Billy Graham’s Letter to Iran’s President

By   •   September 24, 2013

saeed

President Hassan Rouhani

Islamic Republic of Iran

Sept. 23, 2013

Dear President Rouhani,

I have been watching with great concern about the case of Pastor Saeed Abedini, an American citizen who is currently a prisoner in your country. He was in Iran working to build an orphanage when he was arrested and later sentenced to eight years in prison. His situation has been receiving an increasingly high level of attention in the United States. Unfortunately this publicity has been entirely negative for Iran, with the belief that the primary reason for Pastor Abedini’s imprisonment was because of his Christian faith.

As you may know, as a religious leader I have often spoken (both publicly and also privately with our national leadership) about the need for greater understanding and peace among the nations of the world. As you come to the United States this week for the U.N. General Assembly in New York, it is my sincere hope that ways may be found to reduce the current tensions between the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran.

The announcement on Monday that your country has freed 80 political prisoners is very encouraging. I fear, however, that the current publicity surrounding the continued imprisonment of Pastor Abedini, an American citizen, may further harm the already fragile relationship that presently exists between our two nations.

On September 26, the one-year anniversary of Pastor Abedini’s imprisonment, thousands will attend prayer vigils in more than 70 U.S. cities, calling on your country to release this husband, father and servant of God. I join them by respectfully asking you to release Pastor Saeed Abedini from prison. Such an action would, I believe, have a positive impact in our nation, and might well be perceived by our leadership as a significant step in reducing tensions.

Respectfully yours,

Billy Graham

Click here to see the original letter.

Mr. Graham’s letter is read into the Congressional Record on September 26, 2013

1. TONI says:

Father, I stand in agreement with everyone praying for Pastor Saeed, for his release and for all who is in prison for there Christian beliefs!!!!!! In Jesus Christ name Amen…….

2. Bright says:

You are indeed my mentor. Lead the way. Thanks for the opportunity of know you and your ministry. Am a Ghanaian who strongly desires to meet Dr. Graham in person so he could impart unto me for ministry as a called evangelist like himself.

3. este says:

I thank God for Billy Graham and for all my brothers and sisters who are prayer warriors. I thank God for Pastor Saeed Abedini and his amazing Christian example. I pray that he feels the arms of our God wrapped tight around him.

4. Randall says:

Our hearts and prayers go out to these followers of Christ. May God be with you all. Enid, OK.

5. Nancy says:

We agree in prayer that our Brother Pastor Abedini will be released.

6. Noon says:

May God deliver Pastor Saeed from Suffering to freedom I believe God will give him power to overcome evil God is Great than any power in this world and in Heaven

7. NITA says:

Let us pray for this man of GOD — Father– Husband — may the hearts of the leaders of Iran — be softened from Stone to Flesh . Thank You Billy Graham for your letter to the Iran leaders.

8. Satyaveda says:

When I first heard the news in CBN News, my heart ached and immediately I prayed in my heart to save the pastor, join him with his family, church and his service to God. MAY GOD PROTECT AND HELP ALL HIS SERVANTS WHO ARE PUT TO SUCH PROBLEMS.

9. Meena says:

I apriciate pastor's courage. I believe the promise,” Matthew 18 : 18 –20″

10. Marcia says:

I heard about this wonderful man who is being unjustly imprisoned. He was doing a work of compassion, helping Iran at the time he was arrested. Islam claims it is a religion of peace. I hope they will repent, turn to Christ and release the man.