How to Pray for Our Troops This Christmas

By   •   December 18, 2009

We asked chaplains at Fort Leonard Wood and Fort Bragg for ideas on how people can pray specifically for the military this Christmas and year-round. Please join us in lifting up the prayers they submitted.

At Christmas:

• That soldiers will find peace and joy in the fact that God sent His son, Jesus to be our Savior, Redeemer and Shepherd.
  • That deployed military will reach out to one another during Christmas rather than recluse to themselves.
  • That Christian men and women will share their faith with their battle buddies.
  • That families of deployed military will know the peace, joy and love that God offers through Jesus.
  • For families to find reconciliation and forgiveness as they reunite after deployment.
  • For military and families grieving the loss of loved ones in combat.
  • Pray for wounded military recovering from traumatic injuries.

Pray that Soldiers will have Strength:

• To become their best, carry out their tasks and complete the mission.
  • To make tough decisions, and command with morality and wisdom.
  • To serve others and set the example, demonstrating American virtues.

When our Service Members are:

• Training: that they will have strength to develop and build themselves and their units.
  • Deployed and in harm’s way: that God will grant them strength to face the challenges before them (protection and safety).
  • Wounded and recovering: that God will help them to rebuild, find purpose, accept their situation, and love themselves as they are.
  • Returning home: that they will be able to forgive (post traumatic stress disorders).
  • Reintegrating with family: that they will have the strength to live with value, loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity, personal courage.

For Military Families:

• That God will help soldiers to lead and nurture their families as spouses and parents.
  • That they will rely on God’s protection and safety, both at home and when deployed.
  • That God will help them face the challenges before them – separation and hardship.
  • That families will accept returning wounded warriors who may have traumatic brain injuries, disfigurement and dismemberment.

Read about Billy Graham and Pearl Harbor Day »

FEATURED VIDEO: Don’t miss this very touching segment featuring the children of military men and women! (Top left of page.)

Do You Need God’s Love in Your Life?

Follow the Steps to Peace online to learn about Jesus or recommit your life to Him.

1. Helena says:

Thank you for helping us help others.

2. Ruth Ann Fisher says:

Dear Billy Graham, I can’t begin to thank you enough for what you have done in my life and what you have done in so many others. I pray for our troops every single day and have since this war has started, and look forward to your suggestions to help improve my prayers. God Bless you and Yours

3. Mary K. Scott says:

Dear Billy Graham, thank you for your faithful service to our God and our country as a mighty warrior in His army. You are one of the soldiers I pray for often. You have meant so much to our family since we were accepted by our Lord when we finally wised up and enlisted too. Thank you for the words you said over the years,,good words at just the right time to build us up and encourage us and help us grow up. We all watched your recent message to the country, a call to keep on standing as our Lord fights for us. Let the weak say I am strong in the strength of the Lord…I love being in the army with you, Dr. Graham.

4. Mary McCauley says:

I a mother of a Vet who served for 9 years in Iraq and Afghanistan. He is having problems finding work and has a family. He is anxious and scared and sometimes lashes out. He has many people praying for him. He was raised in church and went on mission trips as a teen. Please pray that he remembers who he is in Christ Jesus. Thank you for your prayers and life of Christian service. God Bless you and your family.

5. Linda says:

Thank u for the material,I have family in the military,your guide showed me how to pray for them, thank God

6. Barb Thoma says:

Thank you for this information. Our service men and women and their families need our prayers today and everyday. Thank you for the sacrifices they have made for our country. God bless them all and God Bless America.

7. Marylin Lindgren says:

thank you , I needed something like this

1. Marylin Lindgren says:

thank you so much for the material, have needed something like this for long time

8. Kendy says:

Thank you for this guide. Very helpful!!

9. Icy says:

I need you to pray for me and my family pray for Calvin Boykins too and his family too we are going there somethings with each other we need you”ll help us let he know that he has a very good women on his side and not let people tell he want too do want it come too me I will not giveup on he I just want he thinking better then it is so pray for us Thank you so very much for this

10. Pst Chuma Increase Davidking says:

I appreciate your work for this simple guide to pray for the military, in our country.
    Thanks
    From: PST Chuma Increase Davidking.