20).

The full meaning of these words from Isaiah should give us enough strength, hope, and joy to face any crisis, endure any sorrow, and meet any temptation. How has Jesus shown you recently that He is “Wonderful, Counselor … the Prince of Peace”?

Do You Need God’s Love in Your Life?

Follow the Steps to Peace online to learn about Jesus or recommit your life to Him.

1. Tracy Esther says:

He is the ONLY Living GOD. The TRIUNE GOD. Be saved, be sure, be Spirit filled!

2. Ps. A.Sudheer lal babu says:

Br. We are very blessed by your kind message, hope to receive remaining.

3. Rosebell says:

I thank God for his Loving mercy and grace toward the world. I remember Christ’s birth everyday in my life and Thank God for His spirit of Love shown to us.

4. Jose Rios says:

Miro el camino transitado en mi vida, y solo tengo mucho agradecimiento a Dios, cada dìa que amanece y abro mis ojos es un milagro para mi, gracias Jesus por tantas bendiciones recibidas.

5. Pamela Zeedyk says:

Advent is a beautiful time of reflection and preparation of our heart to receive Jesus. It is filled with wonder—why such a loving God? I am a child again of my Heavenly Father united in the love of faith and family.

6. Adrienne says:

The complexites of this world are impossible to survive without my God and Savior. Thank you Father for your birth, teaching, and sacarfice with your blood and life that I might be saved. Glory be to God.

7. Jerry Parks says:

what a wonderful savior Jesus is to me.

8. Sylvia Sanchez says:

His Love Endures Forever and Ever. THE GREATEST GIFT JESUS.

9. Catalina says:

The lord has been faithful to me. I went through a divorce 5 years ago. Had my youngest daughter run away which I say had tio be more crushing than the divorce. Met a man who has stood by me since she left and who wants to be warrior for the lord. My God at times felt far away. But I kno he was always near. He is definitely mystMrrength and refuge. He’s everything

10. Darla Vizina says:

He gave me the gift of life…he gave me my sons, and he gave my husband life….he is in remission from aml….and getting closer to the end of this hard journey. My mom is alive because of a miracle also…..and God is with us all the way….and we feel his presence constantly……thank u God for my life !!!!