Fighting for the Souls of Canada’s Youth

By   •   August 2, 2010

As Franklin Graham continues to preach the Gospel across Western Canada this month, his heart will be full of compassion for the lost.

He’ll also feel a stirring in his self-described fighting spirit. “I am a fighter,” says Graham. “I am going to fight for every soul that I can. I am going to fight for every kid that I can.”

On Aug. 7, Graham fought the good fight in the Fraser Valley area of British Columbia, outside of Vancouver, as part of Rock the River Tour West. Now the summer concert series travels to Calgary (Aug. 21) and Edmonton (Aug. 28).

In each city, Graham will be armed and ready with the power of the Gospel. “When I preach,” says Graham, “I preach the Gospel. Paul said, ‘I am not ashamed of the Gospel for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes.’ The Gospel is God’s power. When you preach the Gospel, God uses that to pierce the hearts of those He is calling. We’ll pray that there is a great harvest of young people this year who will give their hearts to Christ.”

The purpose of the Rock the River Tour is to reach kids who would never go to church—”kids who have no home life and no hope whatsoever,” Graham explains. This is about reaching out to a generation that doesn’t know God.

“When I was growing up,” he continues, “many people were familiar with church. They went to church. But today, so many people have turned their backs on God. We’ve become such a secular society and we’ve taken God out of government. We’ve taken God out of our schools. Kids today—many of them know nothing about God whatsoever. So if we don’t reach them, we’ll lose them.”

Graham says he wants these kids to know that God loves them. “I want them to know that Jesus Christ died for their sins and was buried and rose to life. If they are willing simply by faith to believe on His name and invite Him into their hearts, not only will God forgive them and cleanse them, but they can have a whole new life, a whole new beginning with the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Would YOU like a new beginning with Jesus Christ?
Follow the Steps to Peace here »

Along with the power of the Gospel, music, prayer and the support of local churches are other key parts of the Rock the River arsenal.

“Local churches will bring the kids,” says Graham. “I am asking Christians kids to reach out and invite their lost friends to come with them. Because of the quality of bands that we’re bringing, it will attract these lost kids. They will see the quality of the music and they’ll say, ‘Cool, I will come.’

“We are doing all that we can to fight for another generation,” he adds. “God has called us to do it. He’ll give us the resources, but He always gives the resources through Christian men and women, churches who have been praying, churches who believe in evangelism. We’re taking evangelism into Western Canada and it’s tough ground. So we need people to pray for us and stand beside us and support us financially.”

Help Us Bring the Gospel to a Hurting Generation

Youth are starved for the hope of the Gospel. You can help bring them the love of Christ by donating to Rock the River West.

Although Graham mentioned the ground is tough, it won’t deter him. In fact, he says, “I like tough places. We go to tough places. We need to preach the Gospel. The Gospel is God’s power for salvation. This generation—God loves them. He cares for them. But they don’t know Him. They know nothing about Him.”

The most important weapon is prayer, Graham reiterates. “We need people to pray. Pray for us as we go in the month of August. Next weekend we’ll be in Calgary. We’re going to be in Edmonton. This is going to be a tough time. There is going to be a battle that will be waged. It is a battle for the souls of men and women, of boys and girls there in Western Canada. We need people to back us with your prayers as we go.”

1. faye says:

May GOD bless your every effort as you wholy lean on Jesus name. I will be praying for the Rock The River.

2. James says:

Heavenly Father, I pray for all the prayers that are being lifted up to you, that they shall be fullfilled according to your will. For it is written: seek Me and my righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you. May all peoples on the face of the earth today and forever more praise the name of the Lord. Glorifying him who created the Heavens and the Earth. May the harvest of souls come soon. For the time is near when our Lord and Savior will come back for his people. To recieve them unto Himself. In Jesus name. Amen! Acts 4:12 Are you Ready?

3. Donna says:

It's after 9 p.m. EST, and I'm praying a revival is happening right now in Your name, Dear Jesus. Bring the harvest in Canada. Amen.

4. Tim says:

GLORY TO GOD! Heavenly Father we all come in agreement that your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. We pray for a stirring in the hearts of every man, woman, and child upon the earth. May they come to know Jesus Christ as thier Lord and Savior and walk in his ways and his righteousness. In Jesus name we Pray. Amen!

5. Dorothy says:

Thank you, Lord for the B.G.E.A. I came to a personal relationship with Jesus at Billy Graham's Crusade in Toronto in the early 50's. I pray that many young people will give their hearts to the Lord at this wonderful festival under Franklin. Lord, I ask your blessing on this wonderful man of God. Give him health and strength for the work he is doing for the Kingdom of God.

6. Billy says:

BLESSINGS! I am praying for the success of this evangelistic event for the youth. God bless you Pastor Franklin. Count me as your partner in prayers… God bless you more.

7. Jeanne says:

I just returned from Yellowstone National Park where there were many young Western Canadians. I will pray for God's power on your ministry to them, Franklin. God Bless You!

8. Betty says:

I pray that God will bless your outreach ministry as you try to reach lost souls. I will pray for that to happen.

9. Tim says:

We'll be praying for you, all of God's team . . .As we pray for the lost, let us take up honest worship, and agape for one another; that we might be true and good examples for them who are being saved; those joining Christ with us; honestly seeking God's manifest presence leading us in the moment and in the season, to humbly and faithfully care for one another; this is “eternity prep”; God has given us the “ministry of reconciliation” by His very Son; all this is about Holy LOVE like we've never known.

10. may God shower His rain says:

May God shower His rain of mercy, hope and love. May His power be revealed and scores turn their hearts to Jesus. We join hands for the souls of the men/women and child in every city that Franklin will visit….we cast down every power and pull down strongholds in Jesus mighty Name. May God reign supreme in the Name of HIs Son Jesus, Amen.