Letting God Handle the Impossible

By Ruth Bell Graham   •   June 30, 2011

Each man needs something a little bit different from what another man may need. Are you trying to adapt yourself to your husband and be the kind of wife he needs—not the kind you think he needs?

The best advice I ever heard given to a woman whose husband was not a Christian was: “Your business is not to make him good, but to make him happy!” It’s God’s business to make him good.

I heard a true story about a mother of five children. She had a militantly unbelieving husband who took great delight in criticizing his wife, making fun of her faith in front of the children and telling her faults before guests. He did everything he could to undermine her, and yet those children grew up to be dedicated Christian men and women.

Late in her life a friend who knew of the difficult situation asked the mother how she had managed to cope. She replied, “I made it a point never to argue with my husband and never to criticize him; and I made it a point, when I tucked the children in at night, to read to them from the Word of God and to pray with them.”

A wife has two God-given weapons— love: this includes ministering to your husband’s immediate needs; and prayer: keep your mouth shut and pray. We are to keep busy in our department and stay out of God’s. We are to take care of the possible and let God take care of the impossible.

Taken by permission from “Husbands, Children and God” by Ruth Bell Graham, originally published in Decision magazine, June 1967 ©1967 The Ruth Graham Literary Trust.

1. Rachel says:

Thank you and God Bless the Grahams. Your message gave me pause, thank the Lord for this message. Today I really needed that.

2. shamiza says:

I am so thankful for this advice, it only comforts what God has been laying upon my heart this week. I believe that with God nothing happens coincidentally.

3. Karey says:

I have been married over 25 yrs now and I know through experience that Ruths' spiritual advice is true. Being married to a believer who is not a spiritual leader can be a tough journey but only if you try to go about the relationship your way instead of God's. Praying without ceasing for your spouse is the only way to go. Let go and let God work his miracles. God bless us all as we continue our journey with Christ.

4. Joy says:

Blessings to our God and Father! He has blessed us with spiritual blessings in the heavenly places in Christ.. everY good gift comes from Him and since they are a gift from God we really need to just be thankful for them instead of criticizing the gift He gave!

5. Canuck says:

I am glad that everything worked out for the woman in this story and that Ruth Graham had a wonderful marriage and was blessed with a God-fearing, God-loving husband. I have lived through a marriage with a unbeliever and could not stay in the marriage. The verbal and spiritual abuse was too much – and a very poor example for my children. I prayed and still pray for my ex husband but did not want the risk of my daughter believing this is what a marriage is and copy this example and did not want my son to believe that this is how to treat a woman and that it is her job to take it. I am sure that God's will for me is not this pain and heaviness upon my life. I guess if you can bear the load it is best to try. . . I could not and feel a lightness and joy in the Lord since. We should all pray earnestly and constantly for our families

6. Lucy says:

It is a wonderful message thank very much and may God help you to come up with other encouraging messages. I thank God because he changed my husband and now he is a pastor. Glory be to God.

7. Tracey says:

I encourage any one who is in physical danger to run to safety!