Billy Graham’s My Answer

By   •   March 12, 2014

sad woman

Q:

Does God sometimes test our faith by letting hard times happen to us? If so, why does He do it? Doesn’t He already know whether or not our faith is genuine?

A:

Sometimes God does test our faith, just as He tested the faith of the ancient Israelites by allowing them to go through hard times in the wilderness, “in order to know what was in your heart” (Deuteronomy 8:2).

Remember: If our faith is weak, it may not be obvious when life is going smoothly and we aren’t challenged in any way. But when hard times come, a weak faith will be revealed for what it really is: shallow and unable to help us through life’s difficulties. It may be anything: an unexpected illness, the death of a loved one, the loss of our job, or even a friend who turns against us. But when hard times happen, the true nature of our faith will be revealed.

But God doesn’t test us because He doesn’t know how strong we are.

Instead, He tests us because we don’t know how strong we are — and we’ll only realize it when times of testing come. The psalmist prayed, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts” (Psalm 139:23).

None of us likes to go through hard times (and God isn’t necessarily behind them, even if He does allow them). But God can use them to show us our weaknesses. And when that happens, we need to ask God to help our faith grow. Testing should make us spiritually stronger — and it will as we turn it over to God. The Bible says, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials … so that you may be mature and complete” (James 1:2, 4).

Billy Graham’s Daily Devotion: Working Together For Good

1. Rev. Henry Adjei Anyetei says:

All glory and honor to the Lord our God 4 the life of Papa Billy. Today’s Q and A was a timely blessing 4 my family n I so was the devotional…Ps.91:1-2

2. kembabaz Annah says:

some times i used to think that may be GOD has forgotten me because of the hard ships and trials that happens to me in life but thanks i have laenrt that its one way of knowing my weakness

3. teresa kennedy says:

PRAISE GOD FOR THIS MINISTRY, THANK YOU JESUS

4. Avis says:

I have always enjoyed listening and studying with Billy Graham Ministries. Without Christ, I am nothing; with Christ I can do all things which He would have me do.

5. Pat Mangum says:

The death of.my spouse has gutted me, and even now a month later l still have more anguish than l ever thought was possible to endure, BUT my GOD is still God, a loving and more than able to sustain me…

6. Andrew Cox says:

Thank you for this message. Within the last four years I have had some difficult times, but it’s been amazing because God was by my side the whole time and help me. I have gotten closer with God then I ever have and all I want to do is tall about the great things he has done. So I decided to look into school for Ministry/Evangelist. I have been blessed with a amazing wife and for kids so timing and finances makes it more difficult, so at this time in just trying to read about with prayer and see what happens.

Can you please pray for me. I’ve been dealing with a lot of stress and I’ve been praying and reading to trying and get through this. The closer my relationship has gotten with Christ the more distant friends and family became

1. Andrew Cox says:

With this amount of stress it has affected me at work and my patients with my kids.
      I don’t feel I have anyone in my life but my wife and kids and God and I’m struggling.
      Please pray for me.

2. CUE says:

Andrew, you have come too far to give up now. You have a family that loves you and God loves you even more. Just trust God and focus on the positives in your life and God will give you strength to get through it all…His Grace is sufficient for us. I know how you feel, being alienated because of your relationship with Christ. I have been there and still is, but I have made up my mind to serve God and stand tall and keep trusting Him, because without Christ I am nothing. Read Mathew 24 and see that what you are experiencing is part of endtime as “people will be lover of themselves” but only those that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. Your first Minsitry is your family and as such serve God by being all you can to your family and the rest will follow in due time.

3. CUE says:

You are definitely in my prayers!

7. Joanne Lomas says:

Back in 1963 I accepted , & rededicated my life to Christ, @ a Billy Graham crusade. I can honestly say ,my life has never been the same.Jesus has proven to me, that with out Him, I am nothing, but with Him, “I can do all things”.Thank you Billy Graham,& thank You Franklin, for carrying the torch. “He must increase, but I must decrease”.

8. Jilian says:

Heavenly father I praise You & THANK YOU. Father forgive all my sins. I know You love me & my daughter definitely joy, peace, love & happiness will come to my home by YOUR grace. I have strong faith in YOU that my cruel & adulterous husband’s heart will be changed & 18 years of my marriage life will be restored. Father you know he takes all my earnings.Father You know the pain & sorrow. Hide identity. IJN Amen.

9. Jim Dunaway says:

I always pray for God’s guidance when my faith is tested.

10. dorothyvanderwaal says:

How I thank God for you, Billy. For all the years of your obedience and service to Him. God continue to bless and keep you close in His care. God bless your ministry and it’s future in the world. God bless our nation and its’ people to awaken to Him and all that He has planned for those who love Him.