Is Anything in Life Free Anymore?

By Will Graham   •   March 26, 2013

The Easter Sunrise Service has always been one of my favorite services to preach. There’s something so special and unique about gathering to worship the risen Savior on Easter morning. It’s a time when we can focus most on the sacrifice and glorious resurrection of Jesus, which gives us hope and removes the sting of death. I love it!

I remember several years ago when I was in college and dating the beautiful woman who would one day be my bride, Kendra. I took her with me to visit my grandfather, Billy Graham, for Easter in Montreat, N.C.

On our way back to Liberty University that afternoon, we drove up to Boone, N.C., to see my parents. We pulled into a little gas station on the south side of U.S. Route 70 to fuel up and be on our way. I vividly remember standing in line while the people in front of me made friendly conversation with the clerk behind the counter.

“Nothing’s free anymore!” the man chuckled as he handed over the money to pay for his gasoline purchase.

At that moment God told me to speak. My heart cried out to share the Gospel with these people: “Yes, God’s gift of Salvation is free! That’s what Easter is all about! God paid the debt for you through His Son, Jesus!”

My friends, that’s what I should have said.

Sadly, I kept that proclamation to myself. I regret it to this day. God gave me the words to say and wanted me to share His hope on that glorious Easter day with people who likely needed to hear it, but I disobeyed him and kept it silently in my heart. Frankly, I chickened out.

I made a covenant with God that day that if I ever felt Him speaking through me again, I would share it boldly and not hold back. Who knows? Sharing the words He gives us may be the difference between someone spending an eternity in Heaven or in Hell; the difference between a life of hope and a life of discouragement and despair.

As we celebrate Christ’s resurrection this year, I encourage you to listen to God as He speaks to you, and be His mouthpiece as He speaks through you. Easter is what it’s all about, and we need to take every opportunity available to us to share His saving message.

Has God laid on your heart the names of friends and loved ones who need to know Him? Visit www.MyHopeWithBillyGraham.org to learn how you and your church can be a part of a major nationwide proclamation of the Gospel culminating this November. Join the movement today.

1. Patrick says:

Dear Reverend Graham, Happy Easter!

2. Ann says:

Very touched by these comments and wish I could always find the right, soul-gripping words to say to those who either evidently have not trusted in Christ for salvation or are just sadly complacent.

3. GeorgeM says:

What a great story you've shared wit us in this newsletter, Will.Thank you for carrying on the long, spiritual connection established by your dad, and your granddad, the great and Reverend Billy Graham.

4. Bonnie says:

By not speaking out when God told you to, maybe He was preparing for the future He had in plan for you. If the man had snarled back at you, there would have been discouragement. This way, you carry the inciident with you forever, telling others.

5. Norrene says:

Someone perfect had to be my substitute on the cross for THE Sin. Gratitude, endless thanks!

6. Lee says:

I failed to share with my own father when God told me to. He died a month later of an heart attack and I have to live with this regret till this day. Now I never hesitate to share when He told me to.

7. Lisa says:

Will, thanks for sharing your life lesson. I remember all too well when God has given me the words to say and commissioned me to say them and I “chickened out”. I find solace in the fact that he still loves me and I am resolved to do his will.

8. shibuta says:

Billy graham you have been a blessing to many nations even in this Easter through this story of yours and your girl friend in many years ago with the word that God was speaking to you at that and the covenant you made with from that time blesses me

9. joanne says:

I keep praying and asking God for the right words for my family who believe but don't excercise that belief. Maybe I'm not being totally sincere in what I'm asking from God…..I just know that what I ask in HIS name He will honor.

10. Terry says:

Free is never free on this earth… but God gives his love, word and his life for your eternal salvation, if you will follow him. Your freedom for the asking…… now that's free; for his eternal love.