Encouragement for the Unemployed

By   •   August 27, 2010   •   Topics: ,

Many people struggle with feeling useless and hopeless after a job loss–especially an extended one. But, as Mr. Graham says, “God has not forgotten you. He knows all about you, and He cares about you and wants to help you.”

Read more from Mr. Graham:

I urge you to turn to Him and commit this problem–and your whole life–into Christ’s hands. Right now you may be wondering if God loves you–but He does, and the proof is that He was willing to send His only Son into the world to die for you.

One of the Bible’s greatest promises is found in Psalm 34:18: “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Pause right now and thank Him for this truth, and for His love for you.

Then ask God to show you the next step He wants you to take. Perhaps He wants you to renew your search for a job; perhaps He wants you to enroll in a job retraining program. Or perhaps He wants you to use the time you have right now to help others–volunteering in a local food bank, for example, or working in a community program through your church.

In addition, let this be a time when you grow closer to your family–and to God. In other words, see this time not only as a problem, but also as an opportunity–an opportunity to grow in your relationships with others and with God. If you do, once this time of unemployment is over you’ll be able to look back and thank God for being with you, even in the midst of life’s hard times.

Jesus does know what you are going through. He knew what it was to be poor, and even homeless. On one occasion, He said, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head” (Luke 9:58).

He understands your fears and your heartaches, because He experienced them in His own life. And that’s why you can turn to Him for the strength you need to face the future with hope.

Do YOU long to know the love of your Heavenly Father?

Follow the Step to Peace online to learn more.

1. Tasha says:

I have been seeking God through prayer for a couple of years now to help me find a job to take care of my family and I am still without a job. My daughter graduated high school went to college and she has no job what is the problem.

2. Adesola says:

It's very difficult to keep believing and trusting when you've been out of work for more than a year.I owe a lot of money and I've fasted prayed,confessed,all the stuff you are counselled to do.I'm in a dark place now and I don't know what to do

3. Kevin says:

I've already prayed for guidance to get out of unemployment. The answer to the prayer has been total silence. That's a clear sign that God wants some people to be unemployed and there is no escape.

4. Jerrin says:

Thank You for the encouraging words. I will keep my Hope on Lord

5. Nelly says:

“Though the fig tree may not blossom,nor fruit be on the vines…Yet I WILL REJOICE. IN THE LORD! The Lord is my strength..” (Hab.3:17-19) In this, God wants a solid assurance that we are His . Despite the odds,do we still love and believe Him?

6. Syd says:

God has a plan for us, one that will prosperous us and not harm us; a plan to give us hope and a future. When I read these stories, I have some similarities. I've been unemployed for about four months, and now that we're heading towards December, I wonder how many companies or organizations are hiring for the new year. I trust that God has got it all under control, yet if I was being honest, I'd be the first to admit that sometimes that cloud of doubt creeps over me. Doubt that there will be work for me, doubt that it will work out. I look for “survivor” stories: people who have gone through job loss and have come out of the tunnel. I look for stories that encourage me, stories that acknowledge my situation, and stories that I can relate to. I have no idea how this will work out. There are occasions of excitement to see where God will take me, but then there are tangible moments of panic and anxiety about how it might not turn out. I'm praying for more strength, more faith for this journey.

7. Steve says:

Thank everyone for sharing, be anxious for nothing, and God is with all us unemployed people who are not experiencing the reward of our labor financially, Yet! However, after a few months of unemployment, I do believe Mr. Graham has the right idea to enjoy the gift of time off work to develop and invest ourselves into home and family….what a pity if after we find work, we look back on these days at the opportunity we lost. We must choose today to work, and God will bless us with the privilege of enjoying all of our fruits.

8. Betty says:

I took a job helping a family with their dying father.When he passed they gave me two weeks.In the meen time I got another job offer,so that was a blessing.So this family decided they wanted me to continue caring for their mother but they only wanted me for 2 hours a day.I told them it wouldnt pay me to except.so they agreed 30 hrs. a week .so they agreed to 30 hrs.now they say they dont need me for these many days.I had a gut feeling not to take trhis job.im confused.Now im going to be jobless.I shouild have taken the other job.I should have listened to my gut feeling.It might have been the lord telling me not to keep this job.I feel a little depressed.

9. Nathan says:

I can't answer your questions, but….. I love you and I will pray for you! I do not who or where you are but never give up hope! Jesus was beaten, humiliated and cursed and yet he said,”Father for give them…..” Stay strong, surround yourself with other believers and my personal suggestion, tell SEVERAL Christian friends EXACTLY what you just typed. Surrender all and God bless you! NEA

10. Laurie says:

My Husband has been out of a job for over a year…I can't tell you what a true blessing it has been. When I stop and look at the circumstances I fear and get sad… that is when I take my eyes off Jesus…. but when I keep my eyes on Jesus and know that God has a wonderful plan for his life and our life, the hope just bubbles up inside and I know I can trust God through the good and the bad. He is God! He is in control! I do think that we have to do our part and God will do his…. so I have gotten anxious when I don't see my husband doing his best to find a job…..but God has worked in my husbands life and he has been in a men's bible study for a year, he reads his bible more than ever, he is so eager to help and be apart of his family and get our home in order and have time to help friends. So I see God working and changing him and growing him up in Christ… God has changed me, too. Satan would love us to focus on what we don't have…. but God has provided more than we could ever ask for and I choose to stand on his promises and believe the awesome Job will come for my husband…maybe not what we think, but even better! Thank you King of Kings and Lord of Lords!