Letting God Handle the Impossible

By Ruth Bell Graham   •   June 30, 2011

Each man needs something a little bit different from what another man may need. Are you trying to adapt yourself to your husband and be the kind of wife he needs—not the kind you think he needs?

The best advice I ever heard given to a woman whose husband was not a Christian was: “Your business is not to make him good, but to make him happy!” It’s God’s business to make him good.

I heard a true story about a mother of five children. She had a militantly unbelieving husband who took great delight in criticizing his wife, making fun of her faith in front of the children and telling her faults before guests. He did everything he could to undermine her, and yet those children grew up to be dedicated Christian men and women.

Late in her life a friend who knew of the difficult situation asked the mother how she had managed to cope. She replied, “I made it a point never to argue with my husband and never to criticize him; and I made it a point, when I tucked the children in at night, to read to them from the Word of God and to pray with them.”

A wife has two God-given weapons— love: this includes ministering to your husband’s immediate needs; and prayer: keep your mouth shut and pray. We are to keep busy in our department and stay out of God’s. We are to take care of the possible and let God take care of the impossible.

Taken by permission from “Husbands, Children and God” by Ruth Bell Graham, originally published in Decision magazine, June 1967 ©1967 The Ruth Graham Literary Trust.

1. Kare says:

I tried. I gave up. He is still that way, but I pray for him. Do I feel guilty? From this message I should, but I don't. God knows where I have been, what I have done and what my future holds. I believe God can change lives and know that I cannot. My life is in His hands. Securely.

2. Nancy says:

I so needed to hear this re-enforcement today! I love my husband so much and he is a wonderful husband and father, but I worry about his salvation. I know he accepted Christ as his Savior at a young age, but something happened before we met that took him away from God. I pray daily that together, we will worship and continue to grow old.

3. pam says:

I get leaving my husband to God but his heart is sooo hardened that he can't even go to God anymore. I just wonder if I leave him to God if even God can get through to him, you have to be willing to listen? right?

4. SharonLenon says:

That's the Truth!!!

5. Janie says:

I really enjoyed this. I hope to visit the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte.

6. Margie says:

Thank you Lord for helping me to see this page, I pray Lord for your grace and strength to be the wife you want me to be to this man I married.

7. Rina says:

What a wonderful example from Mrs. R. Graham. I will leave my husband in the hands of the Lord. He knows exactly what I'm going through. The Lord is my Shepherd, and I trust in Him.

8. NANCY says:

I WOULD LIKE TO JUST SAY, I AM GOING THROUGH THIS RIGHT NOW, I JUST READ WHAT RUTH HAD TO SAY, AND SHE IS RIGHT, I MUST BE QUIET AND TRUST GOD TO TAKE CARE OF MY HUSBAND NOT ME. FOR I KNOW HE IS THE POTTER I AM THE CLAY, JUST AS HE IS THE POTTER FOR MY HUSBAND AND MY HUSBAND IS THE CLAY. I SO NEEDED TO READ THIS, THANK YOU, MRS. RUTH GRAHAM, YOUR WISDOM LIVES ON, AMEN

9. Jo says:

Do not be discouraged for God doesn't lie. He changed my husband's life and now he leads our home in prayer, and is the best father to my daughter. I had to put it all at God's feet. It is God who spoke to his spirit. Nothing I ever did or said made my husband change but it was one morning he woke up claiming he decided he wanted to be a better Christian. Men will always battle life much differently than women. The devil knows he is the appointed leader of our home but if you just trust the Lord and keep still while praying and being obedient as a wife, “you will” see God's miracle working in your husband. God doesn't lie; and His timing is perfect so….”be still and know that I am God” -Psalm 46:10

10. Veronica says:

This sounds so difficult to do and I battle in this area of my life. My immediate response is to try and prevent my husband from making mistakes or always trying to get him to see my version of right and wrong. His actions and my response to his actions are driving us apart. I struggle with the question of is he the one for me that God has. It's so confusing.