Billy Graham Among Most Admired 56th Time

By   •   January 2, 2013

For the 56th time since 1955, Billy Graham has made the USA Today/Gallup Top 10 list of Most Admired Men in the World.

Mr. Graham tied for third in this year’s voting, along with presidential candidate Mitt Romney, former President George W. Bush and Pope Benedict XVI. President Obama topped the list, followed by Nelson Mandela.

According to Gallup, the survey began in 1946 and simply asks Americans an open-ended question to name, without prompting, the most admired person living in any part of the world. This year’s survey took place Dec. 19-22.

The founder of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association in 1950, Mr. Graham was one of three in this year’s Top 10 without ties to the U.S. government or politics.

After releasing his 30th book, Nearing Home, in October of 2011, Mr. Graham is currently working on his 32nd book, expected to be released this year.

He also has a burning passion to reach this country for Christ and is championing My Hope with Billy Graham, a nationwide outreach to be held in November 2013, in conjunction with his 95th birthday on Nov. 7.  Find out more about how to get involved with My Hope

“Only the Gospel, God’s Good News, has the power to change lives, heal hearts, and restore a nation,” Mr. Graham wrote in a recent letter. “It is my passionate, heartfelt desire to see God change hearts and lives in every community in America, and I pray He will stir the same desire in you.”

Mr. Graham, who has proclaimed the Gospel in 185 countries to nearly 215 million people, stands alone in number of years in Gallup’s Top 10.  Second to his 56 years is Ronald Reagan (31 times), Pope John Paul II (27 times) and former President Jimmy Carter (27 times).

Most Top 10 Finishes for Most Admired Man

1. Billy Graham (56)

2. Ronald Reagan (31)

3. Pope John Paul II (27)

4. Jimmy Carter (27)

5. Dwight Eisenhower (21)

6. Richard Nixon (21)

7. Bill Clinton (21)

8. Harry Truman (20)

9. Nelson Mandela (20)

10. George H.W. Bush (20)

1. Janet says:

Billy Graham is WORTHY for this honor!!

2. Helen says:

Thanks for being obedient to God's calling. The greatest evangelist I've ever heard. God bless you and your family.

3. Emily says:

Billy Graham, you are an awesome true man of God, we watched your preaching on T.V everytime you were on.Your messages were clear,to the point,interesting and so true. God's word is not a lie,it is the most comforting word for everyone! God bless you

4. Sherri says:

Every since I attended a Billy Graham Film Festival back when I was eleven, Billy Graham and BGEA have been in my life and has helped me gain a loser relationship with Jesus. I am so grateful. I know that my life would never be the same .

5. ken says:

i was at a crusade in Boston, when Mr Graham refused to take a collection for the remaining nights of the crusade because he had met the financial needs for the stadium rental.he could have collected thousands more each remaining night.

6. denise says:

for many many years , billy graham has touched me ,,, in a special spiritual way . as he ministered over the years i always saw the same BILLY GRAHAM , HE NEVER CHANGED , HIS MINISTRY , I COULD SEE THE TRUTH OF GOD AS A YOUNG GIRL ,as he preached

7. evelyn says:

B.Graham is a man of God, rightly to be admired and imitated. May the Lord give him the strength to continue to reach people for Christ. Bless you!!

8. Jane says:

His dedication to bringing all people to God and to remind this great nation that God is the foundation for our being here is very admirable. Keep the reminders coming we need them more now than ever before.

9. Willard Cagle says:

Thank God for my parents who sat us all down in front of our black and white TV to hear Billy Graham talk about the need for us to repent and turn to the Lord Jesus for forgiveness and Salvation. Just As I Am still rings in my soul to this day.

10. retta says:

Mr. Graham should be at the top of every list. He is a Great Man of God.