Billy Graham’s My Answer

By   •   March 12, 2014

sad woman

Q:

Does God sometimes test our faith by letting hard times happen to us? If so, why does He do it? Doesn’t He already know whether or not our faith is genuine?

A:

Sometimes God does test our faith, just as He tested the faith of the ancient Israelites by allowing them to go through hard times in the wilderness, “in order to know what was in your heart” (Deuteronomy 8:2).

Remember: If our faith is weak, it may not be obvious when life is going smoothly and we aren’t challenged in any way. But when hard times come, a weak faith will be revealed for what it really is: shallow and unable to help us through life’s difficulties. It may be anything: an unexpected illness, the death of a loved one, the loss of our job, or even a friend who turns against us. But when hard times happen, the true nature of our faith will be revealed.

But God doesn’t test us because He doesn’t know how strong we are.

Instead, He tests us because we don’t know how strong we are — and we’ll only realize it when times of testing come. The psalmist prayed, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts” (Psalm 139:23).

None of us likes to go through hard times (and God isn’t necessarily behind them, even if He does allow them). But God can use them to show us our weaknesses. And when that happens, we need to ask God to help our faith grow. Testing should make us spiritually stronger — and it will as we turn it over to God. The Bible says, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials … so that you may be mature and complete” (James 1:2, 4).

Billy Graham’s Daily Devotion: Working Together For Good

1. Tirezz Walker says:

Amen! God has shown me that I can work on becoming more stronger in the area of. Obedience, Confidence in who god made me to be.and to work on financial stability. I thank god for his Grace and Mercy.
    God is my joy

2. Avena Stanley says:

Good morning,
    I am a student in theology working on my bachelor’s degree. I really appreaciate these words shared by Billy Graham. I think they are so profound to help to re-inforce christian’s faith when serious life conditions happen and let them know that the purpose of God in all this is to help us knowing what our faith in God really is.

3. Aaron Thomas says:

I lost my beloved cousin on 22 dec 2012. Later got sick i thougt couldn celebrate xmass bcoz the pain has bn too strong

4. Robert Wooten says:

God bless you all at BGEA and Samaritans purse ……May God uphold you with His mighty hand is our prayer for you. Gods speed Franklin and Will………..and all our love to your father. AMEN!!!!!

5. Danielle Fair says:

Thank you for that message,.

6. lmcfalls1 says:

Amen

7. Brenda Stewart says:

I truly enjoy reading the question and answer. I fully believe there is no man on earth as close as being God as Billy Graham is. He and his wife Ruth are so near and dear to my heart. I have been to the Billy Graham Cove and would love to the the people in the world how wonderful and close to God you feel when being present at the Cove.
    I have also visited the Billy Graham Library and it as well is a wonderful place. I love all the history of Billy and Ruth you learn being there.
    I was at the Cove when Billy was there and cannot put into words how I felt being that close to him. I am sure what I have said has been said my millions but it is a blessing to me to know I can write this and just maybe Billy will get to read it.

8. Frederick Mundle says:

Inexplicable pain of undiagnosable cause does truly test one’s faith. I do believe that the enemy wants us to curse God. But I have found that after three years of often debilitating pain God has provided short but frequent bouts of pain-free or pain-manageable time. I have come to rely on His response to my pleas for relief. When a reprieve comes, I do know whom I must thank. In the meantime I await His deliverance via remedy or redemption. Thank you for your ministry.

9. Joy says:

“For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God sent not his son into the world to condemn the world but that the world through him might be saved.”"May God bless us everyone. in Jesus name, Amen.” Thankyou.

10. Warren Gunda says:

That’s a powerful message delivered in the typical Billy Graham style, simple and to the point!