Billy Graham’s Letter to Iran’s President

By   •   September 24, 2013

saeed

President Hassan Rouhani

Islamic Republic of Iran

Sept. 23, 2013

Dear President Rouhani,

I have been watching with great concern about the case of Pastor Saeed Abedini, an American citizen who is currently a prisoner in your country. He was in Iran working to build an orphanage when he was arrested and later sentenced to eight years in prison. His situation has been receiving an increasingly high level of attention in the United States. Unfortunately this publicity has been entirely negative for Iran, with the belief that the primary reason for Pastor Abedini’s imprisonment was because of his Christian faith.

As you may know, as a religious leader I have often spoken (both publicly and also privately with our national leadership) about the need for greater understanding and peace among the nations of the world. As you come to the United States this week for the U.N. General Assembly in New York, it is my sincere hope that ways may be found to reduce the current tensions between the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran.

The announcement on Monday that your country has freed 80 political prisoners is very encouraging. I fear, however, that the current publicity surrounding the continued imprisonment of Pastor Abedini, an American citizen, may further harm the already fragile relationship that presently exists between our two nations.

On September 26, the one-year anniversary of Pastor Abedini’s imprisonment, thousands will attend prayer vigils in more than 70 U.S. cities, calling on your country to release this husband, father and servant of God. I join them by respectfully asking you to release Pastor Saeed Abedini from prison. Such an action would, I believe, have a positive impact in our nation, and might well be perceived by our leadership as a significant step in reducing tensions.

Respectfully yours,

Billy Graham

Click here to see the original letter.

Mr. Graham’s letter is read into the Congressional Record on September 26, 2013

1. raechell fayo says:

stay blessed:) Rev..Graham..the Lord will make a way…far beyond our understanding…Keep Praying for Pastor Saeed!!!

2. Fouad Remana Talamalek says:

Deus abençoe meu irmão Saeed , o nome de Jesus Cristo !! te amo meu verdadeiro irmão en Cristo Jesus

3. Dianna says:

I am Praying for Pastor Sneed to be Release to his Family that Loves Him Dearly I Pray to God that his Release will come soon Thank You Billy Graham For the Inspiration what I have Read in the letter you send to me our Lord is watching over him Tha

4. Felicia says:

My prayers goes out to Pastor Abedini and his family for his safe release. Also, we need to pray for Gay and Lesbian. One woman took prayer out of school. Thanks Rev. Graham for always standing in the gaps for our Country

5. Prabhu MEndU says:

Thanks Father, taking an initiative..i am from India, i know your the apostle in the current century.. yours loving son – Prabhu. MEndU.org

6. Gracie says:

Thank you for standing up and writing this letter on behalf of for our dear brother in the faith. My prayers and intercessions are with you. Blessings

7. Debra says:

Thank You Rev. Graham for bringing this to my attention. I have been praying for Pastor Saeed and his family. GOD will work with the prayer of the faithful. Please, remember this family in your prayers every day until his safe return home.

8. Marv says:

A wonderful letter, sent by God's messenger Dr. Billy Graham. May the new leader from Iran have a change of heart.

9. Bruce says:

Our sympathies are for the pastor and his family. It is our prayer that he will be released to his family soon as Mr Grahm has said.

10. rene says:

I agree the pastior should befree