Answers: Struggling with Patience?

By   •   January 23, 2014

patience

Q: If I had to make a list of my faults, the first thing on the list would have to be “impatience.” I wish I was a more patient person, but I’m afraid it just isn’t in me to be that way. Does the Bible say anything about this?

A: Yes, the Bible certainly talks about impatience and the bad things it can bring into our lives — just as it talks about patience and its benefits. The Bible says, “Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly” (Proverbs 14:29).

Why is impatience harmful? First of all, it harms us — physically, emotionally and spiritually. But it also harms our relationship with others. Impatience easily turns into anger or even violence, and these are the opposite of God’s plan for us. The Bible says, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23).

Have you ever asked yourself when you’re most likely to become impatient? It’s probably when something happens that delays you or changes your plans, and over which you have no control. But if you can’t do anything about it, why get upset? I know that’s easier said than done, but simply realizing that you can’t change the situation may help you relax and accept it. The Bible says, “A person’s wisdom yields patience” (Proverbs 19:11).

The key, however, is to realize that patience — true, lasting patience — isn’t something we can develop on our own. Instead, it’s a gift from God, given to us by the Holy Spirit. Have you ever confessed your impatient spirit to God, and asked Him to make you a more patient person? He will, as you yield your life and your emotions to Christ, and then seek to become more like Him.

Read more on this topic:

Ruth Bell Graham had a few things to say about patience…and persistence.

Billy Graham talks about the fruits of the Spirit.

More Answers

Read thoughtful responses to a wide assortment of questions from Billy Graham’s My Answer and other resources.

1. Julia Ashford says:

Thank u so much for the answer to this question…i Shall ask God for his help with this.

2. Matt says:

I know this feeling all to well, and I’m experiencing this difficult situation once again on a greater scale. For seven years I have been struggling with getting ahead in life. Prayer after prayer I have asked the Lord for his guidance and wisdom to know where He wants my life to be. I gave Him my life and trust what He is doing. I just don’t know what He is doing at this time. Patience is a true blessing and I struggle to be patient with God as His will is in the works. I become confused to know what I need to do as I continue with this situation, and wonder if there is something He wants me to pursue as I travel this road? I am truly loss and wish the answers were easier to find. My last situation lasted ten years and fear this may go further than the last?

3. Janet Wilson says:

Thank you for sharing! A great topic for a bible study; home or church. May God bless you all as you do His work.

4. Eugenia Jones says:

Thank you for encouraging me inthe word. Good Godly counsel for the perfecting of the saints

5. Lucy Nkatta says:

I feel relieved and blessed after reading this sermon on impatience, for sometime now I have find myself in this situation and it has given me a lot of concern, reading this sermon has stir me up to pray more for this gift and I have the assurance that God fill my heart with this gift Amen

6. Alex Kargbo says:

I stammar a lot and I think I get vex very quickly..Especially with my wife..It is true that Patienct comes from God..Can u please help me pray so I can overcome that bad trick

7. Mary Lou Buchta says:

I am trying so hard to be patient and trust God. My husband had his second massive stroke that has left him blind, paralyzed and on a feeding tube, with huge brain damage. He had lost half his sight with an earlier stroke 9 1/2 years ago in which God gave him many miracles. He was at heaven’s door at that time and came back from the brink of death 2 times. But now Jerry seems to be regressing and not going forward and if this is true they will take him out of rehab. This information struck me very hard last Saturday. The first time God was clear and adamant about his recovery. This time He seems so much farther away or maybe I am just not hearing and trusting as I should. I love the LORD so very much and read and study and journal every day. I am so grateful…but get so sad to see Jerry this way. I know all things work for good for those who are called…and I think that God will use this situation as He has used others to draw people to Himself. I know I need to just stand strong in the Word of God..and trust His timing but it is hard.

1. Oliver Obasi says:

I really sympathize with you for is your trail moment and only through by God,s grace can one be able to carry such cross. My hearty prayer is that God will be your strength and heal him in Jesus mighty name. Amen

8. Curt says:

very good, patient reminder. Amen

9. Indu Rai says:

Thanks for the sermon.I agree whole heartedly with it for without patience we can not go ahead in our life.Impatience i s harmful.If we work with impatience,devil gets chance to attack us and make us fall.Right now I ask God to help me to condemn the spirit of impatience if it is working in my life.I am blessed with this scripture.thank you

10. Monty Hughes says:

Patience is difficult. It comes from God. Pray to Jesus Christ every day for patience and it will be granted.