Billy Graham Home From Hospital

By   •   May 11, 2011

Evangelist Billy Graham returned to his home in Montreat, N.C., early Sunday afternoon following a five-day stay at nearby Mission Hospital in Asheville for treatment for pneumonia. Mr. Graham was hospitalized early on Wednesday, May 11. His physicians say his response to treatment for pneumonia has been excellent, and that he has regained strength, but emphasized that his recovery will be gradual.

“He has responded very well to treatment, with progressive improvement since his admission,” said Lucian Rice, MD, Mr. Graham’s primary care physician. “We expect continuing recuperation at home with very gradual recovery, returning to normal activities over several weeks. I’m delighted that he has come back this fast.”

Dr. Rice noted that Mr. Graham had experienced no complications as of his discharge. “It’s a really encouraging sign,” he said.

Upon leaving, Mr. Graham thanked the hospital staff for the care they have given him.

“I am grateful for this wonderful hospital so close to my home,” Mr. Graham said. “The physicians and staff have shown such skill and compassionate care. I am deeply touched by the prayers and best wishes of so many people for me, and I look forward to returning home and resuming my normal activities soon.”

During his hospital stay, Mr. Graham was able to continue with his usual routine, said A. Larry Ross, spokesperson for Mr. Graham. He had his usual weekly Bible study and prayer with his pastor, Dr. Don Wilton, on Thursday. He further enjoyed visits from one of his daughters and a grandchild, and interacting with hospital staff.

Ross added that during his time of recuperation at home, Mr. Graham will continue spending time in morning and evening Bible study and prayer with family and staff. He plans to keep informed of the ongoing ministry of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) under the leadership of his son, Franklin. As he has done in the hospital, he also hopes to continue to stay abreast of current events through nightly local and network television newscasts and cable programs. And, as his strength allows, he looks forward to eventually being able to receive visits from close personal friends.

Do You Know Someone Who Needs to Hear the Gospel?

Share this website with them right now.

1. Anit says:

Dr. Graham – I want to add to these other acknowledgments of your impact on lives. My father, a So. Baptist pastor for 20 years and now home with the Lord, respected you as a mentor in the faith. We watched every crusade that we had access to on television and he devoured your books. As a result, you are also my hero in the faith. I have long admired your faithfulness and integrity. One of my earliest memories is of being a little 4/5 year old girl standing in front of the TV watching you. Thank you for your ministry and your life example. My prayers are with you.

2. Randy says:

Hi Billy,This is Randy. I'm so happy you're getting well. The world is always better with you in it. I am 60 years old and I have always appreciated you and your ministry, especially since I was 18 when I was born again after watching you on TV. I am now pretty much retired but, 6 months before retiring from the State of Maine government, I heard and heeded the Master's call – I responded with obedience – just like you did and throughout your life as a minister of the Gospel. I now know the terror and the joy of preaching and teaching God's word as a Pastor. I thought you might find this interesting: I have this “knowing” deep within my core that the Lord has promised me life in this world until age 88 (and after that it will be more grace if I still live). I confess that the older I live, the more I want to go home to be with our Lord, although I don't have a death wish. I'm so sad that I, no doubt, will ever get to meet you but I am looking so forward to meeting you in heaven where I will thank you again for being obedient to the Call. God bless you, my Brother.

3. Alice says:

I have been reading all my Decisions and the books that I have gotten. I have been a follower of yours since you first held a revival in Phoenix but I listened to all your TV too I just wanted you to know that my ex husband was ill with cancer so I came to take care of him. If I was reading my bible he would ask me to read to him.He wasn't a believer but I prayed all the time to have God to come into his life before he would die. The Lord came to me in a dream and said I could get him saved by me having him repeat after me the sinners prayer and put water on his head to baptize him. I got up got a cup of water and my Decision that was laying on the table open to the sinners prayer.He let me do what the Lord told me to do.And he had been a man with evil in him,but he was saved that morning. He was a complete different man from that day on. His grandson came to see him at Hospice He asked him what had happened to grandpa he didn't have that evil look in his eyes. this has been a blessing for me as I had prayed for him for years.My children are all believers. God Bless you for all my blessing as I have along time God loving person. Jesus has carried me for many years. I was a little and my Mom always took us to church and we lived way out of town on the ranch. But my Mom held Sunday school, we had 11 of us kids. so I rattled off enough but am so pleased that you are well enough to go home.God Bless you and all your family.

4. Cathi says:

I'm so thankful that you are recovering nicely at home. Our Lord is an awesome God, for sure. Yourministry has been a blessing to me since a was a small girl of 7 years old…that's 53 years ago now!! Your dedication and faithfulness is so inspiring, and humbling to me at the same time. I pray that you continue to become stronger, and that our precious Jesus will continue to bless you and your loved ones!

5. Judy says:

Mr. Graham, I thank you and praise God for your godly example, as well as your preaching, throughout your years of ministry. I remember seeing you preach on tv 53 years ago. May the Lord give you joy, health and peace.

6. sam david says:

We love you Billy

7. Evelyn says:

May our precious Lord touch and heal you. We need your prayers for our world today. I look forward to seeing you in heaven!!!

8. Tina says:

You have been a part of my life since I was a child and my Godly Grandma taught me to listen to you on radio. Daily I pray for your healing thru the power of Jesus Christ our heavenly brother. May God continue to bless you.

9. DEANA says:

I AM A TRUE BELIEVER OF THE LORD GOD, JESUS CHRIST. I LOVE YOU BILLY GRAHAM. WHEN I WAS A DJ IN CLUBS, I WOULD TURN TO LISTEN TO YOU. I AM A DEVOTED PRAYER WARRIOR AND LOVER OF THE LORD GOD. YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS FOR WHOLENESS AND STRENGTH IN YOUR BODY AND LIFE. THANK YOU FOR STAYING TRUE TO GOD, TO JESUS. YOU ARE A TRUE SAINT AND I LOVE YOU DEARLY NOW AND ALWAYS. I HAVE NO MONEY NOW, BUT WHEN I DO GET MONIES, I PROMISE TO CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR MINISTRY. MISS WILLIE DEANA HILL. THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

10. Deborah says:

Thank you for always being there in my life preaching the gospel. Giving me hope and salvation through Jesus who died for my sins. I am thankful to God for you. I am glad you are home and doing well. My prayers are with you.