God’s Plan for Japan

By   •   October 14, 2010

As I write this letter, I am preparing to travel to Japan for an evangelistic Crusade in Osaka, the country’s second-largest city. Japan is among the most unreached countries on earth, and we need your prayers for this challenging opportunity “to advance the gospel” (Philippians 1:12, NIV).

Although it is one of the world’s 10 largest nations by population, Japan has few churches, and average church attendance is under 100. Christians in Japan have remained a tiny minority for 450 years.

The economy is stagnating after decades of prosperity, and recent studies show that many Japanese people are becoming disillusioned over the emptiness of lives focused on materialism. An attitude of pessimism and hopelessness is increasing, especially among young people. Sadly, in one survey by the Gallup organization, 85 percent of Japanese teens said they wonder why they exist, and more than one in 10 wished they had never been born.

The Bible says we are made in God’s image. We are all unique, and God has a plan for each of our lives. The problem every human being faces is sin that brings separation from God–a separation that results in a deep loneliness, an emptiness, a void.

The churches in Osaka asked for our help in making known the truth of the Gospel that liberates mankind from despair. Christians have come together praying that the light of God’s truth will penetrate the darkness that hovers over the great country of Japan. Pray that the seed that is sown in the hearts of thousands will take root and a great harvest of souls will be won to the kingdom of God.

The Apostle Paul declared that when people receive the Word of God from those who faithfully preach, they accept it “not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God” (1 Thessalonians 2:13). This is the reason we boldly preach the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. It alone has the power to transform hearts of men, women, and children.

After our meetings in Japan we will travel to Latvia, a former Soviet bloc nation on the Baltic Sea, and have the same opportunity there to invest in the lives of those who need Christ. Will you pray with us that Christians will invite friends, neighbors, and loved ones to attend the Crusade?

Pray that the Holy Spirit will pierce hearts by the power of the Gospel. Prayer is the vital step in preparing the way for the work of God. Paul appealed to those who partnered with him in spreading the Gospel, asking them to join him in praying “that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored” (2 Thessalonians 3:1). Pray that hearts will be open to the truth that God loves them and sent His Son to earth to redeem mankind from sin.

While I am in Japan, my son Will is preaching at a Crusade near Montevideo, Uruguay. This is our third large outreach in that country in three years because “a great door for effective work has opened” (1 Corinthians 16:9).

The opportunities God gives us for evangelistic ministry continue to grow, and we are able to keep telling people about the hope found in Jesus because friends like you both pray and give.

We want to make “the most of every opportunity” (Ephesians 5:16). God honors faithfulness, and He will multiply the impact of sacrificial gifts from His people. If you can help us with a donation this month, know that giving to the work of the Lord has an effect that lasts for eternity.

May God bless you in all the things you do that make a difference for His kingdom.

Sincerely,
Franklin Graham
President

Help Spread the Gospel

Your gift can help BGEA spread the Gospel through every available means and to every nation. Donate online today to support Festivals or other ministries.

1. DIANE says:

MY PASTOR'S WIFE IS JAPANESE, SHE IS A WODERFUL CHRISTIAN LADY, TWO OF THEIR SON'S ARE MARRIED TO JAPANESE CHRISTIAN LADIES. JON AND HIS WIFE MAKI ARE WITH SEND INTERNATIONAL, THEY ARE HOME ON FURLOW TO RAISE MORE SUPPORT. THEY HAVE A SON 8 MONTHS NAMED AQUILA, THERE OLDER SON DAVID AND WIFE TOMO ARE STILL RAISING SUPPORT TO GO WITH SEND TO JAPAN. PLEASE PRAY FOR THEM.THE GIRL'S DAD IS A PASTOR IN JAPAN. GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR DEDICATION IN SPREADINGTHE GOSPEL AND CONTINUING THE WORK YOUR DAD STARTED.

2. Leatha says:

I've been praying for your Crusade in Osaka, Japan. I'm praying that many,many Japanese people will have receptive hearts. God bless you and your ministry team!

3. Karen says:

I remember as a teenager, my mother used to watch every Billy Graham Crusade that was shown on TV and asked that I watch too…that was back in the 70's when I was a teenager; quite rebellious and certainly not interested in the things of the Lord. I am now a Christian and I am grateful for the truth that I heard in those broadcasts way back then. Your ministry is truly a hugh blessing to this sinful world and I pray that many more souls will be reached with the Gospel.

4. Carol says:

My daughter was sent to Japan to teach English by a Baptist Mission organization for 2 years. She came home and married a mission major. The both went to Wheaton for master's degrees and are in Hokkaido in language school,but also working with Japanese churches. God bless the Billy Graham scholarship program for their help in sending them, Their heart is to see young Japanese turn their life over to Christ. Our prayers will be with you on this crusade to pierce through the darkness that we saw and felt when we visited Japan.

5. janoy says:

I've been to Japan many times. Japan is ruled by Buddhism and atheism but are loving people. People there are struggling to find their identity as many groups wear costumes and hide in the image of western cultures. I pray that you can open some hearts!

6. Deon says:

My daughter and I visited the Billy Grahem Library this past July and I was so impressed with the peaceful and holy atmosphere that seemed to surround the whole compound. God has placed a special blessing on the Graham family and I enjoyed the TBN interview with your family and was blessed to know even more about the ongoing ministries of Billy Graham's family and their faithfulness to the gospel of Christ in reaching the world with His gift of salvation. I will be praying for God to prepare the hearts of the Japanese people to receive Christ that they may know the love, joy and peace that only our Lord and Savior can give. I will pray for your strength, health and wisdom to accomplish all God has purposed for you to do. BLESSINGS, BLESSINGS AND MORE BLESSINGS!!!

7. Helen says:

Franklin, I am so glad you are going to Japan. My son is married to a Japanese girl who does not know the Lord as her Saviour. They live in Fallon, Nevada but her family live in Japan. I hope her family goes to your crusade. Please pray for my daughter-in-law to become a christian. Also for her family to learn about Jesus. I pray God will give you the words that will convict the Japanese people and they will come to know about Jesus and his love for them.

8. Diana says:

I thank God for your family's precious ministry. Two and a half years ago, my father passed away and October 5 my mother passed away. They were strong supporters of your ministry and Billy and his family greatly influenced them. My dad even attended a tent meeting in Los Angeles. I don't know the date of that meeting. Thank you for your precious ministry. God bless you all.

9. Pirkko says:

Very exciting. My Finnish mother has supported Japan mission most of her life, not seeing much of fruits. I am praying that Holy Spirit will open the eyes of many and that multitudes in Japan will be saved.

10. Jacqueline says:

As the Holy Spirit leads you into a multitude of unbelievers, as the fields are ready for harvest, the love of God our Father through His precious Son, Jesus Christ, will gather their hearts and souls into an abundant harvest of salvation, as the angels in Heaven will be singing choruses of hallelujahs, glory, laud and honor to our King of Kings and Lord of Lords!!God WILLl be with you as you follow His divine itinerary and roadmap, because God never makes a mistake in our journeys with Him and they're always thrilling beyond explanation!