George W. and Laura Bush Make History at Billy Graham Library

By   •   December 20, 2010

Former president George W. Bush and former first lady Laura Bush appeared at the Billy Graham Library December 20 to sign copies of their respective memoirs, Decision Points and Spoken From the Heart.

President and Mrs. Bush were greeted by Franklin Graham when they arrived at BGEA headquarters around 10:30 this morning. Afterward, they had a private lunch and prayer with Billy Graham and Franklin and Jane Graham. Franklin then took the Bushes on a private tour of the Billy Graham Library. Afterward. Mr. Graham joined the former president and first lady briefly in the Library to receive signed copies of both Bushes’ books and pose for photos.

A thousand people braved chilly December weather for their chance to speak to the former first couple, many having arrived before sunrise and some having driven hundreds of miles for the opportunity. Among those in line were a World War II veteran and several active duty military personnel.

“When I sat down write my memoir, I decided to take an nontraditional approach. Rather than providing an exhaustive chronological account of my life and years in office, I wanted to give readers a glimpse of the presidency from my perspective,” said President Bush. “That meant focusing on the most demanding and important part of the job–making decisions.”

One of the decisions points he discusses is the decision he made to follow Christ, and how Billy Graham was greatly used in that decision.

“He made it clear that the path to salvation is through the grace of God,” Bush says of Billy Graham in the first chapter of Decision Points. “And the way to find that grace is to embrace Christ as the risen Lord–the Son of a God so powerful and loving that He gave His only Son to conquer death and defeat sin.”

Topics covered by Bush in his memoir include: his decision to quit drinking at age 40, his run for the United States presidency, the factors involved in choosing his cabinet members, the events of September 11, 2001, the war on terror and the financial crisis.

In Spoken From the Heart, Laura Bush chronicles bright and dark defining moments in her life, from her wedding to “Midland’s most eligible bachelor” to a devastating high school car accident that left a friend dead. Readers can also learn about the seasons of her life as a first lady, both of Texas and the United States, and get a glimpse of her role as a human rights advocate.

Watch Greta Van Susteren’s Interview with Billy Graham on FOX News:

1. Lwitiko says:

My name is Lwitiko Katule from Tanzania, East Africa, I was watching Bill Graham on Trinity Broadcasting Network(TBN) and it was real amazing to see how powerful the Gospel is when Billy Graham is preaching. I am born again, but listening to Billy Graham, something new and special got into my heart. Hallelujah

2. John says:

I grew up a nominal catholic and my father was the same. My wife told me she caught my father watching Billy Graham and he said thats a real christian man. I am a christian now and I have my hope that my father accepted Christ while watching Billy on tv that night. I love him and his son Franklin and have the utmost respect for them and their ministry. May the Lord continue to bless that amazing family. God Bless

3. MARILYN says:

I'm hoping to someday in the not too distant future visit the Billy Graham Library. I used to watch his shows on TV when I was a young married mother of two. They really were inspirational. I pray that Billy will have a chance to preach once again…..At 92 I do not know how he keeps going, but I know the good Lord is watching over him, and so is his beloved wife who awaits his coming so they can be together again. All in God's time. Blessings, Marilyn ST.Helens Oregon

4. Lea says:

Your lights never waver. Praise God for all 3 of you continue His work.My friend N I sang in Dr Graham's choir in STL Mo. in the 60's. We continue to support you and the gift shoeboxes. God bless N give you a successful 2011. Prayers for Dr Graham's continued healthy life. God bless you all.

5. billy says:

Two icons from differant worlds, Billy Graham from the Godly (Spiritual World) and President George W Bush from the earthly world used each others strenths that kept this country uprighte! Since their departure from Our' presence, the world as we known it, will be no more!

6. Randy says:

In 1985 as a lost sinner, I heard Billy Graham on my television. It was as if he were only speaking to me, as what he said described my lost condition, of which I was not proud of. I wanted a way out and Billy presented that way very clearly – only through Jesus! That night, with my eyes full of tears, I was on my knees as Dr. Graham led me in a prayer for my salvation. That night in October 1985 I became a child of God! Thank you Dr. Graham for leading me to Christ!

7. Henry says:

It was Jehovah God's message delivered through Billy Graham some 40 years ago that caused me to accept Jesus as my Lord. Thank you Billy for being faithful to the LORD's calling upon you and thereby planting hundreds of thousands into the Kingdom of our Lord.

8. Marjorie says:

President Bush made a decision to follow Jesus Christ. God knows it is hard to publicly confess the Lord Jesus in a world of nonbelievers. But once we do that we are on solid ground no matter what happens in this world. Thank you Lord Jesus for sending Billy Graham to us to keep the reall message front and center in our lives. Christmas is all about JESUS.