Billy Graham’s Letter to Iran’s President

By   •   September 24, 2013

saeed

President Hassan Rouhani

Islamic Republic of Iran

Sept. 23, 2013

Dear President Rouhani,

I have been watching with great concern about the case of Pastor Saeed Abedini, an American citizen who is currently a prisoner in your country. He was in Iran working to build an orphanage when he was arrested and later sentenced to eight years in prison. His situation has been receiving an increasingly high level of attention in the United States. Unfortunately this publicity has been entirely negative for Iran, with the belief that the primary reason for Pastor Abedini’s imprisonment was because of his Christian faith.

As you may know, as a religious leader I have often spoken (both publicly and also privately with our national leadership) about the need for greater understanding and peace among the nations of the world. As you come to the United States this week for the U.N. General Assembly in New York, it is my sincere hope that ways may be found to reduce the current tensions between the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran.

The announcement on Monday that your country has freed 80 political prisoners is very encouraging. I fear, however, that the current publicity surrounding the continued imprisonment of Pastor Abedini, an American citizen, may further harm the already fragile relationship that presently exists between our two nations.

On September 26, the one-year anniversary of Pastor Abedini’s imprisonment, thousands will attend prayer vigils in more than 70 U.S. cities, calling on your country to release this husband, father and servant of God. I join them by respectfully asking you to release Pastor Saeed Abedini from prison. Such an action would, I believe, have a positive impact in our nation, and might well be perceived by our leadership as a significant step in reducing tensions.

Respectfully yours,

Billy Graham

Click here to see the original letter.

Mr. Graham’s letter is read into the Congressional Record on September 26, 2013

1. Vicki Gann says:

Dear Father, This is your daughter asking you to release one of your sons from bondage, so others may know your power and continue to glorify your name, protect Him and guide Him to safety. In this I pray in your Son's name, Jesus Christ

2. Kathy says:

I thank you Lord in advance for the release of our brother in Christ, Pastor Abedini. I also thank you for the new found Christians through this experience. You said you will never leave nor forsake us. Help Pastor Abedini continue to trust you.

3. ANIEFIOK says:

We join in praying that GOD by HIS Mighty Power will touch the hearts of the leadership of Iran to release this servant of the MOST HIGH in JESUS name

4. Mary says:

Thank you Dr Graham for your letter on behalf of Pastor Saeed, I pray he will soon be released from prison and home with his wife and children. What a powerful testimony he has been. Praise The Lord.

5. Rotimi William Ogunleye says:

I pray God will touch d heart of d people of Iran to accept christ as their personal Lord and saviour.

6. Marla says:

Thank you Dr. Graham for writing this letter. I pray their new President will have a change of heart and release Pastor Saeed. I pray in agreement that he will do that in Jesus Christ's name.

7. Edith says:

I pray God's blessing on you for all that you have done to win souls for Christ, the life and example you and Ruth have been for all to see, and for the beautiful and wonderful Christian family you have who are following the example of their parents.

8. Manase.F says:

I am encouraged and being strengthened by the courage and faith of Pastor Abedini. I stand together with Dr Billy Graham and the many men and women of faith in prayer for your safe return home. Blessings..

9. Karen says:

He that the Son has set free is free indeed. Lord, may this become a reality in the physical realm also as Pastor Abedini finally comes home. Thank you.

10. ENOCH, ACCRA says: