Billy Graham’s My Answer

By   •   March 12, 2014

sad woman

Q:

Does God sometimes test our faith by letting hard times happen to us? If so, why does He do it? Doesn’t He already know whether or not our faith is genuine?

A:

Sometimes God does test our faith, just as He tested the faith of the ancient Israelites by allowing them to go through hard times in the wilderness, “in order to know what was in your heart” (Deuteronomy 8:2).

Remember: If our faith is weak, it may not be obvious when life is going smoothly and we aren’t challenged in any way. But when hard times come, a weak faith will be revealed for what it really is: shallow and unable to help us through life’s difficulties. It may be anything: an unexpected illness, the death of a loved one, the loss of our job, or even a friend who turns against us. But when hard times happen, the true nature of our faith will be revealed.

But God doesn’t test us because He doesn’t know how strong we are.

Instead, He tests us because we don’t know how strong we are — and we’ll only realize it when times of testing come. The psalmist prayed, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts” (Psalm 139:23).

None of us likes to go through hard times (and God isn’t necessarily behind them, even if He does allow them). But God can use them to show us our weaknesses. And when that happens, we need to ask God to help our faith grow. Testing should make us spiritually stronger — and it will as we turn it over to God. The Bible says, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials … so that you may be mature and complete” (James 1:2, 4).

Billy Graham’s Daily Devotion: Working Together For Good

1. Steve Newell says:

Thank you for these words Reverend Graham. They really help me. I like to think I have strong faith, but I know it needs to be stronger. Matt Cuddy I just prayed for you. You have a lot to live for. Remember that and keep praying to God for healing, strength, comfort, and peace. God Bless you! Amen!

2. Paulette says:

I believe in the comments above. I have been through MANY trials that hit me where I hurt, losing or not finding a job so I can not pay my bills….and I hate not being able to pay my bills. I struggle waiting and trusting on Him and eventually all works out but I still do not understand why I have these trials so often and so many times. I just want peace in my life, time to serve Him and financially stable, not rich, just comfort. Is that wrong???

3. Linda Mueller says:

Psalms 139:23; helped me. Search me, O God, and know my heart and help me to trust you with the issues I have. This helped me so much to realize how I needed to pray for my self to help me to be gentle in talking to others no matter what issues arise, that I will be that gentle Christian to others and they will know me by the love of God shining through me.

4. Carolyn Ivey says:

Your ministry is a great ministry!
    Keep me in prayer.
    God Bless You All.

5. Laura says:

I would love to get anything from Billy Graham’s ministry.Thank You!

6. Elizabeth says:

This message seems to be the answer I need for what I have been experiencing the last couple of months. Thank you.

7. Rene Ciccio says:

We are using The Son of God for our Bible study every Tuesday night. It is a great Book and can hardly wait for our next lesson On Tuesday night. The Book means so much to me and my husband, son and the rest of our church family.

8. Anna Frank says:

My Father God allows negative things into our lives to draw us more fully to walk with Him. Keep your eyes on Jesus and pray with all your might.

9. Robert L Casey Sr says:

I was in the Choir when you held a Crusade in Greensboro, NC in the 50’s with
    Cliff Barrows as the Director. Now Cliff Barrows is working with my daughter and
    son-in-law to help them thru the loss of their son, John R. Clinton, who was 19
    years old and had a boating accident.
    Thank the Lord for such loving and caring Christians like you and Cliff Barrows