Billy Graham Among Most Admired 56th Time

By   •   January 2, 2013

For the 56th time since 1955, Billy Graham has made the USA Today/Gallup Top 10 list of Most Admired Men in the World.

Mr. Graham tied for third in this year’s voting, along with presidential candidate Mitt Romney, former President George W. Bush and Pope Benedict XVI. President Obama topped the list, followed by Nelson Mandela.

According to Gallup, the survey began in 1946 and simply asks Americans an open-ended question to name, without prompting, the most admired person living in any part of the world. This year’s survey took place Dec. 19-22.

The founder of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association in 1950, Mr. Graham was one of three in this year’s Top 10 without ties to the U.S. government or politics.

After releasing his 30th book, Nearing Home, in October of 2011, Mr. Graham is currently working on his 32nd book, expected to be released this year.

He also has a burning passion to reach this country for Christ and is championing My Hope with Billy Graham, a nationwide outreach to be held in November 2013, in conjunction with his 95th birthday on Nov. 7.  Find out more about how to get involved with My Hope

“Only the Gospel, God’s Good News, has the power to change lives, heal hearts, and restore a nation,” Mr. Graham wrote in a recent letter. “It is my passionate, heartfelt desire to see God change hearts and lives in every community in America, and I pray He will stir the same desire in you.”

Mr. Graham, who has proclaimed the Gospel in 185 countries to nearly 215 million people, stands alone in number of years in Gallup’s Top 10.  Second to his 56 years is Ronald Reagan (31 times), Pope John Paul II (27 times) and former President Jimmy Carter (27 times).

Most Top 10 Finishes for Most Admired Man

1. Billy Graham (56)

2. Ronald Reagan (31)

3. Pope John Paul II (27)

4. Jimmy Carter (27)

5. Dwight Eisenhower (21)

6. Richard Nixon (21)

7. Bill Clinton (21)

8. Harry Truman (20)

9. Nelson Mandela (20)

10. George H.W. Bush (20)

1. Pat says:

Dr. Graham should be #1.. he IS in my book!

2. mark says:

Mr. Graham has had more influence in my life than any other person, by far. I truly believe at this moment he is God's Man on Earth. I love him so much and thank God for him. I also am so thankful that Franklin has picked up the Mantle.

3. Beth says:

May the Lord will lengthen your life because the world needs you..God bless you, dear Billy Graham. I have known you since childhood..

4. Patricia says:

I admire the integretiy of the Graham team. they did not let the world sway their commitment to God and His calling.

5. Dennis says:

No better man…..

6. Kerri says:

I love Billy Graham, he is a wonderful God fearing man that has inspired people all over the world. I honor his dedication to serving our one and only God.

7. Rob says:

My earliest recollection of Billy would have been in 1949 when as a 9 year old boy I heard of the L.A Crusade. He has been a great inspiration for me thoughourt my entire life and ministry – Rob Golding, New Zealand

8. Phoenecia says:

My husband was diagnosed with cancer and he was a truck driver on the road. He stopped for the night He watched one of Billy Grahams televised crusades and was saved that night. This was Nov 2004 and my husband died Dec 26 2004. Thank You

9. carole says:

He stood strong for the Lord and helped millions of other people find him too. He never wavered in his faith and lived his life according to his beliefs. The Lord was always first in his life.

10. Deborah Schubert says:

He has always had a burning compassion for souls even especially now.