Answers: Struggling with Patience?

By   •   January 23, 2014

patience

Q: If I had to make a list of my faults, the first thing on the list would have to be “impatience.” I wish I was a more patient person, but I’m afraid it just isn’t in me to be that way. Does the Bible say anything about this?

A: Yes, the Bible certainly talks about impatience and the bad things it can bring into our lives — just as it talks about patience and its benefits. The Bible says, “Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly” (Proverbs 14:29).

Why is impatience harmful? First of all, it harms us — physically, emotionally and spiritually. But it also harms our relationship with others. Impatience easily turns into anger or even violence, and these are the opposite of God’s plan for us. The Bible says, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23).

Have you ever asked yourself when you’re most likely to become impatient? It’s probably when something happens that delays you or changes your plans, and over which you have no control. But if you can’t do anything about it, why get upset? I know that’s easier said than done, but simply realizing that you can’t change the situation may help you relax and accept it. The Bible says, “A person’s wisdom yields patience” (Proverbs 19:11).

The key, however, is to realize that patience — true, lasting patience — isn’t something we can develop on our own. Instead, it’s a gift from God, given to us by the Holy Spirit. Have you ever confessed your impatient spirit to God, and asked Him to make you a more patient person? He will, as you yield your life and your emotions to Christ, and then seek to become more like Him.

Read more on this topic:

Ruth Bell Graham had a few things to say about patience…and persistence.

Billy Graham talks about the fruits of the Spirit.

More Answers

Read thoughtful responses to a wide assortment of questions from Billy Graham’s My Answer and other resources.

1. Betty Howard says:

Yes, I try to remember to “trust in the Lord and lean not on my understanding” HE is incharge.

2. lisa boggia says:

3. lisa boggia says:

4. Thomas kuruvilla says:

Jesus was given to mankind as a gift of god 2000 years ago. Billy graham is the gift of our time as a gift from Jesus . May Jesus continue to abide in him for his comfort ,our edification and gods glory.

5. Marie Rushing says:

Thank you for the reminder.

6. sukhui says:

Person I know who speaks slowly and talks a lot but she doesn’t have patience to listen to others. I think that’s very sad.

7. Velma Nugent says:

This has been a blessing to me this morning,thanks so much.

8. Maria says:

My ex husband divorced me, he accussed me of adultery and I was heartbroken, I accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into my heart May 3, 1993 and have not regreted it, I struggle with patience because I wondered why did the Lord let this happen, but I know that one day the truth will be revealed once and for all…Please Pray for my ex husband, he’s angry, bitter at me and has been for over 7 years, I pray for him daily, and Pray that the Lord takes away his stony heart and gives him a heart of flesh.

9. Hugh Williamson says:

I hope a “gentle joke will not be out of order. An incredibly sweet lady was was once addressed by her minister as follows. “Agnes, i do believe you could find something nice to say about the devil himself.” She thought a moment and said, “Well, he’s very persistent!!”

10. Ruth says:

As things get worse in America, more get further away from faith and reason, people withdraw from each other because they do not trust anyone……It is hard to have patience to wade through it all, as we head into the end times. I feel so sad that everything is such a mess and satan is attacking all around causing good people to have bad things happen trying to break their spirit and faith. There is a great need for extra shoring up of the Lord for those of us waiting on His return. Help me be a patient ‘waiter’ and child of god…