Franklin Graham: Duck Dynasty and the Ducking Church

By   •   January 3, 2014

robertson

I appreciate the Robertson family’s strong commitment to biblical principles and their refusal to back down under intense media pressure over Phil Robertson’s comments in a recent interview. As the Robertson controversy winds down—at least for now—I have been amazed at how many churches have apparently “ducked” out on the issue (sin). Some were even quick to condemn Phil Robertson.

If we Christians banded together and took a stand, perhaps we wouldn’t be losing so much ground in what the media is calling the “cultural war.” However, it is not a cultural war—it is a religious war against Christians and the biblical truths we stand for. Some churches have fallen into the trap of being politically correct, under the disguise of tolerance.

God is not “politically correct,” and He is certainly not tolerant of sin. The Bible tells us that He is going to judge all sin one day; and anyone who is not found under the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ, will face an eternity in hell separated from God. Scripture says, “So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come forth, separate the wicked from among the just, and cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth” (Matthew 13:49-50). But today God is willing to forgive anyone who truly repents (is willing to turn from their sin), asks for His forgiveness, and believes on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ (“For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved” Romans 10:13).

Franklin Graham Signature

Franklin Graham

1. Dan Weber says:

If we cannot stand for Christ now, while it is so easy to do so, will we stand for Him later when doing so may have serious consequences? Wake up! It isn’t going to happen. So take a stand now, keep taking a stand, and be the salt and light you have been called to be!

2. just cheryl says:

Just had a tought that I want to pass along and I hope gets read: what would happen if every church in a city were aligned to a book of scriptures each month, teaching the same scriptures and the Christians in that city would be having the same thoughts, the same purpose each week? Could this minisrty be influential in getting ministers in Charlotte to agree to a book of the bible and a set of verses to focus on? Just a thought. Gonna try to pass the idea around in hopes that it will help us remember our single mission…and maybe it will bring churches together.

1. Jenifer says:

Cheryl, God bless you for your suggestion. United in Christ, the Church could move mountains!!

3. Larry Krause says:

I Agree that if all churches would band together we could defeat this evil sweeping across our nation. My prayer is for unity of all pastors and congregations under the name of Jesus. People rise up and seek first the kingdom of God not political correctness.

4. Charlotte Mattucci says:

I am a Christian and I strongly agree we need to stand by Gods word. And also walk the walk be expects us to! And as Christian I feel we all need to stand on his word!!!! God Bless!!!

5. david campbell says:

by the way I think the term for those churches that duck the issue of sin or even play it down is “seeker friendly” they tend to avoid issues like sin and hell so their numbers will grow, but they grow without ever telling the “whole” Bible.

6. Jerry Qualls says:

I am very thankful for the faith and steadfastness of Billy and Frank Graham. Both are a blessing and a God send to this entire world on behalf of the Lord Jesus.

7. PASTOR LOWELL MILLER: MUNCIE IN says:

AMEN, Christians need to stand together for the TRUTH which is the BIBLE!!!!!

8. melinda amburn says:

I think this is very good that he has a strong faith and is willing to stay with what he belives and not back down from it that is what all of us christians need to do nowdays is stay strong in the Lord during these times.

9. Marie Sanders says:

I wonder just how many true Christians do we have . people need to start at the beginning of our Bible because it is the word of God and maybe they would not be so easy to cut down a person who has the right to follow the word of God . People you are wrong in every way . God Bless you and keep you strong in your beliefs .

10. Debbie says:

I am thankful to have God’s word to guide me to truth and wisdom. 2nd Timmothy 3:16 says, All scripture is God Breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work…We are to obey the word and try and teach others also. It is not judgemental to quote God’s holy scriptures.