Billy Graham: Why I Am Grateful at 93

By   •   November 3, 2011   •   Topics:

As I turn 93, I am thankful to the Lord that not long before my birthday, I was able to complete a book I’ve been working on for some time.

The book is called Nearing Home, and it’s about how to prepare for and face the challenges of growing old, and how to finish well. I’ve written down lessons and insights I wish I had learned earlier in life, because I have come to realize that although I know how to die, no one ever taught me how to grow old.

Even as I look forward to seeing Jesus Christ face to face, and to being reunited with Ruth, my parents, and a host of friends who have now gone on before me, God continues to give me time on earth. My failing eyesight keeps me from reading as I once did, and my physical stamina is low, but I have more time to pray. I talk to the Lord about the needs of family and friends, and about the work of evangelism that God has called us to at BGEA.

The Bible says, “This gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations” (Matthew 24:14, NIV), and that is what I pray for. It fills me with gratitude to know that God is using our ministry—through modern advances in communication—to reach more people with the Gospel today, in more countries, than ever in the history of BGEA.

God has allowed me to preach in person in over 185 countries during my lifetime, and I would like to preach again, but for now don’t have the strength to stand before an audience.

However, through the miracle of technology, God is graciously allowing me to proclaim the Good News in several countries this year—three of them where I never had the opportunity to lead a Crusade. Instead of a stadium, the My Hope project uses tens of thousands of home gatherings held simultaneously throughout an entire nation.

Christian families invite their nonbeliever neighbors and loved ones to watch evangelistic broadcasts prepared especially for a particular country. The programs have my Gospel messages carefully dubbed into the local language. Other programs have a message from Franklin. After each broadcast, hosts share their own testimony with the guests and invite them to turn to Jesus Christ in repentance and faith.

In Haiti recently, over 100,000 people made decisions for Christ as a result of My Hope. During December we are doing a similar evangelistic outreach across the African nation of Zambia, a land where I last preached 51 years ago, and in Portugal and Spain, European nations where God never opened the door for me to preach in person. Please pray with us that many will “put [their] hope in Christ” (Ephesians 1:12).

God is also blessing us with other wide-open doors for ministry.

Many thousands of individuals from all over the country and the world have reported giving their lives to the Savior Jesus Christ as a result of our new Internet evangelism (learn more at SearchforJesus.net).

And starting this year, we are reaching children around the world through a specially developed evangelism and discipleship program called The Greatest Journey. We believe we will see more than 3 million children using this wonderful material that not only teaches them the Scriptures and how to follow Christ, but also equips them to share Him with others.

I’m grateful that I have lived long enough to see these things happening. God says in the Bible, “Ask me, and I will make the nations your inheritance” (Psalm 2:8). Some refer to that as God’s own prayer request. He wants every nation to turn to Him. Join me in continuing to ask Him.

At this Thanksgiving season, I am especially grateful for each of you and for your support in prayer and financial gifts.

May God bless you,
Billy Graham

Will You Give Today?

Please help BGEA continue Billy Graham’s ministry for generations to come. Donate online today to ensure the Gospel will touch the hearts of families at home and around the world.

1. Pam says:

Happy Birthday Rev. Billy Graham. My father passed away in Sept. 2010. He took me to hear you speak at a crusade in Fresno, CA back in 1962 I believe. When I see a picture of you or hear your name I think of my dad. He respected you more than anyone.

2. David says:

Dear Billy Graham, Happy birthday to a true man of God! I wish to thank you for telling the truth of Jesus Christ boldly and without reservation, sometimes in the face of adversity. I came forward in a crusade in 1969 and have become a soldier for Christ. God bless you and your family. I had the privilege of seeing Franklin in person in Denver this summer. 6 of the 11 people in our caravan went forward to make a personal decisions to follow Jesus.

3. Nehemiah says:

Thank you for your books and writings. Dr.Billy.

4. Lillian says:

Happy 93rd birthday. You have greatly impacted my life.

5. Annie says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY REV. BILLY GRAHAM!!! Your life is inspired by the Holy Spirit. When we surrender our lives to the Holy Spirit, it's very easy to live a holy and pure life in this filthy world. Whole day I can listen to your sermons. How precious, how wonderful God's love and His Living Holy Word! God is not looking for our best, He is looking for our surrender. As you are my Spiritual father, I have no words to express my gratitude for you. God's Word declares, Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died (Deuteronomy 34:7). Precious Rev. Billy Graham, My greatest wish is for you the same. Also the Bible says, IF YOU WILL FIND THE PRECIOUS IN THE WORTHLESS, YOU WILL BE AT MY MOUTH (Jeremiah 15:19). Through your life God fulfilled His mighty promise! God bless you and your family always.

6. RONNIE says:

Happy Birthday Billy Graham, Your ministry and dedication to preaching Gods word has reached millions of people for Christ all over this world. The legacy of the BGEA is a awesome ministry, in my opinion and many others you have been a great Disciple for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ during your time here on this earth. GOD BLESS you and your Family

7. Ochana says:

Happy birthday Dr. Billy Graham! I admire your humility and faithfulness to the Lord for many years. Many preachers have been taken away by materialism, but you have remained on the true truth!

8. Diane says:

Thank you so much for what you have done through Christ to bring the gospel to so many people in so many nations. I became a child of God in 1957 at the Louisville crusade. I still feel the same joy that I felt on that day when I went down that long aisle to follow Jesus. I will never forget. Jesus is my all in all. Thank you Billy for following God's call on your life. Happy Birthday to you.

9. vincent says:

Thank you Billy, you're truly a man of God, ever since I became a believer, I have been watching your videos and I once wished that I could meet with you, but since I stay in the other part of the globe, its going to be impossible now. But I am sure that one day, I will be in heaven to be with our lord Jesus, and there we shall meet. Happy birthday Billy and God bless you.

10. FrancisWesley AWHO_Secbad says:

Long ago, there were great men (Moses, Elijah,John The Baptist …) who walked the earth carrying the Mantle of God. I am so blessed to live in this time when such men still exist. Dear Dr Billy Graham you are one of them who is still carrying the Gospel to All the Ends of the Earth. I Thank God also pray that He will continue to give you the strength until The Second Coming of our Lord!!! A Very Happy Birthday!!!