Encouragement for the Unemployed

By   •   August 27, 2010   •   Topics: ,

Many people struggle with feeling useless and hopeless after a job loss–especially an extended one. But, as Mr. Graham says, “God has not forgotten you. He knows all about you, and He cares about you and wants to help you.”

Read more from Mr. Graham:

I urge you to turn to Him and commit this problem–and your whole life–into Christ’s hands. Right now you may be wondering if God loves you–but He does, and the proof is that He was willing to send His only Son into the world to die for you.

One of the Bible’s greatest promises is found in Psalm 34:18: “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Pause right now and thank Him for this truth, and for His love for you.

Then ask God to show you the next step He wants you to take. Perhaps He wants you to renew your search for a job; perhaps He wants you to enroll in a job retraining program. Or perhaps He wants you to use the time you have right now to help others–volunteering in a local food bank, for example, or working in a community program through your church.

In addition, let this be a time when you grow closer to your family–and to God. In other words, see this time not only as a problem, but also as an opportunity–an opportunity to grow in your relationships with others and with God. If you do, once this time of unemployment is over you’ll be able to look back and thank God for being with you, even in the midst of life’s hard times.

Jesus does know what you are going through. He knew what it was to be poor, and even homeless. On one occasion, He said, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head” (Luke 9:58).

He understands your fears and your heartaches, because He experienced them in His own life. And that’s why you can turn to Him for the strength you need to face the future with hope.

Do YOU long to know the love of your Heavenly Father?

Follow the Step to Peace online to learn more.

1. Cristy says:

I have been unemployed since February 2009. There were times that negative thoughts enter my mind and disappointment starts to creep in. I have learned that these are not God's will for me because His plans are to give me hope and a future. Everytime these thoughts come into my mind I dismiss it in Jesus name and start to focus on God's promises. Right now church activities are occupying my time. I continue to send applications and I believe that the right job for me is being prepared by my Savior, my Lord and my King.

2. Marie A-F says:

Jesus is the answer – no matter what are circumstances are – Remember what He had to endure! He did NOT have to go thru such pain and suffering for us – HE chose to so that we could have everlasting life and be with HIM thruout eternity. It was NOT fair that HE suffer in life – and it is NOT God who causes pain and disappointment but we are in a sin-cursed world dating back to Adam. God created a perfect Paradise but Adam sined against God when he disobeyed God's command thereby causing a sin-cursed world for all those who were born after that. Remember what Jesus said, “In this world you will have tribulations, BUT, be of good cheer, I have overcome the world and go to prepare a place for you.” Trials will come in this world but the good news is that we have Jesus to hold us up and comfort us and directi to unto a new path, IN HIS TIME….I hope that has encouraged you! Trust HIM – My times are in YOUR hands.

3. Belinda says:

We have to trust God for God is able to do exceeding and abundantly above all that we ask or even think. We must put our lives into the Lord's hands and trust him. For it is impossible to please God without faith. We need to rely on the word of God and speak it out! God is faithful to those that are faithful to him. The Lord wants good things for you. Remember Jeremiah 29:11 I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord; thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you an expected end. I believe our latter end shall be greater than the beginning. God loves you so much that he sent his only begotten son, that whosover believeth in him shall not perish but have eternal life, just ask Jesus to come into your heart and forgive you for your sins and go before you and he will. Jesus will never leave us nor forsake us. Jesus loves you.

4. Daniel says:

Greg, like you, I don't have a full-time job. I remember when I separated from my ex-wife and lost my full-time job the same year. I encourage you to listen to the song “Safe” by Wickham in Youtube.com. The lyrics are very easy to understand. But the music makes a big difference. Most of all, God protected my life. Believe me..there are times when keeping our own lives intact becomes more important than having a job. When you don't have a job, the extra time you have is the time you need to spend with God. Just like in my situation, God is going to maintain you financially. You just need to put God first.

5. Diane says:

I lost my job of 20 years, one year ago. I am still unemployed, but taking classes. I also am thinking of volunteering at Hospice, while I have time. I get disgouraged, but I have the faith that My God will open a door for me. I just can't imagine how horrible it would be, in these times, if I did not know the Lord.

6. Tim says:

I too have been unemployed for well over a year. Something recently has show promise but it is well below what I was doing and might not be enough but I will work at it as hard as I can because God has gotten me this far. There is no explainable reason why I have made it this far other than the work of the Lord. God's plans are greater than us all and everything that happens is for His purpose, not ours. We are to “Give thanks in all circumstances” – just keep trusting the Lord and everything we go through is part of his plan and can only bring us closer to Him.

7. Grace says:

I have been unemployed since February of 2009. I am a single parent of a teenager who is in her last years of high school. I have had many other setbacks and trials through this time. My daughter has lost all respect for me because I can't find a job. Because I worked for a non-profit organization that was exempt from paying into the federal unemployment tax act, I have not had income for almost a year. I have been living off of my retirement account and am about to hit bottom. I have had no health insurance, there is no child support or any other streams of income. The only stream is what I generate. I have searched for high level and mid level positions. I have strategically searched for work putting in 40 hours per day. I have no family to fall back on but I have our Lord and am faithful to him. If He has not opened the doors for me it is for a reason because He has plans to prosper me and not to harm me. I know that whatever he takes me through he will take me out of. I have learned a tremendous amount in this period of turbulence that I would not change for anything. I have grown emotionally, spiritually and my relationship with God has continued to grow. He is helping you NOW in your unemployment and financial situation. He has not left you. It is hard but know that God is never early, He's never late but He is ALWAYS on time. He will be on time with the perfect job that He has created for you. Trust him. After almost a year OF ZERO income,

8. cindy says:

i am in tears at this moment because i was just online looking for employment when all of a sudden my computer went window crazy, then I looked at my e-mail inbox and saw the BGEA newsletter with this headline. God is Righteous! Thank you,

9. Melba says:

For so many that are going through this feeling of hopelessness and fear, know that many are praying for the God of ALL comfort to come in such a real and personal way into your life, that you trust and see Him in a whole new way. The God Who Cares personally for your specific situation…. No matter how hopeless outward circumstances are, do not give into the 'feelings' of total despair. God IS Faithful and God IS Good. Now may be the very time in your life that the God of All Hope and Comfort wants to meet you in such a personal way, as you trust in Him, that you will truly look back on this hard time and give Him thanks. 1st Cor. 10:13 “…..But God……”

10. Greg says:

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I have been unemployed for so long that sometimes I feel like giving up on hope. Sometimes I just don't want to hope because I'm afraid the dissappointment will keep breaking my heart. I'm broken, discouraged, and afraid to hope again. Why does a loving God want his children to go through such heart ache? Why doesn't an all powerful God just destroy Satan once and for all time? Why doesn't a loving and all powerful God rescue us? I know he sent his son to die for my sins and be my savior, but how is that going to help me NOW in my uemployment and financial situation?